• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your biggest hopes for Xenoblade Chronicles 3?

I haven't decided if I like X more than the original or not. I would definitely be interested in something similar to X with real online co-op, though, rather than just an AI-controlled version of my homie's character.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
A non silent protagonist who actually gets involved with the plot.
That's still by far my biggest problem with Chronicles X, whilst the first game got the characters perfect.

I rather liked that your character is just a cog in the machine, its a really good cog storywise, but its not revolved around you.

finalflame

No more fucking mechs. Return to form with focus on a great narrative, less boring grindy MMO-lite sidequests. Sawano not allowed anywhere near the studio. More interesting world with more explorable locations and not only a single NPC settlement. Expand on the Nopons culture and history, much more Nopons. Nopons.

Opening scene includes Tatsu being brutally murdered by an elaborate killing machine.

beef3483

Better character designs and stories. Some of the characters were so hard to take seriously. In X there was alien you had to fight which wore a bikini so that her breasts and ass were hanging out. I mean, c'mon.
This is just one example. The people with tiny wings growing out of their head in the original were dumb too. What purpose exactly did those serve?

Lagamorph

I rather liked that your character is just a cog in the machine, its a really good cog storywise, but its not revolved around you.
Being a cog in the machine is fine, but when that cog seems to be just along for the ride and has no real active involvement whilst everyone around him does....

skypunch

Banned
Being a cog in the machine is fine, but when that cog seems to be just along for the ride and has no real active involvement whilst everyone around him does....

Yeah, after 100+ hours with a custom avatar in XCX, I'm really yearning for another good 'ol predefined protagonist story from Monolith.

rhandino

Banned
1) A continuation of the story established in Xenoblade X
I'm not saying straight up sequel but a game in the same universe but with members of the others Arks that left the Earth
maybe one of the arks that put real bodies on stasis unlike the ones by Project Exodus

2) Something akin to the Reconstruction of Colony 6 from the original game.
At first I thought that NLA was going to slowly evolve along the story but beyond some changes the city was never completed by the end of the game. It would be nice if you get to help in the reconstruction and growth of the new city.

3) SKELLS! THE NEXT GAME NEED TO KEEP THEM!
Seriously, the wait for the Skells was incredible long but it was oh so worthy in the end because those machines were glorious to use and added another layer to the combat and while you can find pretty broken weapons like the Phoenix or the Deathscythe that would make combat trivial (but not by much) the sense of scale that you get when fighting on foot versus a giant robot then running towards YOUR robot and then fighting on equal foot is unmatched imho.

And if you are going to keep them then create more models. I liked the variety offered in Xenoblade X but I didn't liked that the only pure 4 wheel Skell was the tanky Inferno model (which is my favorite btw) and I can't say I liked the Amdusias and Mastema vehicles modes even if their default forms are incredible good.

4) Better inventory Management
One of my least favorite things in both Xenoblade games is that the inventory systems are very clunky and there are no options to sell or dispose quickly of the trash items you don't want or a way to mark items you don't want to sell (like the default armors of the PC or the unique pieces of clothing)

5) Playable Characters of other Races
THIS, I need this! Why can't I have an Orphean or a Wrothian playable character? Why are the Nopon payed dust in this game when Rikki was one the best playable characters in the original game? The next game need playable characters from the vast amount of races they have with their own unique classes.

6) Keep the story structure of Xenoblade X
This is kind of wild for me but I loved how the story was structured in Xenoblade X more than in XC because it felt like a TV show where you have the main plot in 12 Chapters but in between them you have all this personal stories, sidequests about random people in NLA, hunts, arms testing, etc... and it made the total freedom to explore the world make sense instead of what happened in Xenoblade Chronicles were you need to do something urgent but you can totally forget about that and go back and explore for DAYS Gaur Plains while the plot is halted until you return.

7) They need to keep the Character Creator
Character creator in a big game like this is amazing and while the one for this game was serviceable I think they need to make it more robust for future games.

I liked how the Avatar was just a sidekick for the real main protagonists (Elma and Lin) during the Main Story but he was his very own person during the vast amount of sidequests so yeah, keep the Avatar.

jdstorm

Banned
I'm not sure how can they add space travel that easily, as the ending suggest that
they can't leave Mira, since their consciousness is gone from the LifeHold. Therefore only Elma could leave the planet with other Xenoforms.
But maybe that could just work.

I too hope for a sequel, hopefully we'll get one one day.

I think the ending was quite ambiguous and I'm sure there are a few interesting stories a talented writer could mine from it.

Jyester

Although I am currently enjoying X very much, I can't get around just how bad the writing is, especially coming off the first Xenoblade. Elma is serviceable, but Lin and Tatsu are awful. Especially Tatsu. Goddamnit I hate that fucker. Who in their right mind thought that the "Tatsu isn't food" joke would be funny to keep going for the entire game? I truly cannot fathom what lapse of reason must have taken place at Monolith for the writing in this game to turn out this badly.

Also, no more silent protagonists. The cast treats you like a mentally-challenged mute at times. Sure helps me feel a part of the world.

Seriously, you guys probably got over this a while ago, but playing this I am constantly flabbergasted by just how much worse the writing is compared to the first game.

Besides that - the world and battle system are great. I actually like the music too, although I have to give the nod to the first Xenoblade. Keep this type of world-building, make it a little less grindy, get a better script and voice actors like the first one and we got ourselves a winner. Can't wait to get my Skell (currently 18 hours in).

Most of my minor gripes have been addressed in the thread, with the exception that if you're going to make everything episodic, allow the player to re-play their favorite episodes.

A few on my wish list:

1. Item management and finding items is very clunky in XCX. It's easy to see what each enemy drops, but what the player really needs is the reverse-lookup. They need to see a "heat map" of the grazing zones of enemies that drop a certain item. Even better, allow the player to set the "mission" to a certain piece of equipment and create a heat map that overlays the quick-travel map showing the "best" zones to find each material that is required to make that equipment.

2. Global weather patterns. The weather effects were pretty neat, but it would bring the world together a bit more if there was an option of a weather overlay on the quick-travel map. If you saw that there was a thunderstorm in Oblivia, you could predict that the storm would pass over the grazing zone of a tyrant that only shows up during thunderstorms. Furthermore, allow the player to affect the global weather patterns with probes/droids like in some of the squad missions. Maybe, instead of just waiting for a thunderstorm to pass over the tyrant's grazing zone, you could sow the seeds of a thunderstorm and watch it develop.

3. Seasons. Allowing all areas to have all types of weather is unrealistic with a limited budget, but if you keep it so that each area has a few different types of weather, it's not a big deal to make rainy, windy, or dry seasons.

4. Migrations. Animals have all sorts of interesting behaviors, and it's a shame that the fauna is limited to being stuck in one tiny zone. The grazing heat map would remove the possibility of being unable to find a certain species.

Greddleok

An actual story. Chronicles X, fuck, the cutscenes were so boring, I had no investment in any of the characters and most of the dialogue was bland (having shit voice actors didn't help either).

N4Wm2Vc.jpg

Screw that. Replace them with μ's and retcon the Love Live movie, showing them becoming mecha pilots on an unknown planet and make all popular pairings canon.

Also add in missions as polished as Witcher 3.

keero16

Neo Member
All I want is a good story like the first game. Ugh, X was so disappointing in that regard. This would mostly be solved by having no avatar character, it served no point in the story at all and was really dumb.

Wow and reviewed pretty well damn I'm gonna have to find time for this.

If you loved and enjoyed the first one and remembered the story this game will be a freaking heavenly treat for you. The way the story comes together is going to blow your mind. It adds backstory to some of the characters you know from part 1 and makes you appreciate those characters a lot more. And there will be some revelations that make you go WTF?!? And the gameplay is terrific. Soooo fun. HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

MomoQca

If you loved and enjoyed the first one and remembered the story this game will be a freaking heavenly treat for you. The way the story comes together is going to blow your mind. It adds backstory to some of the characters you know from part 1 and makes you appreciate those characters a lot more. And there will be some revelations that make you go WTF?!? And the gameplay is terrific. Soooo fun. HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Uh...this must be a sarcastic joke. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the story, but this sounds a tad bit exaggerated.

Top Bottom