• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your biggest hopes for Xenoblade Chronicles 3?

skypunch

Banned
Question is in the thread title.

My personal hopes are for a more story-focused game, a cast size similar to the first Xenoblade, & an overall structure that is closer to the first Xenoblade. I also want Sawano out & Mitsuda/ACE+/Kiyota back. If not those guys, then any composer(s) other than Sawano will do. I also want another predefined protagonist instead of a custom avatar & a return to a British dub.

I'd like to try an action combat system, similar to what you have in The Witcher 3 & FFXV.

I wouldn't mind seeing the online stuff being scrapped. I've never cared about online in Monolith Soft RPGs.

I'd like some of the systems from XCX to return, such as character Skills & Arms Manufacturers, & some systems to not return, such as gathering quests & other extra fluff.

And finally, I'd like player-controlled mechs to return, but I'd like them to be given a different design to freshen things up.

I also want the online stuff out. Especially since that's what lead to the custom, non-character protagonist, which in turn lead to the thin story.

alpha69

Just conclude the story. That ending was painful for XCX. I need XCX2 in my life. They had something great going there imo, but they stopped too early and left everything hanging. :(

EhoaVash

bring back the composers from Xenoblade 1, a more character driven story like shulk instead of mute character.

BUT with Xenoblade X's combat system and open world exploration elements. exploring that game was so much fun.

also less menu pls lol and a good upgrade / easy to understand inventory system ._.
I could never get grasp of what equipment is good/ whats bad .

Basically a combination of the previous two games. Merge XBC'S deep narrative and character subplots with X's improved battle system, side quests, and overworld.

Also, Yuki Kajura as composer.

Celegus

Readable text would be pretty cool. And the silent protagonist really didn't work for XCX, would rather have interesting characters like the first game.

No Sawano.

Have end game combat be as compelling as mid/beginning game combat.

If you're going to put a super focus on exploration, level scale certain zones so I can explore without having to die 50 times.

Yoko composing and an overhauled combat system. The mmo combat gets old fast

Edit: Also replace the character artists and give the environment artists a raise

Chase17

Finally going to play X over the summer. Heard a lot of mixed things so I'm curious where my experience will land.

I can already say that I'd like a return to a more central story if what I've heard is true.

Zebei

I want Melia back
I'll allow it

I would be pretty happy for it just to exist.

Larger focus on story similar to the first one

No awkward, silent avatar character

music on par with the first game and none of this

A world as fun to explore as Mira (assuming it isn't already Mira)

Having a colorful cast of characters and actually using them instead of focusing on just 2

Seriously why couldn't Elma just be the focus even if she was a bit awkward

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I would like a sequel to X.

Along with that the same composers that did Chronciles.

No more Sawano

Also, it needs to focus on the main story like it was in chronicles but keep the sidequests style from X.

Malus

I don't know how but I hope you'll still be able to jump 20 ft in the air. Also keep the no fall damage.

There was a ton of great content in X but there was also a lot of rough edges that should be cut out. Focusing on having a great main story like the original is probably more suitable to them and their team size/budget than trying to have a shit ton of sidequests + a story.

MoonFrog

-Plays like an updated Chrono Trigger: turn-based, teamwork skills, etc.

-Mitsuda

-Better inclusion of giant robots in the battle system.

-Story driven.

-A memorable cast.

Just Xenoblade Chronicles X with a much stronger narrative focus. That game gave me a lot of what I want out of a game.

Have the avatar be voiced with a personality you can define.

While I really love the all the affinity quest story lines if you much cut them down just have 1 mission for lower characters and 2 missionary for close party members.

I like way too much of X over the original Xenoblade such as the more realistic setting, battle system, open world and mech combat. Mira is incredible.

El Odio

Banned
What additions made the combat so deep compared to the first? Felt like I was doing pretty much the same as the first one for most of the game.
Soul voice and the cooldown system made it feel a lot more active and involved. In Chronicles you'd (or at least I would) go and use my arts right at the start, in proper positioning or conditions mind you, and then its just letting the AA go for about half a minute till the cooldowns up, rinse repeat. In X the soul voice/commands and lack of healing arts meant you had to be a bit smarter with when you used your arts and whether or not it was in your interest to use it on the first or second cooldown.

Soul voice and the cooldown system made it feel a lot more active and involved. In Chronicles you'd (or at least I would) go and use my arts right at the start, in proper positioning or conditions mind you, and then its just letting the AA go for about half a minute till the cooldowns up, rinse repeat. In X the soul voice/commands and lack of healing arts meant you had to be a bit smarter with when you used your arts and whether or not it was in your interest to use it on the first or second cooldown.

Don't think I ever touched the soul voice feature, they were throwing so much at me in the beginning and I completely forgot about it.

paolo11

A sequel of X and more focus on Skells. The combat of X is amazing. If they can improve on that, it would be a dream.

The people asking for no Sawano are basically terrorist.

Personally, I want it to largely be X, but with a smaller cast that more actively interacts with each other.

A longer, more involved main plot would be great, but not at the expense of the world building affinity quests and normal missions.

Keep the character customisation. The custom sidekick to the real lead is a JRPG trope I love and want to see more of.

Illucio

Banned
- Not to force people to do fetch quests in order to progress with the main story.

- Be more story (or STORIES) focused.

- More actual quests (or side quests), ones you prep for, have suspense and story tied to them, stop with these stupid fetch quests. (Oh I lost a ring in this general area, find it for me.)

- If you have to have fetch quests make them invisible objectives that are automatically running/added just by walking pass someone without taking it on yourself, the focus is to just play as usual and get a little extra experience for killing 10 monsters you would had already gonna kill just because they were int he way or you were grinding.

- Don't make empty open worlds just for the sake of being big. Exploring empty plains is boring as F.

- Don't be like X and force you to use the same 2 party members until the very end of the game because you need them to do quests. While the 1 party member you never had to use is weak like a slime when you are finally forced to use em.

- Auto saving. Please. It's 2016, this was practically essential 10 years ago.

- Customizable main characters is still OKAY. But you can still write their story as being deep and meaningful like Shulk's was.

- Mechs are cool

- Don't hold off mechs until the last minute when you have already completed and explored 70% of the map. Or give them some mundane tasks to achieve them, how about just providing a regular tutorial on how to use them/having to practice a mission or two with them then letting us keep them and go on from there?

- If the game is open world be more like Skyrim or Witcher, there is one main quest but you don't have to do it. You can just explore the world and create your own adventure with many big/meaningful questlines, with the main quest being slightly longer then the rest.

If it's linear then maintain nice pacing, give us reasons to explore previous areas, and don't try and drag out the game in any way if it's a 60 hour story based game. Just let us get straight to the point and progress.

Basic gameplay system in XCX is pretty amazing. Probably the best gameplay a JRPG has had.
The story and structure from the first game felt "epic" with a lot of freedom and a solid story.
A mixture of the two would be great.
Maybe a slight action based RPG feel where you can swing your sword by pressing a button.
Basic combos with block/dodge on top of arts would be cool

random25

Gameplay of XCX is really fine. Just need some more tweaks like better targeting of body parts and maybe they can add the ability to attack while in vehicle more (at least the ranged weapons).

For online, I think they did it just fine. Not obtrusive to single player mode and actually useful for material gathering. If they still include it, they need to fix the ability to reconnect once you got disconnected or started the game offline. I just don't want to reset every time I need to reconnect. And I hope they add something of a trade or personal shop system where people can place in materials online to sell for added money or to trade stuff that may be beneficial for both parties. Maybe online stuff without the need for a player-created avatar would be nice so as we can eliminate complaints about a silent protagonist or something.

For the basic side quests, I don't really see the reason why they need to be removed. I mean, they are optional and you can just play and finish the game without bothering much about them. Maybe what would be nice is getting more specific locations indicated for collectopedia and bestiary. After all, placing probes and surveying the world to improve the FrontierNav should enable you more access for more info. That should really improve doing quests.

Save points should be more than one. That should fix the complaints about getting stuck to affinity quests lol.

As for music, Sawano's work on XCX is really good despite the huge uproar. There's just a lot of good tracks there. But what I really want is for ACE+ to get back into the series as they really made a mark in gaming music with some of their best works in XBC. Maybe a collab between 2 to 3 artists/composers would really be good.

As for story, all I want right now is to have the mysteries in XCX be solved in the sequel. They just introduced a lot of questions at the end that keep a lot of people hanging lol. Whether we have another player avatar for protagonist, Elma, or a new character for the lead role, I just want the questions in the first game get the conclusion they deserve.

More mech designs, more shops, more technologies, just give us more (and there's a ton already in the first game lol). And the entirety of Mira should be there on the next game. Yeah I know we have more continents there, Monolithsoft.

Banned
Return to form with story being the central focus. Enough of the side quests.
This. A little more linearity won't hurt. More like Xenoblade 1 but keep the mechs. Have the main character defined and voiced. Not some custom avatar.

skypunch

Banned
I think SolicitorPirate likes the late night NLA sex theme.

Sawano was not great in the game. Sure a few tracks but.... No. No more.

I honestly don't think I could stomach *another* Sawano soundtrack. His style just seems to get old much quicker than other composers. I think it's his lack of nuance & subtlety.

Top Bottom