• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your biggest hopes for Xenoblade Chronicles 3?

El Odio

Banned
Gameplay of XCX is really fine. Just need some more tweaks like better targeting of body parts and maybe they can add the ability to attack while in vehicle more (at least the ranged weapons).

For online, I think they did it just fine. Not obtrusive to single player mode and actually useful for material gathering. If they still include it, they need to fix the ability to reconnect once you got disconnected or started the game offline. I just don't want to reset every time I need to reconnect. And I hope they add something of a trade or personal shop system where people can place in materials online to sell for added money or to trade stuff that may be beneficial for both parties. Maybe online stuff without the need for a player-created avatar would be nice so as we can eliminate complaints about a silent protagonist or something.

For the basic side quests, I don't really see the reason why they need to be removed. I mean, they are optional and you can just play and finish the game without bothering much about them. Maybe what would be nice is getting more specific locations indicated for collectopedia and bestiary. After all, placing probes and surveying the world to improve the FrontierNav should enable you more access for more info. That should really improve doing quests.

Save points should be more than one. That should fix the complaints about getting stuck to affinity quests lol.

As for music, Sawano's work on XCX is really good despite the huge uproar. There's just a lot of good tracks there. But what I really want is for ACE+ to get back into the series as they really made a mark in gaming music with some of their best works in XBC. Maybe a collab between 2 to 3 artists/composers would really be good.

As for story, all I want right now is to have the mysteries in XCX be solved in the sequel. They just introduced a lot of questions at the end that keep a lot of people hanging lol. Whether we have another player avatar for protagonist, Elma, or a new character for the lead role, I just want the questions in the first game get the conclusion they deserve.

More mech designs, more shops, more technologies, just give us more (and there's a ton already in the first game lol). And the entirety of Mira should be there on the next game. Yeah I know we have more continents there, Monolithsoft.
Oh god yes this please too. Fuck having to jump around enemies like an idiot just to get the targeting reticule to appear somewhere for a split second.

Yagami_Sama

They should do something like the first one. The open world thing, did not appeal to me. A more traditional game would be great.

Some Nobody

Never played XC, but having played through most of XCX:

- Ditch the fetch quests. Make up for it with a stronger main story.
- Keep the interesting/funny side quests/stories that filled the world out. I feel like people skipped a lot of these and they added a lot to the world.
- More mecha, please.
- Keep the massive world, but add more cities to it?
- No. More. Affinity. The quests themselves were good, but the heart system was garbage, ditch it.
- Don't tie me down to the same three cast members if you're going to have 20+ characters.
- Don't let the multiplayer aspect affect the main story. (This is small, but the salvage ticket thing irks me still.)
- If there are fetch quests, don't let my completion of them be subject to RNG.
- Chuck the create-a-character, particularly if you're not going to make them the main character.
- More ridiculous costumes/armor/suits, please.

Yeah, I think that covers it.

A lot of people have already said basically my feelings as well. More story-focused like the first one. No silent, awkward mute characters. A bit more linear would be fine with me as well (similar to the first one). The basic gameplay of Xenoblade X was fine, so more of that (but tweaked with a better targeting system) would be okay. Bring back the composers from the first game. Really to make me happy, all it needs to do is be more story/character focused. That was my biggest issue with X.

Two main things,

1. that it respects the player's time more like the original, and less like X

2. that the locations are more varied. Only Noctilum in X really lives up to the original in this regard.

Minor things include: go back to normal L targeting like every other game since Ocarina of Time, you idiots.

Kimawolf

A much more interactive environment. Im talkimg grass that reacts to your movements, animals who have presence you can't just run though. Clouds which part when you fly through them, destructible environments. That kind of thing.

Better writing for tbe main story and make sode stories have huge, connecting arcs to them.

Better character creator. And go the Mass Effect route. A created character doesn't need to be silent.

And better online elements. Maybe give a mini mmo mode where if you want you can go to a hub like PSO and mission with friends, or play the single player game.

GamerJM

Banned
I want it to be a more traditional non-open world turn-based RPG that takes place in the same world as the first two games, and that takes elements of the music/art direction from the first two games.

rardk64

Return to form with story being the central focus. Enough of the side quests.

Music from the composers of the first game.

Readable text would be pretty cool. And the silent protagonist really didn't work for XCX, would rather have interesting characters like the first game.

Take nothing from X besides the exploration and the sidequest streamlining.

X was a mistake, Especially in the music department.

No shitty music, no pointless online, no anime-inspired characters, and no unfinished, half-baked story.

I sense a theme...

I didn't love XCX. To the point of not even wanting to finish it. It's tedious and while it's impressive in a lot of ways, there's just so many small things wrong with it.

So for XC3? I hope they get back to focusing on story. At least that would've kept me interested.

Renewed

Ending was annoying so follow through. The problems of juggling so many playable characters that don't have bearing on the main story make them a bit inconsequential but at least they were useful for the side content...

Mechs are good. We always need mechs. Sawano's fine, but fix mixing options. I don't need some of this shit blasting 24/7.

Exploration is great, but it'll be hard to go back to not having FrontierNav. Unless they actually go through and use FN 2.0 for multiple planets. Good places to visit too, NLA gets kind of stale.

I'd also like a class based on fisticuffs...

I remember reading in an interview that their next game was going to be more story focused. That's one of the larger complaints I've heard about X. One that I happen to agree with as I felt the main narrative was pretty sparse.

Wagram

it doesn't even make sense as a comparison.

X is critically acclaimed and is recognized for its excellent gameplay.

If Xenoblade Chronicles X is critically acclaimed then so is Final Fantasy XIII. They share the same Metacritic. Don't die on this road.

I'd like an expanded fighting system on what they had for xcx. besides a focused story (which we've been more or less promised) and a good protaginist Id like a new composer. Can you imagine XC with Guilty Gear Music. That would be hype as hell in a mech

Also Im fine with leaving XCX as a one time thing, I wouldnt want the team to have the baggage left over from the story. besides the ending is good enough as cliff hanger Im fine with leaving it that way.

Magusx

A story on level of that of Xenogears or Xenosaga and I'm really happy.Yeah this will probably never happen without Soraya :(

Gravidee

Aside from story stuff like everyone else said, I want them to improve on their character models and animations. They looked bad in the first game, and still looked bad in X even with shiny HD graphics. Mouth movements need to be drastically improved for talking scenes as well.

Meld the affinity character arcs and the more in depth story quests better with the main story arc. I adore XCX's world building but everything is gated off from one another.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the story with Xenoblade X like everyone says (Well, except the awful ending.)

It's just the presentation of it all was terrible. It's conveyed through overly long and dully animated cutscenes that are just totally sluggish in pace. I would appreciate it if the next game had less crap cutscenes and maybe had more character dialogue spoken over a radio or something.

All the design decisions of XBC, with realtime, action-y combat, and with the mechs and sense of exploration from XCX. That's pretty much it.

X's major downfall was not properly structuring the chapters. They were too episodic and too self-contained. Aside from the main villain, the villains were really only in a couple scenes. Goetia appears in chapter 4 and flees and then appears again in chapter 7 as the boss. You don't get any development other than that she hates humans for some reason. Similar with Ryyz (in Chapter 8 and 10). Even the last bosses don't get that much more development. Ga Jiarg actually noticeable development but he's not super deep. Xenoblade had Metal Face on the other hand as well as Jade Face (but that was more of a subversion of Metal). There's ways to do it right so that each chapter foreshadows something and using that to play with the player's expectation.
They have a really good example right after chapter 8. After the battle in NLA, Ryyz and Dagaan flee but, the city had a major loss after Ga Jiarg steals the skell. The player is probably at least wondering what happened to Ryyz and Dagaan and probably at least a little angry at the Ganglions if they got attached to the world. Then comes this affinity quest where they say they've found a pair of aliens with a girl and a giant. You expect this to Ryyz and Dagaan who have presumably exiled from the Ganglion for their failures. Turns out it is someone completely different and you now get new allies. This is a good use of the format that is entertaining to the player if he/she plays in that order but doesn't punish the player if he chooses to skip it for now aside from the new character but it's used too infrequently

Dl07

Neo Member
I would like a continuation of the story from X. I actually loved X a lot, but I would have liked a little more something from the class system. Once you max one it felt kinda dull after awhile and I didn't really enjoy some of the other class options. A voiced protagonist would also be nice.

El Odio

Banned
Another good suggestion I can think of would be to get rid of any repetitive jokes that aren't really that funny the first time and are run into the ground so hard it kills you.

To fully embrace the Dogma of the Dragon's Souls. X was ALMOST there. ALMOST.

Basically, X - But better.

Keep character customization - And expand on it, make it fully realized.

Make the Pawn system less pointless (I mean, they're only viable postgame since story progression is linked to party affinity in X) - Or hell, outright allow coop in the main game instead of being sectioned off coop missions.

NO MORE FUCKING MOEBLOBS. Easily the worst part of both Xenoblade games. Seriously, you can not excuse them with "The polygons for the rest of the world had to be pulled from somewhere!" anymore. Technology has progressed FAAAAAR past the point of restrictive Polygon-Budgets LONG ago. Xenosaga 2 had far better looking characters on hardware with a much tighter polygon budget a decade ago. This is a conscious design choice Monolith's character artists are making.

No party-hunting anymore. Either have a tracker for inactive party members and make their schedules more apparent to the player or just switch back to Xenoblade 1's party menu.

Multiple save slots. We've had too many games in the past few years opting for one-slot and autosave if there is any semblance of online integration to the singeplayer. Please stop devs. The Souls series has singleplayer and multiplayer joined at the hip closer than any other game out there - And guess what? Multiple save slots!

Just for shit's and giggles I'll bring this up. A PVP arena. We all know that Hotbar-and-Cooldown PVP is a disaster from our experience WoW and FF14. But you know what? It'd be interesting to see how the PVP meta would play out in X's combat system. Would Infinite-Overdrive builds rule the day in PVP like they do in PVE/COOP? Or would someone out there find the answer to that conundrum?

Even more build customization and stats for further gameplay variety.

MomoQca

-A stronger narrative like XC. Thankfully, Takahashi wants to address that for his next project. What we don't know is how they'll approach it. I prefer a more linear approach over the segmented plot progression of XCX.

-Remove the customizable avatar. If they want to make a strong narrative for the next game, they'll have to ditch this concept.

-Remove the online aspect. It's the reason why we have the avatar... T_T

-Conclude XCX's story. I want answers after that cliffhanger.

-Elma needs to return. Hopefully as the true main protagonist or at least an important party member like KOS-MOS.

-A dynamic main cast like XC.

-Make improvements to the Skell battle system. It's not as exciting as the on-foot combat system.

-Create another stunning world like the past two games.

-Playable Nopon, Ma-non, and Wrothian characters. Please.

>Blaming character customization for poor plot.

The Holy Trinity of RPGs - Morrowind, Fallout 2, and Dragon Age Origins - would like to have a word with you all.

Poor writing is just poor writing. People looking for some little thing to blame for X's flaws are just in denial that Takahashi is getting burnt out from making two massive games back to back.

ika

I want they to continue the story of XCX and expand the universe. Not only Mira, but I'd love to see the whereabouts of other exodus ships over the galaxy, other factions of the war started over the Earth, and many flashbacks to see the thirty years before the destruction of the planet and origins and development of many plots (Samaarians, Ganglion, Wrothian, Definion...). And yeah I forgot, better development of main cast and villains. In XCX the bad guys where so underused... So much lost potential for all of them...

I'd love to see more philosophical, religious and psychological themes (they only scratched the surface in XCX), and more sci-fi themes like super computers, AI. In fact when
the mainframe computer at the core started to make monsters for protection I immediately though of Zohar/Deus.

I want the music composition to stay similar (mix of classical, electronic and rock styles) because it suits it better than the first composers. But I'd love a better mixing, and that some music (ground themes) actually loops so we don't notice the cut when the song is over.

I don't mind the online elements, I usually ignore it so it can stay if they are not mandatory. I enjoy when the ticket count increases so I can get some rare drops, tho lol.

More story chapters! In fact it would be perfect if they just release new story chapters as DLC for the Wii U game (and potential NX port) instead of making a completely new game. They could unlock new Skells, missions, weapons, levels, and even new continents, the wreckage of the White Wale if they found it, or several ships bigger than the Ma Non one that lands/crashes the planet. So they can close the story of Mira and later make a XCX2 for another exodus ship and planet, or even in the Mira of several hundred or thousands years later.

I'm ok with the way the game is unfolded. Won't be upset if they choose to go back to a more linear progression, either. In any case, the story need to be bigger and deeper. I think this is the only thing they need to improve IMO, and Takahashi can absolutely do it.

mavo

Banned
More than one city.

Better explaining of buffs, debuffs, resistances, in general every detail that can influence a battle, i ended up brute forcing the main story with my overdrive build, ghostwalker and G-Buster. or maybe it is explained and i'm too dumb to realize, since everytime i boot the game i feel like i learned something new.

Top Bottom