• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite arcade games that didn't receive ports?

entremet

As a huge fan of the arcade era, I spent and enjoyed tons of arcade games.

Most of my favorite arcade games were ported thankfully--Ghouls and Ghost, Outrun, Shinobi, Turtles in Time, Final Fight, SF2 incarnations.

Not all were perfect, but very much serviceable, especially when the 16bit consoles came on the scene. Later we got better ports as home hardware got better.

However, not all games got ported.

Golden Axe: The Return of Death Adder

Beat-93.png

Beat-66.gif

I loved this game. The prequel was one of my favorites in the arcades--dat ending doe.

But this was the true sequel for me. The Genesis sequels were very low rent. This one had brand new assets and mechanics, fun new characters, and beautiful sprite based graphics, which were a huge upgrade from the prequel.

Sadly, this game never got ported anywhere. I was hoping M2 would do this for Sega's 3D classic line, but it seems Sega has forgotten this game existed.

It was never ported anywhere, while Golden 1 and the console sequels saw tons of rereleases.

Honorable mentions:
Alien Versus Predator--licensing seems to be a big issue with this one
Rave Racer--never ported as well. It's the third arcade Ridge Racer game

E.S.P. Ra De is one of the most amazing shooters I have ever played, yet never recieved an kind of home port. I guess playing the sequel on my iPhone is cool, ,but I prefer the first one.
espyusu-1.gif

My favorite Capcom beat 'em up:

Licensing is probably a nightmare for this. That and it'd probably sell like ass, anyway. Battle Circuit too, I guess, though I imagine Cpaocm not porting that is more out of total disinterest.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Midway's The Grid. Very simple, silly death match type game that used a flight stick and track ball for controls. It controlled surprisingly well once you go the hang of it. It was supposed to come out for Dreamcast but it never materialized.

We had this at college and it was always a lot of fun. Our arcade had 4 of them tied together. Years later I saw that one of the arcades on the beach had it and on further inspection realized it was the same machine as the one from my college because all of our characters/high scores were still there. Quite the coincidence considering the two were like 2-300 miles apart.

baphomet

Already mention but revenge of death adder is a big one.

Osman
Gunforce 2
Battle Bakraid
Armed Police Batrider

There's lots of other unfortunately. I actually just bought an Osman board, and will eventually add all of these to my collection. Sucks because when they didn't get ported anywhere they tend to run $400 and up each.

My local arcade actually just recently picked up a Revenge of Death Adder cab and I played it for the first time today. Thought it was pretty damn neat, so I checked to see if I could get it on Saturn or anything... nope. Damn shame.

... my first thoughts coming into the thread were SCUD Race and Daytona 2, though. I always make sure I get a play of those games in whenever I see them, they're super fun. Really sucks that those pieces of Sega's arcade racer library are stuck in arcades.

Oh, I also just found out that Ghost Squad has a sequel and I'd totally be down to play that. And Red Earth, why not.

Alien
1107358143.jpg

Also I would love for a chance to play SEGA's Dayatona USA 2 same goes for Planet Harriers both of which aren't emulated 100% either.

Planet Harriers
ph-4.jpg

Tizoc

My favorite Capcom beat 'em up:

Licensing is probably a nightmare for this. That and it'd probably sell like ass, anyway. Battle Circuit too, I guess, though I imagine Cpaocm not porting that is more out of total disinterest.

This and AVP were my jam as a kid.
Mind you C&D is part of the Xenozoic Tales comic series which...hasn't had anything done to it in like 20 years. It's a great comic series though with some kickass art.

I realyl wish Capcom would make a Captain Commando+Battle circuit compilation release T,T

L Thammy

Armored Warriors is one. A beat-em-up where you pilot a giant robot. You can take your enemies' parts to switch around your moves. And full of nice little details, like the tiny enemy soldiers you can crush.

Red Earth. Capcom boss rush fighting game with a level-up mechanic.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sega Super GT
Planet Harriers
Golden Axe Death Adder's Revenge
Shadow Dancer
Jurassic Park (Sega light gun shooter)

GamerJM

Banned
Many rhythm games, including In the Groove 2 and the later Beatmania IIDX games.

Midway's The Grid. Very simple, silly death match type game that used a flight stick and track ball for controls. It controlled surprisingly well once you go the hang of it. It was supposed to come out for Dreamcast but it never materialized.

We had this at college and it was always a lot of fun. Our arcade had 4 of them tied together. Years later I saw that one of the arcades on the beach had it and on further inspection realized it was the same machine as the one from my college because all of our characters/high scores were still there. Quite the coincidence considering the two were like 2-300 miles apart.

I've played this, and it's like.....the perfect game to port to XBLA/PSN/Steam for online play. I don't know who owns the IP now.

Jawmuncher

118124212729.jpg

I play it every time I come across it still.
No matter what I am doing. I always put aside money and 30 minutes to beat it.

Top Bottom