• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your LEAST favourite Neo Geo games?

Tizoc

Looking back at the NG, there are a lot of games I enjoy and a few I'm indifferent about (KoF 96 for example). If anything, for the longest time, my least favourite NG game was SvC Chaos, but these past weeks I got to working through my backlog and found at least 2 games I dislike the most that were released on the hardware.
So ranking from least worst to the most, here are my 3 least favourite Neo Geo games-

SNK vs. Capcom Chaos
MGLlvqS.jpg

I remember when this game was announced years ago and followed its development. I was disappointed that Kyo, for one, was given his original black outfit, but that was the least of issues with the game.
Put simply, the game is King of Fighters Capcom Guest Stars edition.
I didn't like how similar its mechanics were to KoF and it didn't help that the returning SF2 cast didn't offer much interesting gameplay elements (Dhalsim got Yoga Legend which is a neat touch but otherwise I didn't find him that interesting to play).

The Neo Geo-fied Capcom cast do look nice though but most of them weren't all that interesting to play. I'd say my favourite character in the game is Dimitri.

The stage design is quite odd, apparently giving off the vibe that the game is set in some post apocalyptic setting? Visually they are nice but not stages I would want to, normally, play in a fighting game.

Credit should be given to Nona who was the main artist on this game though

Because of how closely it plays like a KoF game, it had never sat well with me and is generally one of the few SNK fighters I would be uninterested in playing.

Sengoku 3
gclB89i.jpg

I've never played any of the Sengoku games, the Neo Geo wasn't exactly known for its beat'em-ups.
Sengoku 3 was developed by Noise Factory and is available at Humblebundle.com.

While the game has some lovely sprites, what irritated me about the game was its strict hit boxes/hurt boxes. You HAVE to be positioned in front of an enemy properly to actually connect with your attacks otherwise you'd just be punching the air. Doesn't help that the game has the same half a dozen or so types of enemies that you fight over and over half way through the game. Add to that a needlessly long final stage and a final boss who has an attack that keeps him invincible while you jump around avoinding his projectiles he summons really soured the experience even further.
The core combat system is simple and nice but if the hurt boxes on enemies were more lenient, I would've enjoyed it more.

As for the WORST Neo Geo game I've ever played, ADK's Ninja Combat takes the dunce cap. Released in 1990, this is a 2D action game where you play as twin ninjas Joe and Hayabusa who must defeat some evil shogun or some shit.
You have only 4 hit points and can consume 1 HP to perform a special attack.
Your main method of combat is throwing shurikens, if you are using either of the twins, or a ranged projectile attack if you play as any of the other 3 unlockable characters. You can also perform a dodge move to avoid taking damage or get out of dangerous positioning.
Where the game really and utterly falls apart is the fact that you the player only have 1/3 of the screen to move about in.
Early in the game you have enough room to move about, but as you progress, enemies with bigger sprites start swarming at you leaving you small room to maneuver through.
94KKq6D.png

Add to that that said enemies could knock off 3 HP from you in a single hit. To make matters worse YOU ARE NOT INVINCIBLE AFTER GETTING UP FROM BEING KNOCKED DOWN. So if you lost 3 HP and were knocked down, an enemy's attack will still hit you when you get up and you die.

I got to play the game through the ADK Damashi PS2 release that is now available on US PSN.
I used to see this game at the arcade I frequented as a kid but never got to play it far past the first tage or two.
You know how Konami arcade games care criticized for being coin crunchers? This game is in the same vein, it's like it was designed to eat up dozens of coins just for players to beat it.

Now there ARE videos of the game being beaten 1CC, but I was never that much of a pro to be able to beat beat'em-ups 1CC all the time (I did do it a few times with Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Alien vs. Predator) but this game, even on the easy setting the game was providing in the ADK Damashi collection, was a frustrating experience.

What're your least fav. Neo Geo games? Hyper NG 64 and CD can count if you want.

AmyS

I liked Ninja Combat, at least at the time.

Least favorite Neo Geo game? Probably Legend of Success Joe.

Tizoc

Anything that doesn't let you continue where you died.

you mean Older shmups like say Last Resort & Pulstar that use a checkpoint system where if you die you restart from that checkpoint instead of continuing from where you died off?

Probably Legend of Success Joe. Also the massive flaming garbage heap that is KOF 2001, although it did have a particularly hilarious glitch with May Lee where she could go into "Frog Stance" and lock up the game reliably with a series of joystick movements. Fellow GAF-er Hikarutilmitt and I used to go to the local arcade and he would purposely lock it up to show off the glitch. *lol*

Danneee

you mean Older shmups like say Last Resort & Pulstar that use a checkpoint system where if you die you restart from that checkpoint instead of continuing from where you died off?

Yep, Neo Geo ports are awesome to unlimited credit and just zone out and shoot/punch the crap out of stuff without a worry in the world but when the games actually make me focus I kind of lose interest.

BrunOz

hmmm I've never liked SvC that much, tried multiple times but it just never clicks for me, something feels very off, lack of impact and satisfaction in the fights, and I love Capcom and SNK fighting games universe (the versus quotes are amazing tho!), also KOF 2001 and 2003 are pretty meh.

DarkTom

I would say Pulstar. I'm not that much of a shmup guy and this one is too hard, I don't like the way the checkpoints are designed.
The fun fact is Blazing Star is my favorite shoot'em up ever and one of the very few games I beat on an arcade cabinet.

Tizoc

hmmm I've never liked SvC that much, tried multiple times but it just never clicks for me, something feels very off, lack of impact and satisfaction in the fights, and I love Capcom and SNK fighting games universe (the versus quotes are amazing tho!), also KOF 2001 and 2003 are pretty meh.

KoF 03 and SvC were odd in the sense that hit SFX were like...punching wet paper as opposed to mighty blows connecting.
Take Garou for examples, stronger attacks produce an SFX like two rocks smashing with each other giving off the impression that the blow is freakin' painful.

mao2

Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer is probably the worst game I've played on Neo Geo. Love the eye candy and goofiness but the game just isn't fun to play.

cireza

I love SVC Chaos. Capcom characters are gorgeous, amazing pixel-art work here. Gameplay is fast and simple, I like it as it is. Also, the roster is great and they picked some unexpected characters.

I know that it is not a balanced fighter at all, but it is a lot of fun.

Anything iolith put out. Stuff was like a romhack and i am glad they are not touching the series anymore.

Also Art of Fighting is a great game for its time but really dated now. I love the origins of Ryo, Robert, Yuri, Kasumi, King etc but the games are really unplayable. Ironically AoF3 i could still bear.

Anyways stark contrast to Fatal Fury, Real Bout, Garou.. All games are still top notch imho and havent aged much.

BrunOz

KoF 03 and SvC were odd in the sense that hit SFX were like...punching wet paper as opposed to mighty blows connecting.
Take Garou for examples, stronger attacks produce an SFX like two rocks smashing with each other giving off the impression that the blow is freakin' painful.

yeah, good point, btw Garou is my fav SNK game and one of my top 10 fighting games ever

I thought Viewpoint was really disappointing and lame when I had it on Neo Geo CD back in the day.

I remember thinking a lot of ADK (Alpha something Crew??) I tried out was kind of trashy.

You haven't played many Neo-Geo games if SVC is among the worst, even just the fighters.

Operation Ragnagard, anyone? Savage Reign isn't too hot. Gowcaizer and the early SNK fighters (FF1, AoF1, KoF94) were rather dull too. All the World Heroes games are different kinds of bad. Damn, this thing has many fighters.

Tizoc

You haven't played many Neo-Geo games if SVC is among the worst, even just the fighters.

Operation Ragnagard, anyone? Savage Reign isn't too hot. Gowcaizer and the early SNK fighters (FF1, AoF1, KoF94) were rather dull too.
Savage reign at least tried to do the background hazards thing.
It may be flawed but at least the team tried to do something different to the usual 2d fighting formula
Also the cast looks really weird

Top Bottom