• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your Shonen Anime/Manga having bloated story arcs?

Jubenhimer

If you watch a lot of major Shonen Anime, then one thing you'll notice is the abundance of multipart episodes and as a result, relatively slow pacing of story arcs. It usually starts with the characters chilling and/or on a quest, they come across a conflict, a big bad shows up, and then they spend the next 80 episodes fighting this guy. Now this isn't inherently a bad thing, so long as the dynamics of the fight keep changing, but in a way, it makes conflicts and stories in these shows way more drawn out than they should be. At times, it makes it feel like this story is going nowhere. When it comes to story arcs in shows, I usually prefer ones that are non-intrusive, quick, and to-the-point. Sometimes its better to have a largely episodic season/show that also has overarching elements and episodes that pop up every now and then, than to have 50 back-to-back episodes of what essentially amounts to an overly stretched out fight scene. I get why most long Shonen Anime do it, all of them are based on Magazine comics, and thus rely heavily on radio-drama style cliff-hangers and serial suspense.

Mista

Banned
Most of them since they don’t want to get close to the manga. One Piece snoozed, Naruto, Dragonball. All of them apparently

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Most of them since they don’t want to get close to the manga. One Piece snoozed, Naruto, Dragonball. All of them apparently

I meant to say thoughts in the title, It should read "What are your thoughts' can a mod please edit that in?

Top Bottom