• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What did you regret buying?

nush

Big CRT TV about a year before flatscreen HD TVs took off. I had to give it away to someone who thought it was a great gift before finding out he hated it too.

Herne

Most recently a wireless N pci-express card for my media pc. Moved to a new place last month, couldn't run an ethernet cable from the living room to the router in the hall. Connected it to the 5GHz network and assumed I'd be able to play media on my laptop (also connected wirelessly). Oh I can watch stuff alright - the oldest, smallest stuff I have, and VLC and MPC HC both still have issues streaming. I haven't dared try something more modern, say a hd episode of something, much less a hd film several GB's big. What a joke.

Going to have to run that cable down there after all, with cable hiders used as much as possible.

Also Assassin's Creed Origins. What an incredibly average game.

aaronsan

Banned
Harry Potter wand TV remote. Oh it works fine, AND my kids like Harry Potter. But still they don't give a shit about the wand.

Oops.

Pila

The Orange Box

It's hard to believe this. XD

My car I guess, I swear it's always down. I'm a joke at work. :(

I bought equipment for rock climbing but I really like trekking and caving more so in the end it's pretty much new. I should just sell it.

BANGS

Banned
Video game wise? Wii, XboxOne, and Sleeping Dogs.

And I only regret sleeping dogs because it became a "free" game with gold the month after I bought it. But those two consoles were such a waste of coin...

Used-ID

My 2015 Subaru STI.

Fun as hell to drive, plus I could sell it now for an easy $10k (I don't think I ever will) but....

MAYBE 20mpg on premium (only), and apparently the nice beefy Brembo brakes go through rotors. Had a Firestone tire store quote me $1400 for a break job. Subaru quoted me $2500.

Add to that stiff suspension that 'let's' me feel even the tar steaks they use to patch roads, it's a true love-hate purchase.

ape2man

I justified it by saying "I want a car that hasn't been messed with & I know the history of, I'll keep if for 10 years anyways" but yeah, still a waste of money. Much better to buy a car that is around 3 y/o that the previous owner(s) ate the depreciation on, get it inspected, and then buy. What made it worse is that my previous car was just fine, it needed a bit more power but it never got me in any trouble etc. it's still running today.

You still had a good working old car :D lol, mannnn what a waste. I always think 2, 3 times "do i really need it" before buying it.

But when i baught my op-1 i had so much cash flow that i was like FUCKIT I WANT IT!!!!!!

My PS4 kinda, the only game I've genuinely loved is Bloodborne.

Horizon was ok, Uncharted 4 was dull as dish water and GT sport was a total misfire.

I hope it was still worth getting for TLOU2 though.

I bought mine for Bloodborne and almost immediately regretted it. $400 for the PS4, $60 for Bloodborne and $60 for PS+. Bloodborne was good, but not $520 good. Since then I rented UC4 and Horizon. I bought Injustice 2 for it recently(second regret), only to find out it was on PC. I'm looking forward to TLOU 2, but I will never buy a console before the major price cut/revision again.

PS4. No interest in Sony exclusives. Hate the controller. Collects dust-noisy as fuck when in use.

Some interest in Sony exclusives. Hate the controller's battery life. Collects dust-noisy as fuck when in use.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A college education. Overrated as fuck in many aspects. Ironically college is like a big ass post dated check and the funds are not guaranteed.

I regret my college education. I wasted time and money going to college for a worthless degree.

1. I went to ITT-Tech starting out and graduated with an associates and 40k in student loans at 19 years old. They've since ceased operations and shut down. So long ITT tech.
2. I went to school for nursing, which I should not have done. I ended up failing clinical after passing all the other classes with A's and B's. I would have hated nursing either way.
3. I ended up with a General Studies degree after everything hit the fan. Which is a pointless degree.

All the debt will be paid off in less than a year from now, but it was such a waste of my 20's.

Everyone who regrets buying the Vita. I love it. I use it a lot for remote play, classic games through PSN, and occasionally there's a Vita game on there that's fun.

I inherited a lot of money after my dad died and I spent the vast majority of it on games. I don't regret it. Even though I'd buy and sell the games I got. The only thing I regret are the games that were mediocre like The Force Unleashed, Lair, Heavenly Sword, or something that did real bad. I sometimes wish I had that money for something like VR or an extra game.

I spent what was left of the money on college loans and the remaining 30% is tucked away in retirement because my family put it there. I'm taxed like 40% if I take any of it out, so it's not worth touching.

Things are pretty good, but it'll be better next year when I'm out of debt.

I would have rather spent all that money on games and a house than on college. College will always be my biggest regret.

LOLCats

Banned
That second ps3. Thought id use it upstairs but rarely did.

And of course that xbox one day one purchase.

Alebrije

Artificial Christmas tree ....they set up every year and keep it taking space on my closet most of he year.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
My Audi A3. Boring ass handling, and lost so much value by the time I got rid of it (it wasn’t new when I bought it).

ThisGuy

Smoker. Between work and school I don't have time to smoke meats. Never had the chance to open the box. Gave it to my dad lol.

Waste of money, is the only thing I regret. Seeing how happy/surprised my dad was, pretty awesome.

Kadayi

Banned
Ready Player One

Quite possibly the worst book I've ever read. So bad, in fact, I actively want to extract the time I wasted reading it from Cline directly Roy Batty style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwLoRi5vy8Q

I've actively lost respect and trust for the critical opinions of people I listened to who said it was great or their favourite book evar!!!. Anyone who thinks this POS is the best thing since sliced bread clearly hasn't strayed outside of the Sci-fi/Fantasy/Graphic Novel section of their local bookstore, and shouldn't be given any credence when it comes to assessing literary value.

If you've not read it and are thinking of doing so (esp given Spielberg's upcoming adaptation) don't, and if you want a more detailed critique as to why not to, listen to this oft time hilarious breakdown: -

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2014/06/19/010-ready-player-one-w-mike-sacco/

I dare say there are other purchase regrets I have that were more costly in both time and money, but that book needs a health warning, it's truly that reprehensible.

-Minsc-

All the things I purchased which I never use. Clothes with the price tag still on them, for example. I suppose it's all part of the price to be paid to figure out what we want in life.

A car: I don't use it much, it's sitting at a parking lot most of the time. Taking public transportation would have been a wiser choice, I would have saved a lot of money.

Nintendo Wii. Of everything entertainment, I've owned, it's the most gimmicky device I've owned. The inprecise controls, the shallow games, lack of skill required, obtuse online, and poor power. It was the opposite of what I loved about Nintendo 64- Cutting Edge, ground breaking games, bold.
It was a massive success, but what a bummer that was.

Iphone 6 Plus. Stupid expensive. Over two years later I cannot get over what a irresponsible amount of money I spend on it, given my low income. I shouldn't have bought something I didn't needed. I don't play games or use strainious apps. It was so goddamn overkill. I just wanted to have a cutting edge phone that would last me 4-5 years.

At the same time, it's the best Phone I've ever owned. I have almost only good things to say about the 6 Plus. It's been one hell of a device.

Namikaze

You still had a good working old car :D lol, mannnn what a waste. I always think 2, 3 times "do i really need it" before buying it.

But when i baught my op-1 i had so much cash flow that i was like FUCKIT I WANT IT!!!!!!

Yep, definitely a waste. Old car took 10 seconds to hit 60 though, so I don't necessarily regret upgrading as a whole---just buying brand new. And trading out now wouldn't help..I'm so far underwater. I'm just gonna keep it until the engine explodes I guess. I like really really wish I could go back in time and smack myself.

I regret buying anything that has just become clutter. Books, movies, board games, etc. just take up a bunch of space and never get used. Before we move next I’m getting rid of a bunch of stuff.

Skar

I regret buying my abuser a 55 inch flat acreen tv for Christmas last year. The man did nothing to deserve it and kept abusing me and eventually pawned the tv for drugs and alcohol.

MultiCore

I regret buying my abuser a 55 inch flat acreen tv for Christmas last year. The man did nothing to deserve it and kept abusing me and eventually pawned the tv for drugs and alcohol.
I've never gotten rid of a TV in my life that wasn't broken.

I can't imagine being such a douche that I flipped a gift TV for drugs.

You have my condolences.

Launch Ps3 when i was 19 and didn't own a 360 and hadn't seen Gears Of War. Then a friend got Gears and invited me over to play.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
4K UHD TV, I didn't realize games only support 4K HDR TVs...

4k sdr tvs will still see the benifit of higher then 1080p resolutions, improved textures, improved effects and improved framerates.
Plus OLED and HDR are new and are not without issues.
People may be better off getting a decent 4k SDR tv for £500 now and waiting a year selling there sdr tv for £200-300 and getting a £1200 OLED tv at black friday 2018 when the OLED TVs will be better and maybe not have burn in issues as well as being better for HDR.

a high end gaming laptop, never again

Sigh, bought a gaming one by Asus. It looked great. It was when Windows 7 came out. Costs $1650. CPU was one generation behind Sandy Bridge, so it didn’t last long.

Paid $300 to have someone else clear out the fans and ended up not using it the next month.

Top Bottom