• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do I need for X-Box Live?

SD-Ness

Alright, please don't kill me here...

I never bothered getting Live before Halo 2. Now it's time I get it. What do I need?

I have a cable modem and obviously: an xbox, game, and controller.

Slo

The live headset is not mandatory, but highly recommended. Otherwise all you need is a credit card.

Miguel

If you're going to be online (pc) at the same time, or don't feel like unplugging your modem every time you want to switch, then a router would be necessary.

Also, I assume a headset would be nice too. That's about it.

Azih

D-Link tends to be cheaper. Both them and Linksys are good outfits.

Edit: and you need a Cat 5 cable to go from the router to the box obviously.

SD-Ness

Thanks.

I'm setting it up now and am facing another issue...

DNS NOT FOUND

No DNS Server addresss were received from the DHCP or PPPoE server. Enter the DNS Server(s) provided by your ISP in the Network Settings menu. See www.xbox.com/conect for more information.

What's this mean?

Goto Network Settings on my computer? On the XBOX?

Cubsfan23

Banned
Get Network Settings off your computer and Manually put them in the "Settings" on your xbox live menu

xbox.com has a good FAQ on this

Teddman

Do you have DSL or cable internet?

Cable works great with auto detect setup on both PS2 and Xbox. DSL will require you to get the DNS numbers and stuff...

Cubsfan23

Banned
control panel

double click network connections

right-click on Local area connection (thats what mine is anyway) then you click "Status"

After that click on "Support" sub-folder

you'll then see "details" and thats where all your info is

DCX

DCX
I'm thinking of getting a wireless router do i need to do anything with my ISP to get all my connections running smoothly? I have a PC, PS2 and XBOX to connect. I'm new to networking just wanted to know what i was facing. Thanks in advanced.

DCX

hgplayer1

zero, are you now using a router with both your PC and Xbox sharing the same connection?

DCX, you shouldnt have to contact your ISP at all. if you already have all your devices networked and will just be switching them to wireless connections, it should be pretty painless.

hgplayer1

Zero before you do anything else, try hooking up your Xbox directly to the modem. make sure and turn the modem and the Xbox off first, connect your cable from the modem to the Xbox, then power on the modem and once its done initializing, turn the Xbox on. if you can get it to work that way, the next thing you should do is power down everything, PC, router, modem, Xbox, and any other devices that will be connected to the router. connect everything the way it should be then power them up in this order. modem, router, PC, then any other devices. I would probably power up the PC and make sure you can get on the internet then try the other devices.

Top Bottom