• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about Code Name: STEAM's eclectic combination of influences?

ec0ec0

the reveal thread (when we only had some tweets) was amazing. GAF was going insane. More excited with each tweet. Then they saw the game... :p

Owensboro

Speaking of Freedom Force, I still think this game would benefit from a more top down camera like that game had.

Judging from the video posted, absolutely. Or at least a Valkyria-style overhead map so you can more easily see the arena. In the video it looks hard to tell where all the enemies are. Is there any kind of quick reference map that shows enemies and friendlies and where they are located on the map?

Ninjimbo

I think it's a breath of fresh air coming from IS. As great as they've been, you could argue that they've been mainly a Fire Emblem/Paper Mario machine for the past decade. It's nice to see them branch out a bit with a game that looks like it's been giving free reign.

I'm grabbing the game Day 1.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Judging from the video posted, absolutely. Or at least a Valkyria-style overhead map so you can more easily see the arena. In the video it looks hard to tell where all the enemies are. Is there any kind of quick reference map that shows enemies and friendlies and where they are located on the map?
I think the limited visibility during battles is an intentional design decision, so I wouldn't necessarily expect a real time overhead map.

Regiruler

The only complaint that was directly supplemented was the issue of the difficult to read enemies, which in practice isn't that bad as shinobi 3D demonstrates (some of the enemy design in that is pretty bizarre).
But then, people didn't like that either.

The only thing I don't like is the constant voice clips.
If it's Victorian-era steampunk, and citing London as an influence, why are there so many bloody American characters? There are dozens of British ones to choose from!
That's for the sequel. Duh.

Gears

I'm super fucking hyped for this game, If only for steampunk comicy action. The only real bad thing about it for me is the name of the game. Though that's kinda off topic

Edit: what I mean by the name part is that it doesnt exactly roll off the tongue. It sounds pretty awkward

brinstar

I'm curious to how it will turn out but so far it has my interest. I'll probably wait til I get a New 3DS to play it though for dual analog and..... Lucina.

Lernaean

Banned
It makes me sad. I love all these individually,

• Victorian London
  • Steampunk technology
  • Art inspired by Jack Kirby
  • Aliens inspired by Lovecraft
...and the following historical and literary characters:

• Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of the United States
  • Henry Fleming, from "The Red Badge of Courage"
  • The Cowardly Lion, from "The Wizard of Oz"
  • Tiger Lily, from "Peter Pan"
  • Tom Sawyer, "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer"

and i love IntelSys, but i can't for the love of all that's holy like this game.

Sigh! I guess it's good that there is a FE on the works too.

I think the problem with this game is that it's on the (New) 3DS, so it looks like shit thanks to the low resolution screens. If this was emulated on a beefy tablet with 2x internal rendering or a PC with even higher upscaling, then it might look super great.

Tom_Cody

• Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of the United States
    [*]Henry Fleming, from "The Red Badge of Courage"
  • The Cowardly Lion, from "The Wizard of Oz"
  • Tiger Lily, from "Peter Pan"
  • Tom Sawyer, "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer"
I dislike his facial hair.

I'm pretty ok with everything else.

Top Bottom