• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does Switch's 'Sawn Song' look like? (Price Drop, 'Switch Micro', Cross Gen Games)

2024 has come.

Switch' successor could be a lot of things: a direct upgrade, indirect sequel (hybrid with no bc) or a completely new platform.

Regardless, we know OG Switch will be going away.

But how will Nintendo execute its departure?

Will we see a new, last interaction of Switch? A Switch SP, Micro, or a Offline version?

What games will it share with it successor?

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
film saw GIF by Lionsgate Home Entertainment

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Depends on what sales were like this holiday season and how strong the console performs this quarter. Margins should be pretty good at this point for the Switch, which could push back Nintendo's next console.

Discontinue it, there were rumors that Nvidia wanted to stop production of the Tegra X1 over 2 years ago. I’m surprised Nintendo has convinced them to keep making it for this long.

2024 has come.

Switch' successor could be a lot of things: a direct upgrade, indirect sequel (hybrid with no bc) or a completely new platform.

Regardless, we know OG Switch will be going away.

But how will Nintendo execute its departure?

Will we see a new, last interaction of Switch? A Switch SP, Micro, or a Offline version?

What games will it share with it successor?

We can eliminate it not being a hybrid portable. It 100% will be. It also has to be at least mostly BC because that’s what everyone nowadays expects.

I don’t think past generation refreshes or redesigns are very indicative of what modern Nintendo might do. I think Switch OG will go away entirely and OLED and Lite will soldier on until sales evaporate, once the successor takes off. They’ve made it this long without a price cut, there might not ever be one at this point.

I think they’re bombarding Switch this year with new games, as one big last hurrah, and saving their major guns like a new AAA Donkey Kong or 3D Mario for the new platform, and I don’t think they’ll be cross-gen. Metroid Prime 4 might well be. Or have an upgrade path for the next-gen version like how PS5 handles it. It’s been in development for four years so it has to come to Switch, at least as an option.

I think the full Switch library basically seamlessly carries over to the new platform with ease. They keep talking up how Nintendo Account makes this possible, so they’re definitely keenly aware how important carrying over purchases is from one platform to another.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
The only game I could see potentially being cross-gen is Metroid Prime 4 but I think that will be next-gen only.

LakeOf9

Things get swan songs when they are on their way out

Meanwhile, the Switch is like a fucking cockroach and refuses to die, so anything that could have been a swan song (like TOTK, Pikmin 4, Mario Wonder) is instead just another great addition to its great library

Top Bottom