• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What effect do you think the LK-99 Ambient Superconductor breakthrough will have on gaming?

JimRyanGOAT

I’m just hoping it’s real so we can rely more on renewable energy to save our planet

gaming wise I’m guessing we can have more efficient chips with better cooling

I’m guessing here, but better physics & ai calculations because of faster GHz

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Has it been replicated yet?

Apparently yes, I think it was twice last I checked... but there not peer reviewed so its just some guy on reddit saying they have.

So no.

dP2EaN9.jpg

Last edited:
Has it been replicated yet?
This is the most important question, imho. Especially when economics are involved.

If it is true, processing power and gpu power will increase dramatically, but not before some heavy duty geopolitical drama plays itself out.

This is happening amid the backdrop of China seeking to "reunite Taiwan with the mainland", TSMC seemingly getting cold feet regarding their fabrication plants in the mainland USA, and a US congressman saying publically that we would blow up TSMC in a confrontation with China in Taiwan if need be (really, REALLY stupid move).

This makes for a weirdly charged situation in regards to the worlds existing fabrication plants. Granted, this superconductor probably has a different fabrication process, but it will likely need to live alongside semiconductors for a long time, and if it is indeed as efficacious as the study says we will need to change a lot of core architecture to utilize it properly.

So, what we have is a need for a new process that will likely require a reorganization of existing electronics methodologies (which takes time), alongside a geopolitical powder keg (which can modify the time that said changes need to take)

Once it is active, it will probably go through the beginning phases of a technological lifecycle, which could either be on the slower end or on the faster end. Likely it would be a gradual growth of the technology, climaxing in a seemingly lightning speed shift in existing hardware (like the CRT to LCD transition)

For gaming, the human element is a limiting factor. The NEX GEN GRAFIX that we see nowadays takes exponentially larger teams than we required before. More computational power means more can be done, but we still need humans to create everything.

In the end, though, certain stonks are skyrocketing right now and the hype is growing rapidly, so Torrent of Pork's succinct question is all the more important.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Quantum computers right now give you probabilities not solutions. There is alot of noise. A lot of garbage to discard.

A normal x86 / arm are still the best and fastest way to do everyday computing at the moment.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I wouldn’t get my hopes up until there’s some solid evidence.

If it’s true I’m not sure it’s worth speculating, something like that would probably change our perception of what’s possible.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
My prediction:

"This is not about you. It's about Insomniac and my issues with them wasting the potential of the PS9 despite being one of the lucky few to be allowed to make next gen only games.

My posting history should speak for itself. Ive stanned for these PS exclusives in this very thread let alone forum for years. But when studios start phoning in visuals or worse misleading us with downgrades and bullshots then they deserve to be called out. This is Sony first party's only next gen game this year with literally nothing lined up for next year. This is it. This should be devastating to any PS fan."

- SlimySnake SlimySnake , 8/3/2053

Just joking lol, I always enjoy your posts :D

MarkMe2525

If they could freely transport around electrons without resistance at room temp. , you could make a super fast yet supercool gpu. I have to say though that this is unlikely. Very specific environmental factors are at play here. We can check back in 20 years to see progress.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
My prediction:

"This is not about you. It's about Insomniac and my issues with them wasting the potential of the PS9 despite being one of the lucky few to be allowed to make next gen only games.

My posting history should speak for itself. Ive stanned for these PS exclusives in this very thread let alone forum for years. But when studios start phoning in visuals or worse misleading us with downgrades and bullshots then they deserve to be called out. This is Sony first party's only next gen game this year with literally nothing lined up for next year. This is it. This should be devastating to any PS fan."

- SlimySnake SlimySnake , 8/3/2053

Just joking lol, I always enjoy your posts :D
Will bro even still be alive by then?

cormack12

Gold Member
We will no longer need to debate about if controllers with rechargeable batteries are better than ones that take AAs

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
We won't have to invade and mine Pandora for unobtanium anymore and thankfully spare ourselves from more Na'vi fetishizers.

Dude thermal dissipation power is one of the greatest challenges companies have been faing in the last 20 years... This cold help improve that immensely.

Meaning we could have notebooks and portable gamming devices like steam deck with way higher clocks peed.

One more thing is that if this shit is real and cheap it could make pc parts way cheaper because they could be made without the need of gold.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot

Bad take. They already have ceramic superconductors, the difference being this is ambient temperature. You don't have to make wires. Solid boards can be made from it. It's up to the engineers to discover how best to use it. Maybe it's in some way we haven't had to even think of yet, that's the beauty of new materials. If the discovery is true than this could be one of the biggest breakthroughs in human history.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Bad take. They already have ceramic superconductors, the difference being this is ambient temperature. You don't have to make wires. Solid boards can be made from it. Silicon isn't made into wires, but it has its use. It's up to the engineers to discover how best to use it. Maybe it's in some way we haven't had to even think of yet, that's the beauty of new materials. If the discovery is true than this could be one of the biggest breakthroughs in human history.

Yes.

He's quirky, sure, but I trust his takes when it comes to science.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

IIRC it's still only preprint and hasn't been replicated yet, but it will basically make everything doable with mobile and low power parts
That is, only if there is a feasible way to actually print this substance onto circuits and somehow make transistors with it.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Yes.

He's quirky, sure, but I trust his takes when it comes to science.

Fine, he made superconductors 30 years ago but they required extreme conditions to function. Not viable for anything outside of one off projects or testing. This is a whole new game, something you can just slap on a bench or table and fuck around with. Apples and oranges. This is the next level above what he was doing. The first computers were the size of entire rooms and people said they had no purpose and laughed at them too. I think he's being purposely obtuse and narrow minded.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
I'm still skeptical about the whole thing. But, theoretically, a room temperature superconductor would be insane.
Can you imagine the amount of sci-fi stuff that would no longer be sci-fi due to this? Just in the realm of energy storage, having batteries that could last orders of magnitud longer and with almost no energy loss would be revolutionary.

Even if it's real, which is still yet TBC, it will take 30 - 50yrs of dicking around in labs before any high-volume manufacturing process designed around this material can be brought online.

CuNi

Apparently yes, I think it was twice last I checked... but there not peer reviewed so its just some guy on reddit saying they have.

So no.

dP2EaN9.jpg

Last time I checked, an Indian and Chinese team COULDN'T replicate this experiment.
Also, it shows more signs of Diamagnetism than superconductivity.
If it were a superconductor, it would be frozen in place on the test, yet it's dragged down on one side, which a superconductor usually doesn't do, lol.

While I will not rule out the 0.001% of this being real, I wouldn't bet money on it.

coffinbirth

Last time I checked, an Indian and Chinese team COULDN'T replicate this experiment.
Also, it shows more signs of Diamagnetism than superconductivity.
If it were a superconductor, it would be frozen in place on the test, yet it's dragged down on one side, which a superconductor usually doesn't do, lol.

While I will not rule out the 0.001% of this being real, I wouldn't bet money on it.
I don't have time to go digging for links, but I believe these are two entirely different projects and the one you are referring to was months ago and this one hasn't been public long enough for replication results to roll in. Probably still fiction though. Ignore if I'm mistaken.

Success

This whole thing is a farce.

How is it that no reputable American based scientific lab can still replicate it?

bender

What time is it?
Fine, he made superconductors 30 years ago but they required extreme conditions to function. Not viable for anything outside of one off projects or testing. This is a whole new game, something you can just slap on a bench or table and fuck around with. Apples and oranges. This is the next level above what he was doing. The first computers were the size of entire rooms and people said they had no purpose and laughed at them too. I think he's being purposely obtuse and narrow minded.

Given his credentials, I'll take him being obtuse and narrowminded over you being obtuse and narrowminded.

Wildebeest

It's made from lead so even if it is for real it might not make it into consumer electronics due to regulations. The electronics industry has been working to move away from tin-lead solder for years, and the EU has legislation against using hazardous substances like lead and mercury in electronics.

Top Bottom