• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What franchises do you see falling out of relevance in the next decade?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Franchises come and go. There are mainstays like Mario and Zelda that have been going strong for almost 4 decades but some don't last like Halo or Titanfall (or they might make a comeback).

Within the next 10 years, what currently strong or important franchise do you see not being relevant anymore? It could be for any number of reasons; they stop selling, maybe the publishers simply stops making them, people forget about it, etc.

definitely Horizon. the first game was interesting but had some issues which is to be expecting for a new IP but the sequel did nothing other than add improved graphics which is apparently enough for some people. if the next game tries to pull the same stunt then it's dead.

hopefully TLOU.

halo is dead for sure. microsoft had the right idea with Halo Infinite but they fucked that up too.

call of duty isn't going anywhere lol

Mr Hyde

everyone GIF

Three

I think a big one like Minecraft might slowly. I think it has already dropped from its hayday and people will grow out of it faster than new users become engaged in it over time. Assasins Creed, Horizon and Battlefield might not be relevant in 10 years either.
definitely Horizon. the first game was interesting but had some issues which is to be expecting for a new IP but the sequel did nothing other than add improved graphics which is apparently enough for some people. if the next game tries to pull the same stunt then it's dead.

hopefully TLOU.

halo is dead for sure. microsoft had the right idea with Halo Infinite but they fucked that up too.

call of duty isn't going anywhere lol
I agree that Horizon and its story should wrap up and likely end in a decade but I don't see how the sequel "did nothing but add improved graphics". They added a hell of a lot of stuff compared to the first.

Last edited:
I think:

Overwatch
Destiny
Horizon
Fortnite
Gears of War

Like Minecraft?
Overwatch seems like it's dead already. It makes me sad a bit because there is so much potential but Blizzard have fucked it. I was excited for PvE stuff but that is scrapped I think. Releasing it on Steam feels like a desperate last chance of success. I don't know where they can take it from here. I'd love an Overwatch MMO which is ironic I know because it was meant to be Titan MMO. I guess what I really want is a single player game set in that world with the same characters or an RPG.

I think a big one like Minecraft might slowly. I think it has already dropped from its hayday and people will grow out of it faster than new users become engaged in it over time. Assasins Creed, Horizon and Battlefield might not be relevant in 10 years either.

I agree that Horizon and its story should wrap up and likely end in a decade I don't see how the sequel "did nothing but add improved graphics". They added a hell of a lot of stuff compared to the first.
maybe i was a bit too harsh but for me it didn't fix any of the issues i had with the first game. so really to me it was just the same game with better graphics

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I think a big one like Minecraft might slowly.
Not sure about that. It's been 10 years since the first release and it's still very relevant. It is THE game for kids, the only other 2 games that are in the same league are Fortnite and Roblox.
Battlefield might not be relevant in 10 years either.
With the recent title being a masterpiece of shit that's very likely. Seems DICE have lost their way.

PeteBull

As much as it pains me to say it- diablo- d4 was so bad after u beat story/quests and could focus on actual grind/itemisation it made me wonder if those devs at blizz even played/enjoyed d1/d2 which were both staples in the genre.
Unless some major overhaul of core game hits us(maybe with inevitable xpack) game and the series gonna be so dead =/

Edit: Inbefore some1 takes me for negative nancy, i preordered the game back in december, played solid 150h+ on it(+around 20h in beta), got 77lvl summoner necro, still got 0 fun in it/motivation to push forward;/

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Most fads will die down

Extraction shooters will die the same way battle Royales are slowly falling out of favor.

In terms of IP I'd say the ones who fail to modernise and or change, currently battlefield/halo/gears/overwatch.

As much as people shit on and hate ubisoft they at least try to pivot, their recent pivot was hot shit with xdefiant and heartland and so on but you can't argue that the change to asscreed and r6 didn't pay off for them.

Unless they do something to reinvent the game in some way, Horizon will die by the next game...

But I don't think it will be reinvented. Considering that Sony was talking about remaking Zero Dawn, which made clear that their priorities with those games is in graphical fidelity above everything else.

A few people are saying The Last of Us, but I don't think it will happen.
Even if TLOU 3 is a literal dumpster, it will sell a bunch, and will have people saying it is a misunderstood masterpiece, with 10/10 reviews...

Call Of Duty once Microsoft gets control of it.
I absolutely see this happening. We will never get another “no Russian” under the stewardship of Microsoft. We are entering the era of “safe as houses” CoD but it will fail to inspire a new generation and be a shadow of its former self in a decade time. In other words- Halo: Part Deux

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Halo, obviously.

The Last of Us, hopefully - Part 3 will be as good as the first two, but it needs to be a contained story.

People are saying Horizon, but I think Song will try to expand that universe. Certainly, it has a lot more potential in that regard than TLoU.

CoD will stick around. Even if the acquisition does end up damaging it’ll still be a strong property for Xbox.

Gears is more under threat, probably overdue for a hiatus at least.

StarCraft. Will MS even bother with an IP that they really can’t sell on Xbox?

Top Bottom