• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game handled weather changes the best?

Typographenia said:
Not necessarily handled "well," but I always loved Click Clock Wood in Banjo Kazooie.
It was really cool seeing how the flower, Eyrie the eagle, the Beaver, the Squirrel, the Hornets, and the appearance of the level in general changed between seasons.
Helping the eagle grow up was always one of my favorite parts of any game when I was a kid, heading up to the nest in winter and seeing the fully grown Eyrie was as much of a reward as the jigsaw piece, especially after shoveling all those worms in its mouth through summer and autumn/fall.

The early level of Donkey Kong Country where you went from darkness/rain to brightness/sunshine, it messed with your eyes, made the game look even more vibrant and good looking than it already was.

Bazhard

Banned
dave is ok said:
Uncharted 3

It's a travesty all they got out of it was an 8/10
hahahahaha+NO.gif

I see what you did there.

Bullza2o

M_Night said:
Beautiful.

My favourite moment in Xenoblade, is during the night thunderstorm on Gaur Plains. Seeing the Mechonis flash through the darkness during each hit of thunder is something else.
Oh man, now I have to play Xenoblade again to see this! But yeah, the weather effects of this game plus the stunning environments makes it awesome.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Berksy said:
Shenmue used real weather data for the dates of the days you play.
You could choose to turn that off and get random (but fitting) weather though.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Mafro said:
Stalker: Call of Pripyat. The blowouts, especially with the Complete mod installed, are fantastic.

Does any other game have something similar to this?

There are few things as exciting as hearing the blowout siren go off and just darting for the nearest cover. The feeling of relief once you're sheltered is simply unrivaled. Such an amazing element to an already immersive game.

can't argue with most of the suggestions here. not on par with my favourites, but one i thought had really good changing weather was Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (the Criterion one).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_qIZoaWGgE

it all changed dynamically. one of my favourite effects is wind blowing the snow off the side of the mountain over the road.

TONX said:
Red Dead Redemption.
Correct. RDR is one of the few games I've played that actually felt alive. Its ambiance is unmatched.

The Dutch Slayer said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FFXuQw7IvU&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL6AF6AAE54D665497

Red dead redemption rain storms are sooooooooooooooooooooooo good.
And the snow is also amazing in that game.
I got 100% completion in the main game and Undead Nightmare, and that video makes me want to replay through the entire game again. What an experience! Such a marvelous game. :)

plagiarize said:
can't argue with most of the suggestions here. not on par with my favourites, but one i thought had really good changing weather was Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (the Criterion one).

it all changed dynamically. one of my favourite effects is wind blowing the snow off the side of the mountain over the road.
Wow! Installing now.

AkuMifune

Banned
Far Cry 2 comes to mind. Especially when the wind would pick up a fire and start spreading it around until a rainstorm came in to wash it away. Pretty cool.

Himself

plagiarize said:

Wow. This looks excellent. Reminds me I gotta pick that game up some day.

If I was being forced to think of one nice thing to say about RDR, it would definitely be that at least the thunderstorms were well done.

I remember some nice weather moments in God of War III when all types of shit was hitting the fan.

FStop7

Banned
Red Dead Redemption.

Rainy nights in GTA4 were also incredible. I would occasionally just ride around in a cab to soak it in.

Luthos

RDR and Wind Waker had awesome storms. Also, that rain level in Uncharted 2's ch. 10 or so was amazing as well.

And Skyrim's weather looks to be really good too.

ScOULaris

KuGsj.gif
NeoGAF Asks? At least now that are being up-front about snatching content from this forum, rather than trying to slyly repackage it.

I suspect that this won't be the last one of my threads to show up on there, seeing as how 90% of my thread titles come in the form of a question.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
AkuMifune said:
Far Cry 2 comes to mind. Especially when the wind would pick up a fire and start spreading it around until a rainstorm came in to wash it away. Pretty cool.
Yeah, it didn't rain much in Far Cry 2, but it was really cool when it did.

Pachimari

Now I consider getting Red Dead Redemption, I have never played that one.
And I want STALKER as well, can I play that on an i5 iMac 27"?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Anastacio said:
Now I consider getting Red Dead Redemption, I have never played that one.
And I want STALKER as well, can I play that on an i5 iMac 27"?

STALKER is one glitchy hell of a game and I don't know if it behaves on Mac well but you should try it. ONLY WITH COMPLETE MOD.

ScOULaris

Chopper said:
Posting in super-cool famous thread. Hi Kotaku!

Weird.
It's so famous that it has garnered a whopping 134 posts! We're really cooking with gas now.

PS - Good thing they didn't choose one of my OT threads. I'm not well liked over there.
3AQmK.gif

Chopper

ScOULaris said:
It's so famous that it has garnered a whopping 134 posts! We're really cooking with gas now.

PS - Good thing they didn't choose one of my OT threads. I'm not well liked over there.
3AQmK.gif
Can I have your autograph?

Alx said:
Yeah, that. I remember the time I spent looking at the clouds, or watching passers-by popping up their umbrellas when it started raining.
Stuff like that is why I love the game. The details... Can't wait for yearly nostalgic playthrough. I'd also vote Stalker series.

eshwaaz

In addition to the amazing presentation, the rain in Red Dead was also impressive because it was not an "on or off", all-or-nothing effect. Sometimes, it was just overcast. Other times, just a light drizzle, or a pleasant, steady rainfall. Then there were the intense storms, with thunder and lightning and blowing spray that made it hard to see, especially at night.

I also can't think of another game where puddles and dampness form and remain after a storm.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life is a great choice. The game only does two things right, the weather and the ending, but man it got those two things perfect.

Alucrid

Banned
This shit is blowing my mind. Scoularis made a thread, and that thread got put on kotaku. Still, out of all your threads they chose a lame one.

Top Bottom