• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Panta Rhei (Capcom Game Engine) ?

AAMARMO

Banned
In February 20th 2013 Capcom revealed Panta Rhei there new game engine. This engine was going be a replacement for its previous MT Framework engine. Only game that is using Panta Rhei is Deep Down. Deep Down has been in media black out for years same as Panta Rhei. Could this engine be too advance for 8th generation console?

Actually, what game did capcom make for current gen other than sf5?

On consoles, Revelations 2, Dead Rising 3, Umbrella Corps (lol), Sengoku Basara 4 and some updates, DMC4 SE, and some ports (five Resident Evils, Ultra SFIV, Mega Man Legacy Collection). Resident Evil 7 is reportedly in development but in the end, it's not much. Granted there's more if you count 3DS rather than just consoles.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It could also be possible that Resident Evil 7 will make use of this engine.

Resident Evil Umbrella Corps is Unity engine.

L Thammy

Actually, what game did capcom make for current gen other than sf5?

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
Resident Evil Revelations
Nazo Waku Yakata
Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
Dai Gyakuten Saiban
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter 4
Mega Man Legends 3

zeromcd73

On consoles, Revelations 2, Dead Rising 3, Umbrella Corps (lol), Sengoku Basara 4 and some updates,
Out of those games Sengoku Basara Sumerage/Umbrella Corps look like they're just using last gen assists, Revelations 2 isn't a looker at all and Microsoft had to pay for DR3.

Capcom has been sitting on their ass this entire gen on home consoles.

Haunted

Wouldnt be surprised if it goes the way most JP engines go: Into the trash.
They'll probably put out one game, not super impressive after so many delays and completely over budget before shelving the engine and announcing they've licensed a Western engine instead.

Sad change for Capcom from last gen, during which they had a terrific and very productive proprietary engine in MT Framework.

Rymuth

Like FF15 and luminous, they'll use it for ONE game and go "see? See? The investment was totally worth it!" and we'll never hear from it again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They'll probably put out one game with it, way too late and over budget before shelving it and announcing they've licensed a Western engine instead.
I think RE7 is on a rebranded version of this as well, so maybe two games!

Though there was an implication that RE7's engine might be an entirely separate inhouse engine.

Tripon

Though there was an implication that RE7's engine might be an entirely separate inhouse engine.
I would be surprised if they didn't build panta Rhei with scalability in mind. Well, maybe I shouldn't.

It's crazy how things have been terrible for Capcom. Going from MT Framework, which happened fast, was powerful, easy to developp for and well optimised to Panta Rhei... Which was show 3 years ago and still hasnt produced anything.

I would be surprised if they didn't build panta Rhei with scalability in mind. Well, maybe I shouldn't.

You should be. MT framework was damn scalable. From 3DS to high end PC.

L Thammy

I admittedly still don't understand why they don't stick to MT Framework. I vaguely recall them saying that it was unfit for current gen systems, but I don't know why that is, and I find it hard to imagine that using it is more problematic than hoping Panty Raid pans out or not avoiding games aimed at PS4/XB1.

I admittedly still don't understand why they don't stick to MT Framework. I vaguely recall them saying that it was unfit for current gen systems, but I don't know why that is, and I find it hard to imagine that using it is more problematic than hoping Panty Raid pans out or not avoiding games aimed at PS4/XB1.

They should've just continued updating the MT Framework engine instead of abandoning it, sort of like what ND does. HD development for JP devs hasn't been kind.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Basically they felt the actual game creation tools part of the engine wasn't efficient enough for them to make AAA PS4 caliber games on, so they tried to make something with fully automatic lighting and fluid sims and etc to cut down on lighting and VFX workloads.

The performance profile of that wasn't actually workable on this generation of consoles though which is why Deep Down took place in tiny rooms and seemed to run at 720p.

This wasn't acceptable for most of their games though so they had to figure out how to rebuild it to actually work for their targeted game design.

So far they've only ended up shipping MT Framework, UE4, and soon Unity 5 games on PS4.

Should have worked forwards not backwards. A new engine so soon in a console's lifespan is a deadly proposition. Unity, UE4, and MT should be what they used until Panty Raid was ready to go.

They seem to understand that now, but the beginning of the generation was pretty rough. I'd think that's another part of their ever growing cost problem.

Sesha

For those curious, since this always gets asked a lot and there's never a comprehensive lists, Capcom has made/is making the following current titles for current gen consoles, not counting simple ports like RE456 and USF4 on PS4 or games that haven't received a title (like the three unannounced major titles they mentioned in their latest financial report):

Released:

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
Ace Attorney 5
Dai Gyakuten Saiban
Dead Rising 3
DmC Definitive Edition
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition
Dragon's Dogma Online
E.X. Troopers
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter 4
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Monster Hunter X/Generations
Monster Hunter Frontier G
Nazo Waku Yakata
Resident Evil HD
Resident Evil 0 HD
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
Sengoku Basara 4
Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi
Street Fighter V

In development:

Ace Attorney 6
Deep Down
Monster Hunter Stories
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Resident Evil 7
Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-den
Umbrella Corps

A lot of the released titles include cross-gen titles.

Basically they felt the actual game creation tools part of the engine wasn't efficient enough for them to make AAA PS4 caliber games on, so they tried to make something with fully automatic lighting and fluid sims and etc to cut down on lighting and VFX workloads.

The performance profile of that wasn't actually workable on this generation of consoles though which is why Deep Down took place in tiny rooms and seemed to run at 720p.

This wasn't acceptable for most of their games though so they had to figure out how to rebuild it to actually work for their targeted game design.

So far they've only ended up shipping MT Framework, UE4, and soon Unity 5 games on PS4.

Didn't games released on later iterations of MT Framework (2.0 and on) also struggle a fair bit more than earlier titles?

Was this also in the latest financial reports? I remember one passage talking about a new engine, but I assumed that was just referring to Panta Rhei.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Problems with an engine are far more likely to be due to scaling with data-size/complexity than performance per se.

I'm talking about the amount of time required to shift/add an object into a large level and then test the result on-screen. If that process is taking exponentially longer the bigger and more complex the entire data-set, then you have a massive problem.

Pipeline efficiency is arguably a bigger issue than final performance efficiency when judging the viability of a piece of tech, and its something that might not become apparent until thousands of elements (textures, geometry, scripts, etc) are in play.

Versioning and maintaining massive shared-data repositories is a very big deal.

Durante

It's certainly a sad showing so far after MT Framework, which was seemingly (judged from the outside) a productive, highly scalable, and very solidly performing engine.

It really makes me wonder if Deep Down is dead... I hope not so I'll be patient. I want to believe this is just another last guardian unicorn type game and will be re-revealed to great fanfare, but it's Capcom we're talking about. The company where dreams go to die..

Trace

Banned
It really makes me wonder if Deep Down is dead... I hope not so I'll be patient. I want to believe this is just another last guardian unicorn type game and will be re-revealed to great fanfare, but it's Capcom we're talking about. The company where dreams go to die..

If we don't see it this year, it's dead. At this point it's possible they were reworking it, and we have those rumors about it being developed with the Neo in mind.

Top Bottom