• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Happened With 3rd Party VC Support On Wii U? Should We Worry About Switch?

HotHamBoy

Both the Wii and 3DS got great Virtual Console support, especially the Wii which saw a number of non-Nintendo platforms:

Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine CD Games (Lords of Thunder, Rondo of Blood!)
NeoGeo
Commodore 64
Arcade

Wii U VC got a lot of support from Nintendo, even if it was a drip-feed, and they introduced two new consoles to the service. But what happened with third party?

The only non-Nintendo VC console was the TG16/PCE and CD games were never released.

Now, I understand with vWii a person could still buy those games but, IMO, the Gamepad support and improved emulator shell features really improved the experience and appeal.

Another huge missed opportunity was NeoGeo Pocket games on the 3DS! Those titles are in serious need of a re-release.

Nintendo is already going to be running pretty late with VC and this time there's no BC to fall back on. Fortunately SNK is doing what Nintendon't and has already got a steady release schedule of NeoGeo games, but I worry that once again Sega will be MIA. I would really like to see not only Genesis on Switch, but even Saturn and Dreamcast. They both seem pretty doable with the hardware.

Saturn games on Switch alone would be a megaton.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
aw come on, Konami released China Warrior and Detana Twinbee just last week!

Type40

Technically there was no 3rd party VC support. Nintendo selected and paid sega/nec/etc to publish VC titles.

Zero83

I'm worried about Virtual Console actually existing in any form on the Switch.

Maybe VC is being totally revamped for the Switch and that's causing the long delay and total silence.

Gleethor

VC isn't the Free Money Tree that fans think it is, but more importantly the Wii U sold like shit compared to the Wii.

Malice215

I hope we hear something today about their plans.

VC is going to happen eventually, and the Switch is the perfect device for it.

Danneee

Switch VC will be the same old SNES and NES (maaaybe N64) games. Again. I feel like all other publishers kind of jumped ship after the fantastic Wii VC.

Top Bottom