• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Microsoft had stuck with their original Xbox one plan.

Matt

Like I said just copied the list that I saw online. But I do remember the 10 member thing and that sounded preety doable and it would have been awsome.
It also would have not worked anything like that.

The system you're talking about would be, frankly, insane.

Thewonandonly

There was an outrage and a 180 for a reason.

It would probably be doing wii u numbers or worse and would in no way shape or form would it be doing better in sales if they had stuck to the original plans.
Well not right away but they could have done better in the long run with great word of Mouth. If all AAA games were 50 dollars on Xbox one then ya they would buy it. Then if their were crazy like steam sales where games cost dollars then everyone would be talking about that sale. People would look at the console different and just not see a weaker ps4

OnPoint

24 hour check in is the worst.

If my internet goes down, or I want to bring my console and a small TV to some cabin in the woods, or whatever, I shouldn't lose access to my single player games.

Like, I could seriously get behind just about anything else besides that one. But in the end I prefer the status quo.
A million times this.

wapplew

People give Don Mattrick a lot of shit, he might be a douche bag, but at lease he have bold vision and big balls.
It's go big or go home, if their plan works, it change the industry for better or worst.
What did Spencer who take all the credit do? Nothing but save, obvious and risk free move, copy their competitions every step, it can't save Xbox one, just delay the death.

Ya, I would love to see them stick with their original plan, double down on Kinect 2.0 too!

Well not right away but they could have done better in the long run with great word of Mouth. If all AAA games were 50 dollars on Xbox one then ya they would buy it. Then if their were crazy like steam sales where games cost dollars then everyone would be talking about that sale. People would look at the console different and just not see a weaker ps4

Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking on your part.

gsrjedi

I don't think all the logistics were in place at the time of reveal which led to most of the confusion. Should've gotten all that stuffed finalized before announcing anything.

A lot of their plans were what I wanted for years for consoles before they announced it. I love buying physical PC games on sale & just putting the codes into Steam or Origin. I wish I could use Gamer's Club Unlocked, but I'm all digital.

I still wish they could've kept the physical to digital thing though. I'm really hoping to see it in the next generation.

Could've done without the 24 hour check-ins. I understand the need for it, but the time period should've been longer like Steam

farisr

So basically assumption central + absolutely unrealistic best case scenario for the view that you choose to have.

A more realistic assumption would be negative word of mouth spreading from the average unsuspecting consumer not in the know buying the system (because it's an xbox) and finding out that they can't sell/lend/borrow physical copies of games to/from whoever they choose, and if they hadn't turned their xbox on for the last 24 hours and their internet just so happens to be down, they're locked out of playing their games.

IvanJ

Banned
There are other points that OP missed:
- Games were supposed to be region locked
- Not only were games region locked, the entire console and Live were supposed to be region locked, so that you cannot access it outside the country. Even to the extent that the console outside Tier 1 would not work because it was not able to connect to Live (issue brought forward by US military personnel - submariners :)

- Also, it is easy to forget that the 24-hour check in was not the original plan.
The original was a constant online presence - no internet no XBox. The 24 hour parole officer was actually a backtrack from that.

OP paints other restrictions rather positively, and adds other speculation never announced or intended to work. Game trade in would have been horrible for anyone a bit farther from a licensed reseller (basically everyone outside US metro areas would have been screwed)

Sometimes I hope that they never backtracked on their ideas, just to see how bad it would have gotten.
I think they would have sold half of what they did in the US and Uk, next to nothing in other 11 Tier 1 countries, and would have never even gotten to Tier 2 launch.

RexNovis

Banned
That sure is some A Grade revisionist history you have there in the OP. There is more misinformation there than a pre release Albert Penello post.

If they hadn't backtracked the system would be have likely performed even worse than the WiiU has WW. Much of the world would've been within spitting distance of Japan's XB1 sales this gen.

Lazaro

I'm calling BS on this, still.

MS never in any way shape or form came out about what the family sharing actually entailed until AFTER they pulled the 180.

They were entirely shady af in any interview where questions came up about it, until after they changed the policy and then said all these things about the family share and how GREAT and AMAZING it would've been.

I'm almost certain someone had said on here back during that timeframe that it was only timed access to the games, as well.

Family sharing is sort of enabled for Windows Store apps and games. Up to 10 Windows device (phones, PCs, tablets) can download the paid app/game but It's up to developers if they want to allow multiple users playing it though.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is the only Windows 10 game I know of that doesn't allow multiple users playing the game at the same time.

They'd be dead in the water and probably out of the market completely, rightfully so.

There was no family sharing program, maybe in the form of some 10 hour trial bullshit and that is being optimistic.

You could only resell games at authorized sellers like GameStop, aka Penny's on the dollar for brand new games.

People wishing a Don Mattrick inspired marketplace was real tells me what I need to know about them. Same with people thinking it was just too ahead of its time. No one is doing this next gen, the market will not suddenly accept this anti consumer crap while physical retail still exists and is the best option for most people with its flexibility.

AmyS

If Microsoft stuck with their original Xbox One plan with mandatory always-connected, DRM / no used games, Kinect, all-in-one television/games integration, etc, the Xbox One would be doing even worse vs PS4 than they have been. The gap between Xbox One and PS4 in the U.S. / NA would be much wider.

Metfanant

Umm...I don't think you properly read what you're responding to

Halo 5 would've been less of a mess since they wouldn't have had to change a bunch of shit prior to launch. You may have actually USED those hub areas and maybe the background enemies could have moved at 60 fps.

Lol maybe even split screen.

So the DRM would have allowed the second GPU to be available for developers and increase the performance of the box?

Lucinice

Neo Member
I hate when people try to defend Microsoft's original plan, that DRM was completely draconian. I hate being treated like a criminal by big corporations.

Hasney

I wouldn't be owning one right now is as much as I could tell you. The selling back to MS would only be 5-10% or something shitty like that and it was an awfulk move for consumers. I went with the PS4 first due to more power anyway, but I wouldn't have eventually bought an XBox with all that bollocks still on it.

Deadbeat

Banned
I came into this thread expecting the OP to have revisionist history, and of course the OP did. This is going to happen forever now, right?

Reality check: There is no reason why MS couldn't implement reselling and sharing digital games right now. I wonder why they don't.
Their originally planned physical Property Removal System would only have benefited them, not us.
No amount of explaining would have made it not suck.

exactly. and keep in mind that Sony originally had game sharing between 5 accounts for all digital games.

They ended up having to restrict that down to 2 or 3 (I forget which) due to pressure from publishers, and revamp it entirely for PS4. There is no way microsoft would have gotten away with family share as you describe.

krang

I would have enjoyed it. The idea of having digital-style games but having retailers be able to compete on price would be ace. Plus I would get to have my physical LEs but not have to put a disc in.

The 24 hour check-in was the killer. Why they didn't propose a registration/unregister games while being online, but have offline be ok for the rest of the time, I've not worked out. So you'd have to go online to activate the game on your account or console (or combination), then you'd have to unregister it before selling it on. Seems like it might have worked the best within the confines of the system.

Xbox as a brand would be dead and MS would probably not be in console business anymore after the last One leaving the factory.

Arklite

The box would've been down in the trash dumps. The entire thing was a joke that they couldn't explain properly at every turn. Misinformation and constant revisions of their own message meant no one knew anything concrete. It was a huge PR failure on their part that they couldn't sell even if it had been a good thing, which it wasn't.

The 10 family sharing thing is the biggest joke, a final bit of BS that they let slip, never explained, and then evaporated alongside the entire DRM scheme a week later.

Consoles wouldn't be on the verge of collapse like they are now. Digital is the future (by which I mean the past, as mobile and PC have been digital-only for years) and everyone knows it, but the massive backlash of idiots poisoned that well for a long time to come. Does anyone think a PS5 or Xbox 4 could implement similar features even years from now after that freakout? And then you're talking about pushing 2025 with boxes still relying on discs. That couldn't happen. I think the mass of gamers drawing a line in the sand and saying we'll accept progress up to here, but no further, is exactly what led to the current plans of incremental console upgrades, which will destroy the console market.

Edit: And of course MS would be doing better if they had stuck to the plan, not just because the whiners were a minority, but because it was the Xbone's big distinguishing feature. Now it's just a weaker PS4 with nothing that makes it stand apart.

Teletraan1

Banned
It probably would have sold a little bit less and that is all. The hardcore XBOX people still would have bought it. It was still going to have Halo 5 and Forza etc. The nebulous reasons that people use for why they use their XB1 over their PS4 would not have changed. It would still have a better controller for some, it would still have their friends, it would still have a more favorable UI for them, A USB HDD can be plugged in. Basically these people were going to buy it anyway shy of it giving you cancer because that was their preference.

Matt

Consoles wouldn't be on the verge of collapse like they are now. Digital is the future (by which I mean the past, as mobile and PC have been digital-only for years) and everyone knows it, but the massive backlash of idiots poisoned that well for a long time to come. Does anyone think a PS5 or Xbox 4 could implement similar features even years from now after that freakout? And then you're talking about pushing 2025 with boxes still relying on discs. That couldn't happen. I think the mass of gamers drawing a line in the sand and saying we'll accept progress up to here, but no further, is exactly what led to the current plans of incremental console upgrades, which will destroy the console market.

You can still buy every game digitally.

Halo 5 would've been less of a mess since they wouldn't have had to change a bunch of shit prior to launch. You may have actually USED those hub areas and maybe the background enemies could have moved at 60 fps.

Lol maybe even split screen.

what the hell does this have to do with Halo?

Edit: And of course MS would be doing better if they had stuck to the plan, not just because the whiners were a minority, but because it was the Xbone's big distinguishing feature. Now it's just a weaker PS4 with nothing that makes it stand apart.

Didn't they make a 180 after witnessing abysmal pre-order numbers? Or do we actually know for sure why they changed their mind? The shitstorm did its part I'm sure, but probably wasn't the main reason.

I hate when people try to defend Microsoft's original plan, that DRM was completely draconian. I hate being treated like a criminal by big corporations.

Solution was simple. Don't buy it if you don't like it. I liked it and thought it had real potential.

You can, but it's a lesser experience than we would have gotten. Mad Max gets ridiculous sales at retail but I don't get to take advantage of those because I want a digital copy. Under Microsoft's original plan, I could have bought that retail copy on sale, installed it, then thrown the disc away. But now my options are to pay more for a digital copy or be shackled to a disc forever. Of course the disc loses in that scenario, but I lose as well.

Didn't they make a 180 after witnessing abysmal pre-order numbers? Or do we actually know for sure why they changed their mind? The shitstorm did its part I'm sure, but probably wasn't the main reason.

Yeah, I have to assume they had hard data to back up their decision, but it was still so early. I wonder how their numbers now compare to the numbers they freaked out about.

Of course, that's all well and good for you, but not everyone that would be a potential XBox One owner has the same kind of stable access to internet you do.

I didn't buy an XBox One, but I have been through two periods of time without internet since 2013. First was when I moved and the tech couldn't make it out to my residence for 3 days after I moved in. Second was when my cable modem died and I had to order another one. I ended up playing Steam games in offline mode, but it would have driven me crazy if I had an XBox One suddenly say to me "welp, guess you can't play any of these games you bought" and would have pissed me off to no end.

And that's just times for myself. There are people out there that live in rural areas that are still connected through dial up, there are people living in countries where internet is a bit harder to come across, there are military folks out god knows where that enjoy playing games in their down time. There are too many reasons to not shut your console down just because of lack of internet that it was crazy they wanted to implement that in the first place.

I think it simply comes down to people knowing what exactly they are buying, and being willing to take on the risk of owning such a product.

If Sony cut game sharing from 5 to 2 people..
There is no way in hell MS was gonna let 10 people play one game.

Yall drink the hell out some KoolAid it seems.

Matt

You can, but it's a lesser experience than we would have gotten. Mad Max gets ridiculous sales at retail but I don't get to take advantage of those because I want a digital copy. Under Microsoft's original plan, I could have bought that retail copy on sale, installed it, then thrown the disc away. But now my options are to pay more for a digital copy or be shackled to a disc forever. Of course the disc loses in that scenario, but I lose as well.
But what does that have to do with anything else you talked about? How is this decision leading to the downfall of consoles?

Lynn616

I would love to go all digital but game disc from Amazon and others are always cheaper and no download. Would have been nice to keep the cheaper prices of disc with the convenience of digital.

farisr

Preorder numbers were horrible before the 180. It wasn't a vocal minority just talking about it/against it, someone would have to be really ignorant or salty to believe that was the case.

It got really public, with it being mentioned on the news, newspapers and even jimmy fallon had cerny on the show getting huge applause when talking about not requiring an internet connection and supporting used games as opposed to the xbox one. When someone like my uncle who has nothing to do with gaming brings it up in a conversation and knows that it's bad news, you fucked up, bad.

Marvel

could never
I wouldn't have bought mine... not even for my beloved Gears and Halo. It was simply an awful idea and I'm stoked they backed down in the end.

Matt

I would love to go all digital but game disc from Amazon and others are always cheaper and no download. Would have been nice to keep the cheaper prices of disc with the convenience of digital.
I actually agree with this, for me personally it would have been a great system. But let's not just invent additional benefits.

Top Bottom