• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Sony rereleased a limited edition PS3

Would you buy a backwards compatible PS3 with revised internals?

• Total voters

solidus12

Now, hear me out.
Some of us PlayStation fans are dying for a system that’s fully backwards compatible.

What if Sony were to release the original backwards compatible PS3 with PS2 hardware, with updated internals that would not be prone to failure.

The console would come with a 500GB hard drive (that you can upgrade) and would allow you to do everything a PS3 does + the full backwards compatibility.

For 199.99$

Wouldn’t that be great?

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So now we're doing hardware remasters?

soprano-get-the-fuck-outta-here.gif

Kuranghi

What if Sony were to release the original backwards compatible PS3 with PS2 hardware, with updated internals that would not be prone to failure.

I'd like them to release it but with internals that are even more prone to failure than the original, I like to live life on the edge.

Jokes aside, if this DOES happen, its likely to happen around the time that Proton Decay occurs:

and that might not even happen.

LordOfChaos

I'm more interested in adding the Cell to the hardware of a PS5 Pro, another 200m transistors is nothing in modern APU scales, and let it assist however developers want in PS5 Pro enhanced games. What I wanted for the PS5.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have one too, but it’s a PAL model without the EE cpu…

And let’s be honest, without proper maintenance these consoles are ticking bombs.
I have been lucky with my first PS3 fat with the emotion chip is still alive and well though haven't actually fired it up in quite awhile

solidus12

I'm more interested in adding the Cell to the hardware of a PS5 Pro, another 200m transistors is nothing in modern APU scales, and let it assist however developers want in PS5 Pro enhanced games. What I wanted for the PS5.
Cell can also emulate the PS1 and PS2.

solidus12

They are minimum of $250 which isn't that bad when you look at the 3DS market.
There are some backwards compatible PS3s with the Frankenstein mod; this mod swaps the old 90nm RSX for a 40nm for maximum cooling and with the Nec tokin capacitor replaced, a better cooling fan and the power effecient psu; it can be quite expensive.

TexMex

No I’m not giving them that out to not have to figure out a good solution on PS5. I do not want the answer to be go buy a second machine. I want it all in one place.

baphomet

What's with people now knowing that the PS3 is shit for playing PS1 and PS2 games?

Like it's complete shit full of lag and awful at displaying games correctly.

Patrick S.

Banned
I loved the original PlayStation and the PS2, but somehow I never really loved the PS3. There weren't many exclusives I cared about, and most multiplatform games were just better on my 360.

So, as a collectible I'd possibly consider it. But to hook it up to my TV to play games on? Nah, not really.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It would be neat but I wouldn't buy it. I have a perfectly good PS3 slim.

If it means they make the PS store not suck on PS3 when it releases I would welcome it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just use a PC or Xbox for PS1 & PS2. Its very convenient.

For any PS3 games (lol) you are covered by having a PS5 (many got ported to PS4) and a PC/Xbox for multiplats. There is no reason to use a PS3 in 2022 unless you already own one/bought lotsa stuff on PSN.

Ozzie666

Mini PS3, with modern features. With either mini CD or games on SD cards sold in shops. In fact go a step further make it the PlayStation Legacy Ps1, Ps2, Ps3, Vita, PSP and include Playstation Arcade Hardware board game from Capcom, Konami, Namco etc.

People would eat up mini CD/SD card games, like an Evercade on Steroids. Take it one more step further and make it a dock-able hand held. Print money. If you can figure out away to redesign the Ps3 Cell and IO's etc. or emulate.

HYDE

Banned
Rather Sony just make the entire libraries of console & portable games digitally available for PS store to purchase, sick of systems all over the place.

I don’t get why they can’t get a PowerPC processor from 2006 emulated on a current x86 chipset. Or if they even tried.

Last edited:

Three

How much would it honestly cost to just add Cell to the hardware of PS5?
Millions if you do it for all the PS5s. They made that mistake already by adding PS2 chips in PS3 then having to cut them out to reduce cost and remain price competitive. What I do wonder though is would it be possible to add some kind of expansion slot to consoles and be able to add them in as a separately sold accessory. A bit like an expansion pack for more RAM but for full BC.

Top Bottom