• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Sony rereleased a limited edition PS3

Would you buy a backwards compatible PS3 with revised internals?

• Total voters

FStubbs

Rather pointless. Most of the best PS3 games were remastered or ported to more modern platforms.

Note: I'm not saying this to troll. Just looking at the library of actual PS3 games.

radewagon

I'd buy it day one. Love the original PS 1-3 libraries. I've got a BC Phat PS3, but honestly, the reliability on those is pretty iffy. I'd love a new, more reliable model that runs cooler and quieter. I know a lot of people would rather have BC come to PS5 because, obviously, that would be pretty great. Unfortunately, I don't see Sony doing so while letting me use my original discs (like MS did). And even then, the titles would be limited. Having an efficient BC Sony machine that worked with original physical discs would be a dream come true. There are still a lot of games trapped on those generations of hardware.
  • Killzone 1-3
  • Infamous 1-2 + Festival of Blood
  • Folklore
  • Sly Cooper 1-4
  • Legacy of Kain Series
  • Beatles Rock Band
  • Ratchet and Clank (all of them except the latest two games)
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Motorstorm Series
  • Drakengard Series
And those are just the ones off the top of my head. They are all trapped in the past.

Last edited:
Now, hear me out.
Some of us PlayStation fans are dying for a system that’s fully backwards compatible.

What if Sony were to release the original backwards compatible PS3 with PS2 hardware, with updated internals that would not be prone to failure.

The console would come with a 500GB hard drive (that you can upgrade) and would allow you to do everything a PS3 does + the full backwards compatibility.

For 199.99$

Wouldn’t that be great?

I would buy it for just the PS3 games.

I don't need those edition anymore, I have a gaming laptop that can even run Red dead redemption 2 at Ultra.

So I can play both ps1 and ps2.

poodaddy

Still got my fatty PS3. One of my favorites still, absolutely love this console man. When it fails, I'll have it repaired, already had the thermal paste replaced around 8 years ago, and it's still going strong.

old-parts

I loved the PS3, to me it now seems in hind sight the last true Japanese Playstation before UK->USA takeover with PS4->PS5.

But there's no reason to release such a machine when there are old launch PS3's still for sale and there's no way you'd reach such a low cost with new retail hardware, the amount of effort to go around buying old PS2/PS3's to scavenge chips from them is just not financially viable, chips are ordered in mass volumes from factories, when the chips stop being made it costs a fortune to start production again. The semiconductors chips in PS2/PS3 are pretty much all extinct.

So the options are.
1) PC emulation.
2) A PS2/PS3 mini with a handful of ported games to whatever hardware inside it.
3) Sony sells a PS2/PS3 software emulator for PS5.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
no. it would only be an opportunity for sony to make more $ when they should've added PS3 support in the PS5. they are too lazy and greedy.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
why not.
Ps4 is made totally obsolete and there is no reason to own it or keep it.
But ps3 is a different story. Especially model with hardware bc

Fbh

Does it play PS3 games in 4K 60fps or is the original 720p(ish) and 30fps with drops?

Though honestly, either way I wouldn't be interested. There's not that many PS3 era games that I care about and haven't been either remastered or ported to PC.

Sleepwalker

I would buy it for just the PS3 games.

I don't need those edition anymore, I have a gaming laptop that can even run Red dead redemption 2 at Ultra.

So I can play both ps1 and ps2.
If you can run RDR2 at ultra congratulations! You can also run PS3 games! No need to buy anything.

Also OP this is the worst idea in the history of ideas.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Just use a PC or Xbox for PS1 & PS2. Its very convenient.

For any PS3 games (lol) you are covered by having a PS5 (many got ported to PS4) and a PC/Xbox for multiplats. There is no reason to use a PS3 in 2022 unless you already own one/bought lotsa stuff on PSN.

Good idea in theory but PS3 still holds hostage some notable games like Ratchet & Clank.

Ev1L AuRoN

If Sony puts hardware BC on a PS5 premium and ask for another 199 on top of the MSRP price, I would be all for it...

As a standalone product... I'm good.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I might buy one, I have the Metal Gear Collection I still need to play through that.

The Dreamcast did this sort of re-release of hardware not long ago and people were ecstatic and happy to buy one.

Going from the responses in this thread I guess it seems too soon for PS3.

EDMIX

Now, hear me out.
Some of us PlayStation fans are dying for a system that’s fully backwards compatible.

What if Sony were to release the original backwards compatible PS3 with PS2 hardware, with updated internals that would not be prone to failure.

The console would come with a 500GB hard drive (that you can upgrade) and would allow you to do everything a PS3 does + the full backwards compatibility.

For 199.99$

Wouldn’t that be great?

I mean...maybe. I think down the line you'd see one ala classics as we saw one for PS1

Realistically it would be easier to just emulate PS1,PS2 and PS3 on PS5 or 6 or something.

Top Bottom