• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is going to be the next disruptive tech/entertainment revolution?

Jubenhimer

Every few years or so, some unassuming innovation in tech or entertainment comes along that completely upends the entire industry. Everybody in the business gets so obsessed over what is assumed to be the future whether its AI, VR, Flying Cars, etc. But history has shown that the biggest revolutions come from products and services that literally nobody saw coming. YouTube, Netflix, CD, MTV, Walkman, Nintendo DS, iPod and iPhone. All of these were the most revolutionary products of their time, yet they were also the most unexpected as well.

So what's going to be the next major disruption to the entertainment or tech industry? I think with the ongoing Writers Guild and SAG-AFTA strikes in Hollywood right now, I believe the independent film and tv market is going to to explode in the future. With so much industry consolidation happening the past few years (We basically have 4 or 5 mass media conglomerates), the market seems ripe for independent providers to start providing alternatives. The audience and technology is already available, there just needs to be the push from people to do it.

Von Hugh

I don't know.

I mean, this is the right answer. Nobody knows yet.

But I can see physical stuff becoming more digitalized (of course), and digital stuff becoming more interconnected and integrated. Both of these cases most likely need some degree of embeddedness (?) to work, meaning that if and when stuff like passports become digital, there needs to be a digital representation of yourself in your phone or yourself. Biometric passports are already a thing, but not really widespread.

Meta's/Facebook's digital avatar stuff is kind of cringey at this stage, but there are the obvious use cases of using the avatars in gaming or movies or TV series. Embedding yourself into the entertainment. You could use the same avatar in the "real world" as well; you enter a clothing store, interact with an item and you can see yourself/your avatar somewhere wearing that item. But, how are you identified?

I like that when charging your Tesla at a super charger, you can just plug in the cable, and everything is handled by the car and the app. Your credit card is connected to the app already and so is the car, so you don't have to do anything else other than plugging in the cable. It is kind of utopistic yet to say that I want this for myself as well, but I want to be able to pay stuff with only my face or fingerprint, for example. I want to be able to travel without a physical passport. Maybe I want to be able to put myself into entertainment products or other forms of interaction as well.

20cent

Banned
It will be some kind of digital ...thing. Current generations are stuck on their phone screens, I can't see any new gadget or device, such as the Walkman, NDS, iPod etc taking off... Even VR take them off of Instagram/TikTok for too long so it failed. At least at the cinema they can keep an eye on the phone notifications....... :messenger_poop:

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There’s barely anything to disrupt anymore. We were cheering kids for being able to instantly grasp modern tech at such a young age. Now they’re literally dependent on smartphones. Nobody can sustain a conversation or go through an evening without pulling out their phone at some moment. Nobody is able to watch a whole movie, take a walk, wait in line for a few minutes without looking at their smartphone. I seriously don’t understand how high school is even supposed to work anymore, how any kid can be motivated and concentrated enough to study. Or work.

The next disruptive big thing is going to be something that takes away more jobs than ever before. It will make the smartphone-addict generation completely unemployable, and they won’t even complain because most of them won’t be prepared or interested enough to work anyway. And it will kick a lot of people not in the top tier of their profession out of a job. Nothing else can disrupt society to a higher degree than anytime, anywhere internet has done.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Virtual Reality Apple GIF by David Altizer

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There’s barely anything to disrupt anymore. We were cheering kids for being able to instantly grasp modern tech at such a young age. Now they’re literally dependent on smartphones. Nobody can sustain a conversation or go through an evening without pulling out their phone at some moment. Nobody is able to watch a whole movie, take a walk, wait in line for a few minutes without looking at their smartphone. I seriously don’t understand how high school is even supposed to work anymore, how any kid can be motivated and concentrated enough to study. Or work.

The next disruptive big thing is going to be something that takes away more jobs than ever before. It will make the smartphone-addict generation completely unemployable, and they won’t even complain because most of them won’t be prepared or interested enough to work anyway. And it will kick a lot of people not in the top tier of their profession out of a job. Nothing else can disrupt society to a higher degree than anytime, anywhere internet has done.
I think its just going to keep shortening the distance of the computer to the user. We're already at the point that all the knowledge of the internet is in the palm of your hand, with AI, voice search, global satellite positioning, etc.

Only two steps left to shorten the distance:
1) Wearable
2) Implants

A lot of attempts at wearable have been unsuccessful. Some clothing with chips in it or backpacks with charging packs, google glass. Smartwatches are decently successful but more of a little stop-gap to get to your phone. So yeah, the next step is implants.

Kenpachii

Brain chips, this could cripple humans completely.

- Think about losing weight being super easy, because u program full all the time in your brain.
- mobile/pc/anything? no longer needed u can simple just instant dream and think about u doing exactly that thing in your house
- fix endless problems of sicknesses and other problems people can experience like ptsd.
- will kill relationships entirely and need for companion, because any situation and fantasy u can imagine.
- etc etc.

brain chips will be so bad for humanity at the end on addiction it will get banned or limited by governments faster then light.

Last edited:
Yo mamma is the next disruptive tech entertainment revolution :3

edit: serious answer, nobody knows. The world has changed in a way that things are much quieter in a sense with revolutions. Take VR, which is thriving in it's own way but isn't like the iPhone in mainstream appeal. Same with handheld PC gaming machines a la the Steam Deck. These things are revolutionary but not really mainstream

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's likely going to be AI related. Some sort of advanced personal assistant. Then we can all be Joaquin Phoenix.

Joaquin Phoenix GIF by Filmin
This. The "eButler" that can pull conversational dialogue, tailer it's personality to each user, and resolve fairly open ended commands, "Alexa, find some good seats this weekend at an IMAX theater for Oppenheimer 2" and negotiate with retail AI to handle all the crap customer service used to do, "Alexa, I want to return this shirt, let The Gap-bot know".

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
One more vote for AI buddies. If it comes, it’ll be a complete gamechanger. Think of Blade Runner 2049 AI companion. It would change everything.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This. The "eButler" that can pull conversational dialogue, tailer it's personality to each user, and resolve fairly open ended commands, "Alexa, find some good seats this weekend at an IMAX theater for Oppenheimer 2" and negotiate with retail AI to handle all the crap customer service used to do, "Alexa, I want to return this shirt, let The Gap-bot know".

Spot on. I know Amazon have been developing an AI system that can buy goods for you it knows you want/need even if you haven't actually asked for them. It'll analyse your lifestyle and adjust accordingly. Literally you could open the front door on an Amazon delivery driver holding a box of Fruit n Fibre cereal, because your AI has noticed you're not shitting easily :messenger_grinning_sweat:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Spot on. I know Amazon have been developing an AI system that can buy goods for you it knows you want/need even if you haven't actually asked for them. It'll analyse your lifestyle and adjust accordingly. Literally you could open the front door on an Amazon delivery driver holding a box of Fruit n Fibre cereal, because your AI has noticed you're not shitting easily :messenger_grinning_sweat:
"Honey, why are we getting all these bottles of lotion and boxes of kleenex?"

"DAMN YOU ALEEEXXAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Why you laughing mate? This will be real. David Sinclair and his team are developing a device (think of a wristband) that analizes your blood 24/7 and are working of some of app which will suggest to you, based on your blood status, what to eat or to do to reach the optimal values. Pretty wild stuff. A combination with an AI like you suggest is just the next logical step.

Fbh

It's likely going to be AI related. Some sort of advanced personal assistant. Then we can all be Joaquin Phoenix.

Joaquin Phoenix GIF by Filmin

I could actually see it being something like this.
Lots of lonely people out there and the tech is getting to the point where it will probably soon be able to hold believable conversations. It will be able to do personal assistant stuff for you, but it's also going to be a "friend" who is always available, always eager to talk to you and tailored to your taste and interests. Though under it all it will basically be one of the most detailed data collection and targeted marketing/sales tools ever

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Why you laughing mate? This will be real. David Sinclair and his team are developing a device (think of a wristband) that analizes your blood 24/7 and are working of some of app which will suggest to you, based on your blood status, what to eat or to do to reach the optimal values. Pretty wild stuff. A combination with an AI like you suggest is just the next logical step.

This.

And 'Smart Cities' which will eventually manifest in combination with an credit system.

For example sake; Run a red light, instant consequences; for example 30 minutes delay before being able to enter your smart appartment or your electricity will be cut an hour earlier.

Not being able to use your smart car for an hour while having instantly having your credit/social score lowered leading to a myriad of consequences.

IE behave like a "good robo.. uhh citizen" and all will be fine, save and most importantly; convenient.

Also, obey your daily calorie intake etc.

A complete monitored totalitarian state.

Don't worry. Your save and TPTB  KNOW what's good for you!!!!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
AI of course, also I feel like virtual reality is on a down swing now. It’s probably not but seems it’s the 3D tv of the current gen

Mistake

My answer would be a more accessible form of digital payments similar to crypto, giving people economic freedom. The current issue for crypto is it's mostly followed by enthusiasts, and not the general public. Entry is too complicated without tying in your personal information, which defeats the purpose. The obvious drawback is many countries will have to rework their tax codes before economies go insane, and is quite likely to happen with how slow government works.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
ESports will start to outdraw traditional sports over the next decade. Multiplayer will begin booming in a way most don't realize.

Trunx81

None of the above.

Yes, the Vision Pro (I even hat to google the name because I forgot it) has some nice features, but it won´t reach mass market (remindmein3years).

AI is currently on a hype and it has some serious implications for the entertainment industry (I´ve spent yesterday evening listening to Frank Sinatra singing modern songs and loved it), but will it change the way we THINK?

The iphone gave us new words, like "Swipe", "pinch", "selfies", etc. Can´t imagine that happening for AI in the future. Heck, even the Apple Watch wasn´t a gamechanger.

Electric or even flying cars? No, that won´t be it.

My best bet would be on something Graphene-related. Have things charge in seconds and you got billions of new possibilites.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
There is going to have to be a huge paradigm shift before any new changes can occur.

I think we're in for at least a couple of decades of stagnation to be honest.

Movies and television seem to have become oversaturated with people who lack true talent.

Video games seem more preoccupied with monetization schemes than they do new gameplay concepts.

There is so much crao being thrown at us that we're almost overfed so to speak.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
There is going to have to be a huge paradigm shift before any new changes can occur.

I think we're in for at least a couple of decades of stagnation to be honest.

Movies and television seem to have become oversaturated with people who lack true talent.

Video games seem more preoccupied with monetization schemes than they do new gameplay concepts.

There is so much crao being thrown at us that we're almost overfed so to speak.

The shift is taking place.

Slowly but surely.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
None of the above.

Yes, the Vision Pro (I even hat to google the name because I forgot it) has some nice features, but it won´t reach mass market (remindmein3years).

AI is currently on a hype and it has some serious implications for the entertainment industry (I´ve spent yesterday evening listening to Frank Sinatra singing modern songs and loved it), but will it change the way we THINK?

The iphone gave us new words, like "Swipe", "pinch", "selfies", etc. Can´t imagine that happening for AI in the future. Heck, even the Apple Watch wasn´t a gamechanger.

Electric or even flying cars? No, that won´t be it.

My best bet would be on something Graphene-related. Have things charge in seconds and you got billions of new possibilites.

Extrapolate current "in use" 'applicatons' which can/are massively impacting society and add a decade or two. Voila.

Ammogeddon

I think AI is going to disruptive in a number of industries.

In respect to entertainment it has the potential to be transformative, in good ways and bad ways.

It could put a number of people out of work due to AI being able to do pretty much anything such as writing scripts and generating digital actors and scenes.

Imagine coming home, kicking back on the sofa and telling your AI to generate you a movie to your liking with your favourite actor (or you) as the lead. Eventually it’ll anticipate exactly what you’d like without instruction.

It all sounds like ridiculous sci-fi stuff but it’s already taking shape.

I think AI could have a really positive impact on games. It could help substantially reduce development times and allow smaller studios to achieve AAA quality in their games. Imagine not having to wait years for the next Skyrim or GTA.

Ownage

Gen AI will eventually be the holodeck from ST TNG. It's already creating original music and video content, writing books and scripts. Soon it will produce enterprise and entertainment software. After that, you beg to be jacked into the Matrix. The end.

AI today is not tomorrows AI. Currently AI uses old data and can bring it together in new ways. AI in reality should be able to think, ponder, reason and question. I think that might come hand in hand with quantum computing.

Mistake

Designer babies could be another. If the US doesn't do it, you know another country will. Although I suppose that doesn't fill the entertainment aspect on your post

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Some of you are too optimistic. Why would anyone want to sell you something that strictly monitors your health and gives you actually sound health advice 24/7? This is not how the health market thrives.

With all the talk about humans being too many to sustain, why would tech evolve to make people healthier and live longer?

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Some of you are too optimistic. Why would anyone want to sell you something that strictly monitors your health and gives you actually sound health advice 24/7? This is not how the health market thrives.

With all the talk about humans being too many to sustain, why would tech evolve to make people healthier and live longer?

Overpopulation is a joke. The efficiency of our infrastructure/housing is at a very low level.

Some behind the curtains that don't even view us as their equal will strive to maintain their life through soul/consciousness transfer into a new Earth meat suit while skipping the reincarnation process which would wipe their accumulated gained experience aka "eternal life"

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
People downplaying the impact AI and human neural/computer interfacing can and will have haven't been paying attention to how rapidly those areas have been progressing.

I remember reading Ray Kurzweil's "The Age of Spiritual Machines" in the 90s and thinking it was sci-fi. But here we are, closer than ever to The Singularity, which to me means a merging of man and machine/technology. We can debate specifics on the timing and methods, but doesn't it seem like that's where all this is heading?

sharp weiner

Neo Member
For me, it will be having a micro C-3PO type assistant that will be able to experience my life with me and help me better align my thoughts and feelings that arise from interactions with other humans. Basically a “translation layer” between the interface of myself and others.

Top Bottom