• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is it about FFVII in particular that made people crave a remake so badly?

Man

It's the greatest game of all time.

edit: For taste comparison sake, games who shook me upon their release:
SMW, Doom, Quake, FF7, Half-life, MGS, Silent Hill, Mario 64, Zelda: OOT, CounterStrike, Vagrant Story, GTA3, World of WarCraft, Demon's Souls.

Final Fantasy 7 was the greatest of them all.

The PS3 tech demo put ideas into people's heads. It dared them to dream big.

Knock it graphically all you want, FFVII's pre-rendered backgrounds are still gorgeous and chock full of detail and personality.

It's the greatest game of all time.

Also this.

SeZMehK

For me, it was my first JRPG. I never really thought about a remake until that PS3 Tech Demo. That was the biggest troll for Square... Ever since then I needed a remake. Lol

Zebetite

Banned
most popular final fantasy game, first 3d final fantasy game (thus early 3d graphics), square made that tech demo that got people all excited for a remake one day

etc

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Because, for me, FF7 was an awesome game in my favorite genre, that is now a bit dated in some aspects (namely, graphics and translation). There are other RPGs from that era that I like even more that I'd be over the moon with excitement if they got the big-budget remake treatment (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Star Ocean 2, SaGa Frontier)... but I think the reason that FF7 hit so hard was because it was dangled in front of all us by SE. We were teased with things like "this would cost too much to remake"... things like the reveal of the FF7 PC port last year... things like the intro video on PS3. And this teasing went on for years, making us wanting it even more.

BibiMaghoo

It is the greatest game of all time.

But it looks like shit in a sandwich toaster. It just needs a little bit of love to bring it up to a more reasonable standard of visual quality. That is all I want anyway, I'd rather they not change anything else at all.

It's the best selling game in the franchise, the most critically well-received, and for many people in the west it was their first JRPG. That, and the PS3 tech demo was such a massive cocktease.

dmr87

609OxTQ.gif

One of the reasons.

Aurongel

Misplaced nostalgia and rose tinted glasses for a game that was the introduction to RPGs of that scale for many younger people.

nib95

Banned
Greatest game of all time, easily, and I say this as someone who's completed it multiple times, including fairly recently. It's just an incredible culmination of things, such as amazing characters, villains, music, story, levels and cities, materia and combat systems, summons, enemies, bosses, locales, upgrades, weapons, gameplay variety and so on. The atmosphere, the world, Midgar, Shinra, the Gold Saucer and all these amazing places and events that take place, the darker almost steam punk tone, mixed with all these other styles and aesthetics, all of it just makes for something truly incredible.

After VII, hopefully they remake VI, because that's another one that stands out in the franchise.

Muffdraul

The original FFVII is one of THE most awkward mid-90s transitional phase games that was deeply rooted in 8-bit/16-bit but pushing hard into the 32-bit realm. Personally I think that has everything to do with its charm, I've never been on the remake bandwagon. All I ever asked for was a re-translation.

Misplaced nostalgia and rose tinted glasses for a game that was the introduction to RPGs of that scale for many younger people.

I resent this line of bullshit every time someone shits it into a thread. I was 28 when FFVII was released, I'd been playing video games since the early 70s and RPGs since 1980. And FFVII is one of my favorite games of all time.

I think the main reason is it's most people's first RPG.

Correct, combined with how poorly the PSX version has aged visually, and also because it has a few of the most memorable moments in all of videogame history. And that PS3 tech demo. I think it's a combination of all those reasons. Many people on this forum and elsewhere got into RPGs with FFVII. And a lot of them probably didn't get into gaming at all until the PS1 came out. Also note that although all demographics are well-represented here, Sony/PS fans (and JRPG fans in general) comprise the highest percentage.

FF8 and FF9 have aged noticeably better than FF7, hence there's far less demand for remakes of those.

As for me, I got into RPGs well before FFVII (started with Dragon Quest/Warrior 1)...and FF6 and Chrono Trigger were more memorable to me than FF7.

It just needs a little bit of love to bring it up to a more reasonable standard of visual quality. That is all I want anyway, I'd rather they not change anything else at all.
I think a lot of us feel this way, but know it cannot be so. They'll make changes and we'll get a reinterpretation of something we already can play as much as we want.

Zareka

As someone who's never played it before, yeah, it's the god awful graphics. I played a couple hours on my Vita and the localisation/graphics were unbearable. I even bought it on Steam for the remake style mods but after seeing how big a pain it was, never did mod it.

This remake is perfect for me. I've actually always loved what I've seen of this game in spin offs etc, which makes the original even more difficult to stomach. Being able to finally play it with (most likely) beautiful graphics on my PS4 is just so great and convenient.

Bummed it won't appear until 2019 or something though.

Yogg

For me, it was the first deep 3d RPG I played, and I spent TONS of time discovering pretty much everything about the game along with my best friend at the time.

I was young when I got that game on release, at an age when powerful moments stay engraved:
trying insane materia setups to beat Ruby Weapon, confronting Emerald weapon underleveled, getting the morph drop in a very fortunate whim on that pirate mob, discovering that the old geezer in a village rambling about master materias was actually right, seeing the first summons cutscenes in any RPGs, seeing a protagonist die mid-scenario, Those were without thinking too much, just the first moments that came to mind.

So yeah, it's mostly nostalgia. This game, and before that FFVI and Chrono Trigger, defined some of the aspects I love the most in videogames. I'm still often gauging potential buys in relation to standards I defined with those 3 games.

SE practically promised it when they showed that tech demo a decade ago. It's aged a lot now too.

But it's the best game ever. Brilliant music, iconic characters, great battle system and fantastic worlds. It's a magical game that deserves to be brought into the current gen universe.

Malreyn

Core reason for the Remake is it because it aged terribly like many people have said, but it never crossed my mind that I would crave one until Advent Children/Dirge of Cerebus and Crisis Core came out, followed by the PS3 tech demo.

Personally, I've been craving a FF6 remake ever since the N64 disk drive tech demo Squaresoft made before they abandoned ship for Sony

Tagyhag

It's a lot people's first RPG, and it's remembered fondly by default.

If you had an older game that you loved that you hadn't played since you were a child a remake would sound like a best thing ever.

nib95

Banned
Yup, it's the tech demo. I bet otherwise people would prefer a FF VI remake, I know I would.

VI is the second best Final Fantasy game imo. I'm glad they're remaking VII first. I have a feeling Kefka won't fare so well being fully realised and remade.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Because FF7 is a legendary game. In mainsteam circles it basically overshadows literally anything Square/Enix has ever made previous to that or since, and compilation just increased the thirst.

Hell it is "THE JRPG".

It doesn't help that you have this cult status, yet the game itself for all its moments and characters and scenarios, is stuck in the prehistoric ages in terms of tech and gameplay systems

Sephzilla

Also throwing this in as another explanation - FF7 was to JRPGs as Star Wars was to sci-fi movies. It was the right game at the right time and it exploded the entire genre wide open in terms of mainstream popularity (and sold a ton of PS1s in the process)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if FF6 is the next FF to get remade after 7 is done. FF6 is one of the few early ones that didn't get any kind of remake/update and has only hand a handful of ports, yet it's still in many fans Top 5 - maybe even Top 3

Dizzy

Banned
Probably the fact that they kind of teased one for PS3. People saw 'what could have been' and have been begging for it to be a reality since.

A lot of people would love a lot of remakes for a lot of games, but I think Square put it in peoples head that it could have been a reality.

Sky Chief

I think the main reason is it's most people's first RPG.

It was a seminal title that still plays well and holds considerable nostalgia.

Nostalgia.

Lots of people played it during their formative child/adolescence years so the the game really sticks with them. That plus its a very influential game that hasn't really been touched again in nearly two decades (movies + spin-offs are cool but aren't the same thing). If you didn't play the game when it came out and made waves, you may certainly still enjoy it but you won't have that "fervor" so to speak.

One of the things that I thought was really interesting about the reaction videos is that some of the people who were most excited were too young to have played the game when it was new. I think it has to be a lot more than nostalgia.

Pinky

Banned
VII really is special:

- first FF to appear on Sony's platform
- huge production values
- detailed, beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds/locales
- 3D/polygonal characters/battles
- huge world with plenty to do
- spans 3 discs
- FMVs

For the time, it was a revolution in RPGs

The story was the best out of the final fantasy games in my opinion and Aerith's death really stuck with a lot of people and really is a fond memory for a lot of people's childhoods.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The last really cool Final Fantasy setting that isn't completely ridiculous.

massoluk

Banned
It's a very popular game whose visual aged badly and was ugly as hell due to being made during the transition from 2D to 3D.

kmax

FFVII is the bench mark that all JRPG's strive to become. It's the legendary, immortal, cult classic that will forever be remembered as the most popular JRPG of all time.

It's a game ahead of its time, so it's incredible that we get to go back to that world again and experience it in full HD.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Well, even though I like VI better, I prefer it this way. The VII remake will let me know if I should look forward to a VI remake, or just stay away

It definitely was a lot of my generations' first RPG or first good one. I got into RPG's with Super Mario RPG and Final Fantasy VI, but VII is an unforgettable experience. It's not the best Final Fantasy, but it sure as hell is one of the best. The story, characters, gameplay and music are truly top-notch and are the reason why this game has such a huge cult following behind it.

Personally, I'm a hardcore IX guy, but I'm happy VII is being remade not only because the story and experience itself are simply incredible, but because it hits me hard with nostalgia and brings me back to my childhood when I truly loved RPG's.

Fantomas

It was the tech demo that made me personally want the remake to happen.

But I think the reason that the tech demo made me want it to happen is because it was one of the first PlayStation games I played, the first Final Fantasy game I played, and it's my favorite game of all time.

I have no problems with the graphics personally, it was always the translation that bothered me in later years (which is why the fan retranslation mod on PC made me happy). Although I do admit some of the odd English dialogue is charming, like Cloud telling the group "Let's mosey" as they head to the final boss battle and possibly both their and the planet's doom.

VariantX

FF7 was the mainstream console gamer's gateway in to JRPG's....hell just RPG's in general. The production values it brought to bear were head and shoulders over everything else on the console platforms at that time. It had tv commercials and everything. The instant that Square showed off that PS3 FF7 tech demo which looked better than any of the cg movies in the game, that thirst began, and people wanted to walk the streets of midgar again with the same fidelity as that demo. Replaying it isn't enough for people, people want to relive that experience in the way they did the first time. While they cant re-experience that games story again, the visuals at the very least will be a whole new experience.

platocplx

It's aged awfully.

yep. I tried once. it is so got damned ugly. almost all 3D games suffer the same fate.

2D/Cel Shaded games are so damn timeless. Its pretty crazy how awful games can be after being spoiled with new and shiny 3D games.

Darksol

It wasn't my first RPG or even my first JRPG. I want it because it was amazing, and it's nearly been two decades since it came out. I'm excited to see what they can do with it.

Top Bottom