• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Sega Spectrum?

Yup, the guys on the seganerds forum noticed the difference in the logos a while ago :(

Didn't want to stomp all over everyones hopes though.

Sega could release something with the specs of Wii U and I'd still be overly hyped.

5pOdc.gif

I have a Wii-U. If Sega released a rebranded Wii-U i'd double dip.
Actually Sega, just sell me some stickers to put on my Wii-U while i wait!

Izick

There's no way in hell it's a new console...has to be a service or something.

A new Sega console...a new Sega console...no, not going to fall for it!

Xun

This would be interesting if this is a new SEGA console, but can this market sustain a fourth console?

Could it be an actual retro console like the new Neo Geo X where you can d/l all their old games to it with an HDMI port, full 1080p, etc.?
The only thing I could see being feasible would be SEGA entering the phone/handheld market, but this will not happen.

It would make the most sense given their only competitor would be the 3DS.

Izick

Features:

-Always-offline
-Plays nothing but used games
-No social features
-Keep to yourself button instead of Start

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wait. What's the source of this? Cuz right now it looks fake as hell. If its just this random picture floating around then why are we even debating this?

Odrion

Banned
Hey, it could be YET ANOTHER Android console with a virtual console style storefront. That'd be cool enough to buy.

Izick

It would be such an awesome announcement, especially since nobody has heard anything until now. Too bad it's just going to be some arcade hardware or online platform.

Laranja

It would be such an awesome announcement, especially since nobody has heard anything until now. Too bad it's just going to be some arcade hardware or online platform.

I don't think it's going to be anything. I believe the image has been proven to be fake.

I would buy it. Damn, this is making me nostalgic for my Sega consoles. Truly glorious times.

Agreed. Man, I miss them.

Honestly, even if it was just a VC console but with the entire Sega home library available from the start (not this Nintendo trickle b.s.) with reasonable pricing, I'd buy it.

LOL this reminds me when a "friend" of mine told me Sega was going to make a new console (that was early PS2 games, when the Dreamcast was already discontinue).

Now that friend wasn't even half as informed as me so I knew he was lying, yet I got so excited and embraced the troll.

LOL Good/awful times.

androvsky

Yeah, until someone can find the Sega Spectrum mention in the Japanese trademark database, this is completely fake. It's certainly not in the US trademark database. What do people expect out of an unsourced image teasing a Sega announcement at E3 anyway?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This would be day zero for me if it was new hardware. Really miss the glory days of Sega with the awesome creativity they put into their games.

Xbudz

I'd be happy with a Sega centric service for PC and handheld.
or with new arcade hardware along-side Virtua Fighter 6 (+lifelike characters)

Then announce VF6 for PS4 and X∞

CrowGoblin

Neo Member
Loved the Sega Megadrive / Genesis system & controller especially, why all the complicated controllers of today? Sega please release a new console with a simple controller and let's remove those barriers we keep hearing about and just get back to playing games !

Seeing how they are releasing new games for other platforms, I have doubts.

This... if Sega was going to make a new console, they wouldn't have entered into a sonic exclusivity contract with Nintendo and have plans to release games elsewhere. They'd be hoarding those IPs for their console.

At best, this will be an x-box rebrand in Japan. The more I think about it, the more like it seems to me that Microsoft would tap a big name like Sega to try and push their consoles since the microsoft name sure isn't doing it.

Xbudz

If Sega Spectrum was subscription based arcade hardware, I would start saving money.
Imagine having one Sega machine that could download all of their latest arcade titles.

Pipe dream, yes.

I would also be OK with a Sega Android device..

Another Pipe dream, yes.

pikablu

I'll give them all my munnies if they announce a new console. Everyone else is so far off now from what gaming consoles could be, it would be great to see sega sticking to the basics.

Top Bottom