• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best Lord of the Rings movie?

JB1981

Fellowship easily. Trilogy got progressively worse with each entry. Return of the King let me down. The climactic battle just didn't deliver for me in the way I was expecting

Fellowship by a mile, mainly because it's the transitional film when Peter Jackson went from idiosyncratic oddball filmmaker to big-budget CGI-crazy Hollywood action director.

Fellowship features the best of both PJs.

(Yes, I'm very aware that all 3 were filmed together; however they were not post-produced, edited, or reshot together, and it shows in a number of ways.)

Servbot24

Banned
The Rohan plotline in Two Towers was the high point of the whole trilogy for me.

3_28-3-326-53_20021201143930.jpg

Damn good stuff, Sir.

Hmm, was probably the low point for me tbh. Just can't get into kings and soldiers and castles and battles and what not.

I'm mainly in for the creatures, journeying across different environments, mysticism, etc.

Fellowship by a mile, mainly because it's the transitional film when Peter Jackson went from idiosyncratic oddball filmmaker to big-budget CGI-crazy Hollywood action director.

Fellowship features the best of both PJs.

(Yes, I'm very aware that all 3 were filmed together; however they were not post-produced, edited, or reshot together, and it shows in a number of ways.)

There was shockingly little cgi in fotr. And alot of the effects techniques that were used was taken from alot of his previous works.

I'll throw in yet another vote for Fellowship! I adore that film so much, it's such a great fantasy adventure that really has everything. Great characters, fun laughs, epic fights, and some tragic moments.
Return of the King also has some of my favorite moments in the series that really shine with the superb score, such as the beacon scene or the Rohirrim charge at the Pelennor.

I've always wished that after the success of the trilogy we would get a lot more quality fantasy films. Especially since GoT has blown up so much! Like what gives? Give me good fantasy movies plz
Welp now I feel like I'm due for another LotR marathon!

My girlfriend and I just recently watched all three extended versions and while I think that the additions to Fellowship actually harm its pacing it was already so much better than the other two.

My girlfriend and I just recently watched all three extended versions and while I think that the additions to Fellowship actually harm its pacing it was already so much better than the other two.

The extended editions are great once. But theatrical for all subsequent rewatches is my approach

I love the Two Towers, I love the battle scenes with the Ents. Actually I watched it randomly the other night, you can kinda tell the CGI is starting to age abit, still amazing movies.

Without a doubt, Fellowship, extended edition. Two Towers is too listless and Return of the King has some shit that is just straight-up embarrassing (except for Gandalf's ride up the road to the White City, that was unforgettable).

wmlk

Fellowship. The feeling of romance is unlike anything since.

Opening at The Shire with Concerning Hobbits, and then going to Mordor with Breaking of the Fellowship. It's incredible.

wandering

Banned
I'll always have a soft spot for Return of the King because it's actually the first one I ever watched (I was pretty young when the films came out). I find Two Towers the most rewatchable just because that's how middle films are. But in the end I recognize that Fellowship really is the most well-made film.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I always feel like it's RotK, because it feels great when everything gets wrapped up.

But in isolation I reckon FotR.

TheJoRu

Fellowship Extended is the greatest movie ever, so I'll go with that. I loved it the first time I saw it, and I've loved it even more with every subsequent watch, finding the small details in the writing and performances that just sells it. There's a really earthly feel to it; such an amazing execution where the very human writing combined with the grounded direction (Jackson wanted it to have a realistic look and tone, which was a very wise move) really sold me on the world and all the characters. It's such a genuine, beautiful movie.

TheXbox

Without a doubt, Fellowship, extended edition. Two Towers is too listless and Return of the King has some shit that is just straight-up embarrassing (except for Gandalf's ride up the road to the White City, that was unforgettable).
Is there anything in the theatrical cut of ROTK that is outright embarrassing? Excepting some trash CGI, of course. I can only think of 'share the load' and Legolas v. Mûmakil.

-griffy-

Banned
Is there anything in the theatrical cut of ROTK that is outright embarrassing? Excepting some trash CGI, of course. I can only think of 'share the load' and Legolas v. Mûmakil.

The scene where Denethor gets knocked into the fire and jumps off the spire of Minas Tirith alight is kind of not great.

"Go home Sam!" followed by Sam actually turning around and starting to go home. Until he finds proof that Gollum is, in fact, treacherous...which Sam already knew anyway!

Oh and the horrendous green ghost "scrubbing bubbles" shots.

TheXbox

The scene where Denethor gets knocked into the fire and jumps off the spire of Minas Tirith alight is kind of not great.
That was a great image!

"So passes Denethor, Son of Ecthelion."

"Go home Sam!" followed by Sam actually turning around and starting to go home. Until he finds proof that Gollum is, in fact, treacherous...which Sam already knew anyway!
They needed to separate at some point. I wonder if the Sam's return would've worked if Jackson had cut the bit where Sam finds the lembas bread (and idiotically crushes it in his hands).

IDK, I think they all have their high points.
FOTR is the most consistent, but TTT had Andy Serkis and Helms Deep, and RotK had beacons, the Gondor siege, Pippin's song, and the cavalry charge.

If I had to pick one, I'd say FOTR, just because the Amon Hen battle was so emotionally intense.

Rival

Gold Member
My vote is definitely for fellowship but I've also never seen any of the extended editions...are they worth going back and watching? And how "extended" are they because those are already some pretty long flicks.

ec0ec0

why would you even need to create a thread to ask that? fellowship of the ring is that much better, that it's just obvious

Theatrical > Extended. Even for Fellowship.

I agree. Extended is something when it's a rainy day out and you want to just be lazy, but the theatrical versions are pretty solid pacing wise.

With that being said, my personal favorite is The Two Towers.

Helm's Deep and Gandalf's return, plus the monologue at the end from Sam are what I love most about the series. There's that sense of overcoming, the small portion of hope they all have before the more ominous tasks of Return of the King.

It just feels like such a range of emotions, starting with the Balrog and ending with Sam's speech.

They needed to separate at some point. I wonder if the Sam's return would've worked if Jackson had cut the bit where Sam finds the lembas bread (and idiotically crushes it in his hands).

They weren't separated in the book. It's a prime example of the screenwriters' bizarre need to frequently inject added drama into the story, even when it was nonsensical. This got increasingly worse as the trilogy progressed, and it rang false in nearly every instance.

Fellowship is easily the strongest movie in the trilogy, and not coincidentally it adheres most closely to the original text. (I'm no purist by any stretch, but most of the screenwriters' inventions were to the detriment of the story.)

Oh, speaking of which, how could I forget ROTK's out-of-left-field "Arwen is suddenly dying, her fate is now tied to the Ring!" nonsense, which the writers justified as a way to give Aragorn motivation...as if he didn't have it already!

I mean they are all excellent, but fellowship is my personal favoritie just because of the feeling of going on an adventure it exudes, especially with the entire fellowship togeather as they are seperated for the rest of the trilogy. And i just love the scenes in the shire

Xe4

Banned
IMO it's:
Best Overall Movie: Fellowship of the Ring
Best Extended Section: The Two Towers - Helms Deep.
Best Individual Scene: Return of the King - Charge on Pelennor Fields.

No contest its Fellowship. To break it down even further the first 45 minutes is the best of the whole series. No need to watch any more.

Apt101

Another vote for Fellowship extended. The theatrical cut itself is timeless. The extended just makes it even richer.

Top Bottom