• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is The Point Of Movie Novelizations? Who Buys Them?

sdijoseph

The Star Wars Episode III novelization is actually pretty good. The way it covers the Anakin/Obi-Wan/Dooku scene at the beginning really fleshes things out and makes it an infinitely better scene than the one in the movie itself.

Sometimes novelizations can actually elevate above the source movie material by adding background & depth to otherwise shallow characters.

Yeah came here to mention this, the Matthew Stover novelization is probably my favorite Star Wars book.

C4Lukins

I mean, logically, people who enjoyed the film and are hoping to get a bit more from it.
Or they just simply prefer books to film, and maybe they skip the film and read the book,

Not sure what is confusing about it.

It is situational. I watched the first season of Game of Thrones, then read the first three books. And have just watched the series after that. The TV version is my first experience with the series, so I am waiting for it to end, and then I will go back with the books 10 years from now when maybe the story is completed.

As others have said, these things are often not bad and can sometimes even make a bad movie good by providing background details and lost scenes which were cut from the films.

For example, I remember digging the Batman Forever novelization (both in paperback and on audiobook) when I was younger because what seems campy on film isn't as bad on paper. Also, there are whole chapters detailing how The Riddler was bullied as a child and developed his fetish for puzzles that make him a lot more interesting than the nutty Jim Carrey version on screen. Two-Face is also much better fleshed out.

latest

Any reason why? Should I actually read them?

Yes. I assume the Junior Novelization was written because the original book is totally inappropriate for kids.

The Alien novels, when they first came out, all included the scenes which were scripted but later cut from the films. The novelization of Alien 3 especially detailed how fucked the theatrical version of the film was. Also lots of bits trivia was found in them such as LV-426 being called Acheron. I can't remember if Alien has the pyramid scene in it before the derelict though.

Apt101

Hey, I have a few of those.

Have some of these bad boys too. Video game novelizations wooo!

Anyhoo, they're not always just beat for beat retellings. You can get some nice worldbuilding in there; the Pacific Rim novel had more detail about that world than the movie did.

(also, if you have parents who are a stickler about rated R movies, books are a good way to skirt the law)

Hah, I read that Simon's Quest novelization when I was a kid too.

Anyways, I don't read or get movie novelizations either. Especially novelizations of films that are themselves adaptations of an original work. I'm like whaaaaat.

BTA

My siblings and I got some from book fairs/Scholastic programs when we were kids, so I guess there's that audience.

Bleepey

I loved the Denny O neil novelisation of Knightfall as a kid. I own it but the internet has ruined my attention span. I wish there was a BVS novelisation. I would have loved a novelisation that explored the impact of Superman on the world. The prequel comics were cool though.

Top Bottom