• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what is the secret to not getting permanently banned from NeoGAF.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
You should never enter heated discussions against Gay Gaf or Atheist Gaf. If you are Republican be careful what you write also.

Also just be careful with meme's some will get you an instant ban.

If you're republican you shouldn't have to watch what you write unless you're one of the ones who believe in those bigoted views about gays and minority groups, in which case you should be doing a self evaluation instead of worrying about getting banned on here.

The only way to not get permbanned is to not go into controversial discussions. I've given up on it. Been banned 3 or 4 times so far. It's no use. Even if you're not straight out mods seem to go out and find a reason to bann you if your opinion is somehow not in line.

I don't want to come across as lacking empathy to your complaint given that we are probably attacking controversy from opposite sides of the fence. I get that having a dissenting opinion is more difficult than having one in line with popular opinion. But I don't always maintain an opinion sanctioned by the court of popular opinion. And even then, I don't find controversial threads to be unnavigable.

The only thing I can really say is that it's often not terribly difficult to ascertain what the consensus is in a thread. And if you're arguing against it, it's important to not be surprised when your unpopular opinion proves to be unpopular. That's not to say one should keep their unpopular observations to themselves, but I never understand it when people implode trying to argue against an entire forum. Sometimes, it's best just to recognize that you're at an impasse and move on.

If you're republican you shouldn't have to watch what you write unless you're one of the ones who believe in those bigoted views about gays and minority groups, in which case you should be doing a self evaluation instead of worrying about getting banned on here.

I believe the problem is some of the more extreme leftists automatically assume because you're conservative financially that you are against homosexuality, abortion, and government aide in times of need.

Protip: Some of us are not :)

Edit: TBH I have not been banned for this. Once because I posted something stupid after having a bad day and once for callling people entitled...I earned both.

Tex117

Banned
I believe the problem is some of the more extreme leftists automatically assume because you're conservative financially that you are against homosexuality, abortion, and government aide in times of need.

Protip: Some of us are not :)
Pretty much this. It is exhausting sometimes.

Terra

I like the attitude on GAF. A lot of freedom to express yourself and I feel that the majority on here share a good common sense about things.
It's worth very much to me, and makes this my favourite place on the net.

shuri

Banned
People are posting vile stuff about fat people (just browse Adele threads), and some pretty lame comments were made against French Canadians in the last french canadian thread (it was a bout a video of a drunk guy insulting anglophone people).

Nothing is ever done about this.

Why? We even have gaffers who were banned for 'making fun of the look of industry persons'; and racial or ethnic comments are looked down upon in the OT too.

Heck, People can get banned for posting 'religion of peace' in threads about islamic extremists doing terrible things, but why are threads about christians-related issues are bash fests? I'm not even a christian myself and it's pretty baffling to see this.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Never doing anything of note. Just commenting here and there, mostly lurking while at work.

I like the attitude on GAF. A lot of freedom to express yourself and I feel that the majority on here share a good common sense about things.
It's worth very much to me, and makes this my favourite place on the net.
a lot of freedom to express yourself? ok then...

one thing though, it did prepare me to not succumb to my Australian nature and just be open and honest.

there are certain keywords which just keep me out of threads now.

kaioshade

I agree with the trans gaf fear. If you don't agree with it or find it unnatural or whatever just leave the topic, you will be murdered.

No, you will be murdered for being an idiot. Not you specifically.

Voicing opinions are one thing. Spouting derogatory nonsense for no good reason will get you banned and/or "murdered"

Terra

a lot of freedom to express yourself? ok then...

Yeah, there is a lot of freedom to express yourself. Everyone of every kind is invited to the party, and that's what I like.
The party crashers and people being dicks in general (not respecting other peoples sexuality, race or so) their fair share of bannings and reprimands. That is good.

Voicing opinions are one thing. Spouting derogatory nonsense for no good reason will get you banned and/or "murdered"
have you been in any threads about islam or the middle east? its disgusting. so many ill informed comments about muslims as "barbarians" or calling saudi arabia a "backwards shithole" go unpunished. those have a lot more hate then people using the wrong word in a trans thread without meaning any real harm.

Mully

There are times where it looks like GAF bullies people for having a different opinion. There's a lot of fake outrage. Then the poster will say something more akin to what they're saying, but it's not good enough. More fake outrage. Finally the poster will choose three options: (1) Make it personal and get snarky with everyone. (2) Continue to argue in circles. (3) Give up and try to make GAF's opinion their own.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Ignorant, not idiot. Not everyone is in the sane environment as you, not everyone knows what will be offensive or derogatory. It's best to simply inform them rather than jump on them or calling then an idiot.

I lurked for a very long time and saw what other people did to get banned. I don't do that.

Also, I'm sure if I signed up like 3 years before I actually did, when I was younger and more immature, I would have said something stupid and got banned. It think just being mature will be good enough in most cases to keep your stay.

I think.

I've been banned a couple of times during my tenure here. Mostly 1 month bans but I did pick up a 3 month break for posting in that Epic Mickey thread without reading the OP. Funny now that I look back at it.

I do agree with a lot of posters here that they won't enter certain hot button threads. I always visualize those threads (from the outside looking in) as:

351683_o.gif

Apeopleman

IMO this forum is funny.

You can curse out anyone, any celebrity, any normal person, EXCEPT if they are a member on this forum. If they are, you will get banned.

Also, double standards. Someone was right in saying it's okay to shit on Christians and fat people, but anything else that's controversial will get you the ban hammer.

Ignorant, not idiot. Not everyone is in the sane environment as you, not everyone knows what will be offensive or derogatory. It's best to simply inform them rather than jump on them or calling then an idiot.

Well unfortunately a lot of jumping will ensure before there's actually any educating.

If someone says something that's obviously out of line out of pure ignorance, and not malice chances are it will be quoted a MILLION times by other members who will follow the quote with snarky and "witty" comments until eventually a mod comes in and finishes the job with his/her own witty commentary before pushing the ban button.

The culprit will most likely have a slim chance to try and explain him/herself but that rarely helps and only causes more trouble leading to the inevitable ban.

Members that say dumb shit just to say it and try to get under other people's skin obviously deserve the ban, but there are members out there who simply have never been educated about a certain situation because of the environment they live in and they get treated the very same as a person intentionally trying to stir up trouble or disrespect an entire culture or belief or what have you, because it's so hard to tell the difference between the the two.

Even more unfortunate, is that these same members that are ignorant of certain topics are unable to articulate their stance properly and when they have member, upon member, upon member hounding them to high hell, that's not going to make it any easier to try and think clearer.

Obviously this is a situation that falls under the "Don't partake in topics that you don't have knowledge in" category. But for those schmucks that actually do take the plunge anyway, there's never any room for them to be enlightened and say:

"Hey you know what guys you're absolutely right and I apologize for not thinking about this situation as broadly as I could have. Thank you for informing me."

Alternatively, there are members who are completely capable of defending themselves and their stance and have a perfectly logical reasoning for what they said and is in no way meant to be taken in offense to anyone or any culture, but was merely said to prove an obvious point.

http://64.91.233.250/forum/showthread.php?t=489016

This incredible topic will always remind me of how Knee-jerk, sycophantic, and just plain weird NeoGaf can be sometimes, to the point to where it overshadows rational thought.

Even mods themselves had to rethink and reevaluate whether they were justified in banning a certain member.

ToxicAdam

IMO this forum is funny.

You can curse out anyone, any celebrity, any normal person, EXCEPT if they are a member on this forum. If they are, you will get banned.

Also, double standards. Someone was right in saying it's okay to shit on Christians and fat people, but anything else that's controversial will get you the ban hammer.

Fuck you
r favorite celebrity. They are probably an
asshole.

FluxWaveZ

IMO this forum is funny.

Concerning fat people, this thread stands out as one where many got banned for hurtful remarks.

I do feel that most of what you're saying is accurate.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Say, what's this board's rule on adult games? Like say, a visual novel where it's all pretty safe save for the last days when you are aiming for good ending to see sex scenes? And the whole game would probably be even "safe" if those sex scenes are removed, with only subtle jokes hanging around.

Say, what's this board's rule on adult games? Like say, a visual novel where it's all pretty safe save for the last days when you are aiming for good ending to see sex scenes? And the whole game would probably be even "safe" if those sex scenes are removed, with only subtle jokes hanging around.

Ask icecream. :p

There was also a thread for Katawa Shoujo or whatever it was called.

TheExodu5

Banned

If unsure, PM a mod. I'd assume it's fine as long as you include a disclaimer.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
CHEEZMO™;47924037 said:
It better contain Kouya pics.
Kouya was my first pick when I tried the game actually... and holy shit gave me the best feels. Trying out the others didn't feel as satisfying as Kouya.

Row

Banned
it seems like you can get away with a lot more if you're on the side of the majority concerning a debate, kind of messed up but it is what it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom