• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
World of Final Fantasy. Finally beat Final Fantasy III (NES) recently too.

Hoping to maybe squeeze in Final Fantasy Explorers if I have time between platting WoFF and FFXV's release. I've had it since release but backlog.

Finished FFVI recently. I have now completed the series minus XI.

Also just played through DQI. I wanted to start DQII but apparently it is broken on ios and has been for months.

Just got to chapter 16 in Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth and I am enjoying it so far.

World of FF is sitting unopened. Probably won't have time to start it between finishing Digimon and Pokemon coming out soon. Only so much time for monster rpgs.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Bravely Second.

The best turn based JRPG ever??! Come at me. This games battle system is beyond anything else, and other games are copying it's fast foward mechanic, and I don't think it'll be long before we start seeing other games see it's chain battle bonuses, and adjustable encounter rate as a standard feature next.

You can fight me on the story or characters and win. They're not GOAT but they're interesting enough to keep you progressing. The real hook is the job/ability system.

Only Persona 3/4 has a combat system that can probably rival Bravely (pretty much each Persona is a different job/ability). But the list is short.

If you wrote off Bravely Second because you disliked the infamous time loop of the first game, COME BACK.

rahji

started Final Fantasy XIII-2 today and the first half hour is intense. I had to take a break from all the action and I really don't know what is going on.

Labadal

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth and Digital Devil Saga.

Got these in the mail, today.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

arigato

On the final boss in Parasite Eve 2 (frustrated, he's tough, died 3-4x now)
Also on the final boss in Dragon Quest V PS2 (difficulty seems higher versus the SNES version).
And the final boss in The Bouncer (geez he's tough).

Edit: just beat PE2, with the good ending!
What's your overall feelings on Dragon Quest V? I am very interested in getting the game.

Nephilim

Banned
Bravely Second.

The best turn based JRPG ever??! Come at me. This games battle system is beyond anything else, and other games are copying it's fast foward mechanic, and I don't think it'll be long before we start seeing other games see it's chain battle bonuses, and adjustable encounter rate as a standard feature next.

You can fight me on the story or characters and win. They're not GOAT but they're interesting enough to keep you progressing. The real hook is the job/ability system.

Only Persona 3/4 has a combat system that can probably rival Bravely (pretty much each Persona is a different job/ability). But the list is short.

If you wrote off Bravely Second because you disliked the infamous time loop of the first game, COME BACK.

never played the series so can you explain the fast forward mechanic? cause if its just some type of auto attack to make the battle go faster it definitely isnt the first. and what games are "copying" it?

pbayne

Started up Natural Doctrine. Cool battle system, looks really complicated at first but actually makes a lot of sense when you get into it. Heard it gets balls hard later on.

FC Bayern

Cold Steel 2.

Just right at the Epilogue boss and preparing for the second run for the plat on nightmare + remainder of the bonding trophies.

Cold Steel 1 and 2 are my GOTY this year, unless FFXV is 11/10 good (which I'm not optimistic about). They're essentially one game split, so they both get to count imo.

Quite easily the best "traditional setting" JRPG I've played in years. It's up there on Persona 3/4 level for me. At least just with the music.

rahji

4 hours in FF13-2. I like the new systems so far. just beat atlas and I have the feeling that this game has a lot replayability. I really like the function to fight alongside monsters. I can really see where this is going if you can use almost monster to fight at your side. So far I can say that I will play the hell out of this game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
never played the series so can you explain the fast forward mechanic? cause if its just some type of auto attack to make the battle go faster it definitely isnt the first. and what games are "copying" it?

It speeds up animations, simple as that. There's three speeds. You can also set three macros of commands if you want to "auto battle" and have a certain character use a certain action each time.

So its not an "everyone attack" command as it is just a speed hack. Holy smokes it makes a world of a difference you never realized in JRPGd how much time is spent just watching attack animations. The trailer in DQVIII shows the same feature, however there appears to be only one speed.

Sarek

Is my PS3 JRPG collection missing any good games? Currrently own:
Cold Steel 1+2
Nier
All FF13 games
Kingdom Hearts games
Valkyria Chronicles
Ni No Kuni
Folklore
Tales of Xillia 1 and 2
Tale of Graces F
Tales of Symphonia
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean: The Last Hope

TWILT

Banned
Been playing the fan translation of Valkyria Chronicles 3. So far, it's pretty excellent. The VC gameplay is as great and refined as ever and the characters seem pretty interesting so far. Really enjoy the various fun events here and there of the cast just interacting. Story seems interesting too and I love the OST. Heard it's a pretty long game though (I'm apparently 11~ hours, just started chapter 5 out of 20), sooo probably going to be stuck with it for a while lol.

Chrono Trigger. I'm playing it on pstv and enjoying it just as much as usual. I own DS and Wii VC versions but got this on sale bc it was $2. Looks really nice on my hdtv and far crisper color-wise than Wii VC imo. Load times don't bother me much and fast load option makes it a bit more tolerable than my PS1 disk iirc. Just reached End of Time and don't feel bored at all.

Had an amazing moment though because I found something new I hadn't seen in my previous 15 playthroughs. I put the controller down for a bit right after the trial and all of a sudden the guards took me to get executed in the room with the guillotines. And then Lucca just bust in and frees me. It was so weird having her along before the Mecha Dragon fight. Didn't make much difference but it amazed me to find a new scene in one of my favorite games.

Aters

Cold Steel 1+2
Nier
All FF13 games
Kingdom Hearts games
Valkyria Chronicles
Ni No Kuni
Folklore
Tales of Xillia 1 and 2
Tale of Graces F
Tales of Symphonia
Resonance of Fate

I think you're good to go. PS3 has an abysmal JRPG library. You might want to pick up Discaea 4 though, also Dragon's Crown.

Opa-Pa

I beat the main story in Yokai Watch 2 today and I'm having fun with the post game now, which is pretty impressive considering that after I finished the first game I just wanted to switch to another game.

I mean the first game wasn't BAD, it was good, but with a lot of unrealized potential. In 2 tho I genuinely didn't want the story to end because it was so funny and entertaining, so I guess it'll keep me busy until friday wheb Sun and Moon release.

Had an amazing moment though because I found something new I hadn't seen in my previous 15 playthroughs. I put the controller down for a bit right after the trial and all of a sudden the guards took me to get executed in the room with the guillotines. And then Lucca just bust in and frees me. It was so weird having her along before the Mecha Dragon fight. Didn't make much difference but it amazed me to find a new scene in one of my favorite games.

Wait, what's the alternative to this, then? I swear it's played out exactly like that in my three playthroughs.

Wait, what's the alternative to this, then? I swear it's played out exactly like that in my three playthroughs.

Alternative is normally I would go up to the bars and shake them, and then the guards open the door and Chrono knocks the guard out. I've always had to play through the dungeon bit solo, with Lucca only showing up the the last screen before you fight the mecha dragon. But this was different because she shows up in the small room after there is the npc you can free from the guillotine. Apparently the way you normally do is activated by waiting a minute or so in the cell, but had you kept shaking the bars of the cell you would have busted out early. Doesn't make too much difference overall, but it was neat to see a different variation of the dungeon events.

Zhao_Yun

Cold Steel 1+2
Nier
All FF13 games
Kingdom Hearts games
Valkyria Chronicles
Ni No Kuni
Folklore
Tales of Xillia 1 and 2
Tale of Graces F
Tales of Symphonia
Resonance of Fate

Eternal Sonata is worth a try imo.

Same thing I've been playing for the past 2 years, Persona 4 Golden.

I'm not putting much time into it, you could say I'm getting no where really. I want to beat it before Persona 5 comes out.

Cold Steel 1+2
Nier
All FF13 games
Kingdom Hearts games
Valkyria Chronicles
Ni No Kuni
Folklore
Tales of Xillia 1 and 2
Tale of Graces F
Tales of Symphonia
Resonance of Fate

You should check for some of the ps3 NISA games.

Some are pretty amazing, like Disgaea 4

Fou-Lu

Cold Steel 1+2
Nier
All FF13 games
Kingdom Hearts games
Valkyria Chronicles
Ni No Kuni
Folklore
Tales of Xillia 1 and 2
Tale of Graces F
Tales of Symphonia
Resonance of Fate

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
Eternal Sonata
Dragon's Crown
Disgaea 3 and 4
Drakengard 3 MAYBE
I've heard good things about Atelier despite being moe but never played them.

Some people don't count them but: Dragon's Dogma, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Still stuck in deciding what ta play mode. A month an a half is easily enough ta beat pretty much any 2 rpgs so I can take some more time thinking over things!

Should prolly try at least 1 Atelier game. Of the first 3 I'd say Totori was my fave. Theres like 6 or 7 of 'em now an the newer the game the more refined it'd prolly be.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I just bought Rogue Galaxy on PS4....it is an amazing game. Absolutely gorgeous for a PS2 game (and now in HD), shame it's not widescreen though. Really it feels almost like a Xenoblade-lite.

Also really likeable story and characters, it's a shame it's so underappreciated it seems. Every JRPG fan should try this game.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Still plugging away at LoH:TiTS. On the final chapter in Grancel Sewers. Can't wait to check out SC.

Dantero

Started replaying Dragon's Dogma but then I had the thought that I think I want to play a jrpg that doesn't feel as grounded in reality like this, cause FFXV will be, well, a fantasy based on reality and that's the next big one I'm looking forward to.
So what games would you say feel like you're really experiencing a world completely different to our own? Different color schemes, plantlife, animals etc..
Not even sure what would be good examples of this, maybe FFXIII at times.

jonno394

FInished FFX HD yesterday, glad I went back to it. FInal boss kicked my ass a few times and nearly gave up, buta couple days break and I was ready to end it.

Then I tried FF X-2 for an hour.......not liking teh gameplay/battle changes at all. No thanks, time to move on!

The fact there's only two weeks left before FF XV has me undecided whether to attempt another JRPG now or just wait. Tempted to buy Star Ocean 5 or Rogue Galaxy for PS4, but sure I won't finish either of them by the 29th. I may well have to play another genre of game instead.......sad times.

Dantero

FInished FFX HD yesterday, glad I went back to it. FInal boss kicked my ass a few times and nearly gave up, buta couple days break and I was ready to end it.

Then I tried FF X-2 for an hour.......not liking teh gameplay/battle changes at all. No thanks, time to move on!

The fact there's only two weeks left before FF XV has me undecided whether to attempt another JRPG now or just wait. Tempted to buy Star Ocean 5 or Rogue Galaxy for PS4, but sure I won't finish either of them by the 29th. I may well have to play another genre of game instead.......sad times.

Stopping X-2 because of the battle system? That's crazy. Every other reason I can understand, but the battle system is often praised as the best in the series. You should really give it another try if that's really what made you stop.

jonno394

Stopping X-2 because of the battle system? That's crazy. Every other reason I can understand, but the battle system is often praised as the best in the series. You should really give it another try if that's really what made you stop.

I gave it a couple of missions and It didn't click with me at all. Coming out of FFX I really liked the turn order and combat system. I can't be going back to ATB battle systems after not playing it for years, plus the fact spells and abilities don't actually happen when you choose them, there's a further power up period....nah

DQ7 for the 3DS, finishing the other endings of Nier, and SRW OG: The Moon Dwellers.

I've also been poking at SMT IV here and there. Most of these will take a back seat to Pokemon Moon this Friday though.

Dantero

I gave it a couple of missions and It didn't click with me at all. Coming out of FFX I really liked the turn order and combat system. I can't be going back to ATB battle systems after not playing it for years, plus the fact spells and abilities don't actually happen when you choose them, there's a further power up period....nah

That's a shame. It's a lot of fun later on. Almost as frenetic as FFXIII except without any of XIII's automation.

Vic_Viper

Been thinking about playing FFVIII a lot lately. It's another PS1 era JRPG I missed growing up. I owned it but never got past the introduction of the school, and now that it's on Steam I've been wanting to take another crack at it.

Is there a good guide anywhere I should follow to maximize the amount of fun to be had without the leveling getting frustrating. Everything I've heard about the game is great aside from how the monsters level up with you which sounds like a real pain in the ass lol.

Loaded up my save of an FF7 game I barely started on PS4 (still in midgar, just after the plate collapse). Up to the ship just after Junon, I wanna see how far in I get before FFXV.

CLBridges

About two hours into World of Final Fantasy, it's OK. Got it through Gamefly to play a bit before FFXV. So ready to dive into FFXV though, been a long time coming.

Just finished Nier after putting it off forever. None of the endings really satisfied me, but I did look up the Grimore Nier info and I loved the world building and characters in general so I'm pretty excited about the sequel.

I'm biding my time until FFXV like everyone else, so I'm finally gong to play Xenogears. the Xenosaga games are the only Xeno-verse games I've played, and they didn't age very well, but a lot of people say this is the best, so we'll see.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Thinking of continuing with Zestiria, I kind of just stopped? I think I'm in the "Go do all the sidequests, pleb" part of the game? Bout 32 hours in. Kind of wanna pick up The Last Remnant again, it's really fun on PC.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just finished Nier after putting it off forever. None of the endings really satisfied me, but I did look up the Grimore Nier info and I loved the world building and characters in general so I'm pretty excited about the sequel.

I'm biding my time until FFXV like everyone else, so I'm finally gong to play Xenogears. the Xenosaga games are the only Xeno-verse games I've played, and they didn't age very well, but a lot of people say this is the best, so we'll see.
T
Xenogears is a long ass game with ALOT of reading (not a bad thing) , I mean it's like 60 hours critical pathing. I hope you're playing it with some hacks or mods because the encounter rate is high and the combat gets super repetitive by the end of the game.

It has a really interesting story, it's worth your time for that alone. But yeah this game hasn't aged well in the gameplay, some speed hacks lot encounter rate hacks will really help through the slow parts.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Everything I've heard about the game is great aside from how the monsters level up with you which sounds like a real pain in the ass lol.

Pfft you'd never notice that monsters level up with you unless someone told you. If a monster is an easy kill at Lv 10, it's still an easy kill at Lv 80. I never noticed until someone mentioned it to me after beating the game.

It's a good game, the story is interesting, hit or miss... But at least it isn't a traditional JRPG story, it goes interesting places you may or may not enjoy.

Top Bottom