• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

TwoHearted

Neo Member
Was playing Infinite Undiscovery but around 13 hours in I've reached a point where a certain character turns against you and for some reason I can't get passed it.

So I put it down and started Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. I played it back in the day and while the first game was infinitely better, I still enjoyed it.

Also playing Wild Arms here and there, it's excellent.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Me too. Playing both, bouncing back and forth each day.
giphy.gif

Finished FF VII Rebirth last night.

Production values and "content" carried an otherwise mediocre experience made for people who base their entire personality around liking FF VII.

Eiyuden Chronicle next week.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Working my way through Japanese dungeon crawlers, right now playing Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk after finishing Labyrinth of Galleria, Dungeon Encounters and Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars.

Synless

I knocked out FFVII: Rebirth and Infinite Wealth recently.

Im currently working on Star Ocean Second R… which I’m not sure I’m into yet. I am giving it a good chance though. Beautiful looking at the very least.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Right now? Dragon's Dogma 2 if that counts. LAtest played was Xenoblade Chronicles 3 on the Switch. Granblue Fantasy Re:Link if that counts as well.

Started Persona 3 Reload few days ago.
My first time. I've never played on PS2.

Never played Persona 3 Reload but I remember Persona 3 FES being my first Persona and absolutely loving it

I'm waiting for a price drop for both Reload and the Story DLC (That's coming) than I will consider buying it

I hope you enjoy it, since you are in for a treat. Has my favorite villain in the whole franchise and my favorite Dungeon. Not only that but the best story in the franchise too

Last edited:

marcincz

Never played Persona 3 Reload but I remember Persona 3 FES being my first Persona and absolutely loving it

I'm waiting for a price drop for both Reload and the Story DLC (That's coming) than I will consider buying it

I hope you enjoy it, since you are in for a treat. Has my favorite villain in the whole franchise and my favorite Dungeon. Not only that but the best story in the franchise too
42h in, end of August.
It's ok, but not as good as P5 imo.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm playing Sea of Stars and I really like it so far. I don't consider it a god tier RPG, because it lacks some of the complexities and systems I enjoy in my RPGs. But it's the type of RPG that really hits the spot when you just want something relaxing and simplistic without being inundated with tutorial after tutorial, having a game saturated with meaningless and boring quests, and being overly grindy. It may not be the most delicious steak, but there's absolutely no fat in this game. It's all substance.

I'm playing Sea of Stars and I really like it so far. I don't consider it a god tier RPG, because it lacks some of the complexities and systems I enjoy in my RPGs. But it's the type of RPG that really hits the spot when you just want something relaxing and simplistic without being inundated with tutorial after tutorial, having a game saturated with meaningless and boring quests, and being overly grindy. It may not be the most delicious steak, but there's absolutely no fat in this game. It's all substance.

Love that game so much

I ended up 💯 Percenting everything and getting the True Ending

Also

Wheels

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Love that game so much

I ended up 💯 Percenting everything and getting the True Ending

Also

Wheels
I played the mini game for the first couple of towns and decided to drop it. I read you only get a trophy and an easter egg from it. If you'd get some ultimate weapon or something I'd have done it, but I found it interrupted the pacing of the game for me and decided to not do it. I'm enjoying the no distractions aspect I'm having with this game. Very few side quests and no interruptions. It's honestly refreshing since it seems most RPGs these days are 75% side quests and this game is like 2% side quests.

I played the mini game for the first couple of towns and decided to drop it. I read you only get a trophy and an easter egg from it. If you'd get some ultimate weapon or something I'd have done it, but I found it interrupted the pacing of the game for me and decided to not do it. I'm enjoying the no distractions aspect I'm having with this game. Very few side quests and no interruptions. It's honestly refreshing since it seems most RPGs these days are 75% side quests and this game is like 2% side quests.

What I like about the side quests in this game is they tend to be not as many but are memorable

What's your next JRPG after this one?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
What I like about the side quests in this game is they tend to be not as many but are memorable

What's your next JRPG after this one?
Eiyuden Chronicle. Suikoden series is an all time favorite of mine, I own every game in the series, so I can't wait. That said, I hate random battles so I'll see how I tolerate it. Though I heard you can cut down on encounters. Then after that possibly Chained Echos, I'm not sure. I ordered a physical copy of it that was supposed to ship weeks ago and they still haven't gotten around to shipping them yet, so if I don't get it by the time I'm done EC, then some games I'm considering are One Piece Odyssey, Super Mario RPG remake, finishing The Alliance Alive HD. Also maybe I'll just jump right into Elden Ring DLC, but I'm thinking about waiting until there are guides for all the side quests since I don't want to mess them up.

Eiyuden Chronicle. Suikoden series is an all time favorite of mine, I own every game in the series, so I can't wait. That said, I hate random battles so I'll see how I tolerate it. Though I heard you can cut down on encounters. Then after that possibly Chained Echos, I'm not sure. I ordered a physical copy of it that was supposed to ship weeks ago and they still haven't gotten around to shipping them yet, so if I don't get it by the time I'm done EC, then some games I'm considering are One Piece Odyssey, Super Mario RPG remake, finishing The Alliance Alive HD. Also maybe I'll just jump right into Elden Ring DLC, but I'm thinking about waiting until there are guides for all the side quests since I don't want to mess them up.

I'm a huge fan of Suikoden and have played Eiyuden Chronicles. I got all the characters and got the best ending. It's a fantastic successor to the Suikoden games. I do have issues with it, like bad localization etc. Also I love the fact that it doesn't hand out QOL freely. You will have to recruit optional characters that give those QOL. As for random battles, the encounter rate isn't too bad. But later on in the game I put a accessory on that reduced the random battles. Than I put in a character in the Attendant spot that also has an effect of reducing the encounter rate. Combining those two, I had no random battles the rest of the game.

As for Chained Echoes, wasn't my thing. I ended up not really enjoying that game

One Piece Odyssey looks great graphically but the gameplay and story were bland. It was hard for me to continue playing the game so I just dropped it. Not sure if I'm ever going back to it

Super Mario RPG Remake is a great game. That game took me around 10 to 15 hours to beat

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
but I'm thinking about waiting until there are guides for all the side quests since I don't want to mess them up.
I dont understand why would you want look at a guid on your first playthrough? In my opinion that would just spoil the fun for yourself.

I definitely want to play this game completely blind, the sense discovery what makes Elden Ring so fun.

I dont understand why would you want look at a guid on your first playthrough? In my opinion that would just spoil the fun for yourself.

I definitely want to play this game completely blind, the sense discovery what makes Elden Ring so fun.

Well for Eiyuden Chronicles it's necessary to get the best ending

And yes you have to recruit all the recruitable characters to get the best ending. Otherwise you get the bad ending

DragoonKain DragoonKain

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm a huge fan of Suikoden and have played Eiyuden Chronicles. I got all the characters and got the best ending. It's a fantastic successor to the Suikoden games. I do have issues with it, like bad localization etc. Also I love the fact that it doesn't hand out QOL freely. You will have to recruit optional characters that give those QOL. As for random battles, the encounter rate isn't too bad. But later on in the game I put a accessory on that reduced the random battles. Than I put in a character in the Attendant spot that also has an effect of reducing the encounter rate. Combining those two, I had no random battles the rest of the game.

As for Chained Echoes, wasn't my thing. I ended up not really enjoying that game

One Piece Odyssey looks great graphically but the gameplay and story were bland. It was hard for me to continue playing the game so I just dropped it. Not sure if I'm ever going back to it

Super Mario RPG Remake is a great game. That game took me around 10 to 15 hours to beat
I can't wait to play it. I also hope the Suikoden 1 and 2 remasters come out this year and they're good, but I'm not hopeful with how bad they butchered the MGS collection.

My friend who loves old school RPGs didn't like Chaines Echoes either. He said he just found it boring. It got such great reviews though I'll give it a shot and if not, I'll drop it. I was also worried about that with Lost Odyssey, which is why it's one of the bubble games I'm going to try this year, it's on the outside looking in. I may at some point go back and finish Xenoblade 2 or 3, but I don't know if I have enough time this summer to fit a game of those lengths in. Come September, I shift away from JRPGs because of my schedule and tend to focus on shorter simpler games like puzzle games, shooters, platformers. If I can squeeze in a 200 hour game sometime between now and September I may just go back to Xenoblade 2 or 3. Leaning toward 3 because in the time I spent with 2 I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Xeno 1.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

Because I only do one playthrough. I don't replay any games, that's one of my gaming rules. Once I'm done with them I'm done for good, unless a major DLC expansion comes out or a remake is released years later. And I'm also a completionist, so I try to 100% games as much as I can on my first and only run. And messing up side quests that screwed me out of important things on my first and only playthrough would drive me nuts with my completionist OCD, because there is zero chance I'm going back and playing the game again.

Missing out on the Brionac in Tales of Vesperia because I didn't examine a random thing in Rita's house in the first 5 hours of the game still drives me nuts to this day. Because it was the only thing I missed in then entire game that I spent like 170 hours on.

I can't wait to play it. I also hope the Suikoden 1 and 2 remasters come out this year and they're good, but I'm not hopeful with how bad they butchered the MGS collection.

I was surprised that Konami didn't release the HD Remasters of Suikoden 1/2 around the time Eiyuden Chronicles came out

It's funny too since before they announced the HD Remasters of both games, I just finished Suikoden 2 last year. And than a month later they announced a Remaster. It was the last Suikoden I played. The Fifth one is my favorite in that franchise

My friend who loves old school RPGs didn't like Chaines Echoes either. He said he just found it boring. It got such great reviews though I'll give it a shot and if not, I'll drop it.

I just found the game bland. I just didn't like the battle system. The visual style especially the backgrounds were a turnoff for me. The characters were ho-hum. I didn't like the plot either and I hated the twist because I saw that coming from a mile away. It felt like the game was getting all it praise due to the games story (Especially the twist) and how it's being different for difference sakes. It just felt unnatural to me. And that twist made me roll my eyes especially since I got this feeling that guy who made this game was purposefully trying to be as Anti JRPG to the point it got obnoxious. Like there was a whole pretentious aspect to the plot and characters of that game. I don't know. It's another reason why I love Sea of Stars. It's not ashamed of its JRPG inspirations and wears it on its sleeves

I was also worried about that with Lost Odyssey, which is why it's one of the bubble games I'm going to try this year, it's on the outside looking in.

I love Lost Odyssey. I did everything in that game. The battle system takes some getting used but once you get the hang of it, you will most likely love it

I may at some point go back and finish Xenoblade 2 or 3, but I don't know if I have enough time this summer to fit a game of those lengths in.

I love those games but yeah they are lengthy. So if you have time I reccomand them

Come September, I shift away from JRPGs because of my schedule and tend to focus on shorter simpler games like puzzle games, shooters, platformers. If I can squeeze in a 200 hour game sometime between now and September I may just go back to Xenoblade 2 or 3. Leaning toward 3 because in the time I spent with 2 I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Xeno 1.

That's understandable. If you don't have time for long games like the Xenoblade Chronicles games. I would say for Fall this year just play shorter games

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is still my favorite Xenoblade but that's due to the wackiness of the characters. Also is my favorite cast and has the best story I feel in the franchise. I understand why you aren't a fan. That game has lot of issues in the gameplay department

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was surprised that Konami didn't release the HD Remasters of Suikoden 1/2 around the time Eiyuden Chronicles came out

It's funny too since before they announced the HD Remasters of both games, I just finished Suikoden 2 last year. And than a month later they announced a Remaster. It was the last Suikoden I played. The Fifth one is my favorite in that franchise

I just found the game bland. I just didn't like the battle system. The visual style especially the backgrounds were a turnoff for me. The characters were ho-hum. I didn't like the plot either and I hated the twist because I saw that coming from a mile away. It felt like the game was getting all it praise due to the games story (Especially the twist) and how it's being different for difference sakes. It just felt unnatural to me. And that twist made me roll my eyes especially since I got this feeling that guy who made this game was purposefully trying to be as Anti JRPG to the point it got obnoxious. Like there was a whole pretentious aspect to the plot and characters of that game. I don't know. It's another reason why I love Sea of Stars. It's not ashamed of its JRPG inspirations and wears it on its sleeves

I love Lost Odyssey. I did everything in that game. The battle system takes some getting used but once you get the hang of it, you will most likely love it

I love those games but yeah they are lengthy. So if you have time I reccomand them

That's understandable. If you don't have time for long games like the Xenoblade Chronicles games. I would say for Fall this year just play shorter games

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is still my favorite Xenoblade but that's due to the wackiness of the characters. Also is my favorite cast and has the best story I feel in the franchise. I understand why you aren't a fan. That game has lot of issues in the gameplay department
Oops, I meant One Piece Odyssey not Lost Odyssey lol. Lost Odyssey is honestly one of my favorite RPGs of the last 20 years.

What did you like better between Xeno 2 and 3?

Oops, I meant One Piece Odyssey not Lost Odyssey lol. Lost Odyssey is honestly one of my favorite RPGs of the last 20 years.

What did you like better between Xeno 2 and 3?

I love both games

But I would have to say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for me is the better game

As I said I love the wackiness of the cast and the plot itself is fantastic. The cast itself is memorable. I remember everyone of them

I think the story and cast are fantastic too in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 but I felt the cast was toned down in development especially the sexy fanservice. That to me really irked me

But Xenoblade Chronicles 3 also has this fantastic twist I didn't see coming

And I'm not saying Xenoblade Chronicles 3 bombed but it sold less than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which I think is the best selling Xenoblade out of the bunch. XC3 didn't bomb though

Now Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed is fantastic. That's Story DLC and you must play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and 3 to play that

NanaMiku

I love both games

But I would have to say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for me is the better game

As I said I love the wackiness of the cast and the plot itself is fantastic. The cast itself is memorable. I remember everyone of them

I think the story and cast are fantastic too in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 but I felt the cast was toned down in development especially the sexy fanservice. That to me really irked me

But Xenoblade Chronicles 3 also has this fantastic twist I didn't see coming

And I'm not saying Xenoblade Chronicles 3 bombed but it sold less than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which I think is the best selling Xenoblade out of the bunch. XC3 didn't bomb though

Now Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed is fantastic. That's Story DLC and you must play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and 3 to play that
I think Xenoblade 2 has more happier tone, making it more memorable. Xenoblade 3 has really somber tone.

Top Bottom