• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Kind Of "Cthulhu Mythos" Game Would You Like To See?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
When I say Cthulhu Mythos, I mean something based off of Lovecraft's works and/or his proteges like Derleth.

I'm not talking about things like Bloodborne and that are inspired but a game that actually uses the Mythos as close to his work as possible.

I think a good example would be the official Call of Cthulhu game that was released a few years ago. Also games like Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth or Arkham Horror: Mother's Embrace.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

i still say that sinking city was the deadly premonition of last gen. weird, wonderful, & disturbing as hell...
I agree that was a good game. In fact it's probably one of the better Call it Cthulhu games.

I think it was also developed by Focus if I recall correctly.

NanaMiku

Haven't played any of the video games. But it would be nice if it's like the board game, investigating a mystery

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Hounds of Tindalos would be nice for a short game. Reach the very brink of the universe and try to escape them through the various ages as you try and get back to your own plain of existence... Round rooms and all.

Darkmakaimura

Hounds of Tindalos would be nice for a short game. Reach the very brink of the universe and try to escape them through the various ages as you try and get back to your own plain of existence... Round rooms and all.
I love the Hounds of Tindalos. Plus, there's a lot of lore there that can be used since you have the Lords of Tindalos as well as other beings from that dimension.

I think something based in the Dreamlands would be pretty cool too.

Bloodborne II
Well, that's a game inspired by Lovecraft but does not use anything from the Mythos. I mentioned in my post that I'm specifically talking about things that are part of the Cthulhu Mythos.

But I definitely won't argue with you that Bloodborne is one of the best lovecraftian type games and a sequel would be pretty cool. I still wish they would tie it into Demon's Souls but for licensing reason I guess they can't.

I love the Hounds of Tindalos. Plus, there's a lot of lore there that can be used since you have the Lords of Tindalos as well as other beings from that dimension.

Well, that's a game inspired by Lovecraft but does not use anything from the Mythos. I mentioned in my post that I'm specifically talking about things that are part of the Cthulhu Mythos.

But I definitely won't argue with you that Bloodborne is one of the best lovecraftian type games and a sequel would be pretty cool. I still wish they would tie it into Demon's Souls but for licensing reason I guess they can't.
I read what you said and in all honesty there are very few games that even use Lovecraftian as a inspiration let alone mythos. World of Warcraft has a lot of Cuthulu too with the Old Gods, but IDK if it's using the mythos. Grim Dawn main antagonists are also Cthulu inspired nightmares.

I really wish there was a game like Scorn but purely in a Lovecraftian/Cthulu world with mythos in VR, now that would be amazing.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

I read what you said and in all honesty there are very few games that even use Lovecraftian as a inspiration let alone mythos. World of Warcraft has a lot of Cuthulu too with the Old Gods, but IDK if it's using the mythos. Grim Dawn main antagonists are also Cthulu inspired nightmares.

I really wish there was a game like Scorn but purely in a Lovecraftian/Cthulu world with mythos in VR, now that would be amazing.
There's actually quite a few games that use his Mythos.

There's the official Call of Cthulhu game that's based off of Chaosium's tabletop role-playing game of the same name. Call Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth, Sinking City, The Shore, Magrunner, Call of Cthulhu Night of the Comet and quite a few more.

Focus has an exclusive deal with Chaosium to produce more games based off the Call of Cthulhu tabletop role-playing game. I'm hoping to see more of those.

Last edited:
There's actually quite a few games that use his Mythos.

There's the official Call of Cthulhu game that's based off of Chaosium's tabletop role-playing game of the same name. Call Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth, Sinking City, The Shore, Magrunner, Call of Cthulhu Night of the Comet and quite a few more.

Focus has an exclusive deal with Chaosium to produce more games based off the Call of Cthulhu tabletop role-playing game. I'm hoping to see more of those.
I really want a AAA publisher/Developer to make a Cthulu mythos type of game. Imagine, Naughty Dog or someone of that caliber making a dedicated Cthulu IP.

Issue with the games you listed is that they're made but eurojank indie companies and they play very poorly. I heard some of them were decent but meh.

Last edited:
ahc60-box-left.png

Just adapt this and all the expansions into an RPG.

KiteGr

The best Lovecraftian media are those who are not involved with his works beyond the concept.
See Bloodborne as an example. The unknown is what makes them good, and once you begin to adapt from something known, it looses it's meaning.
A Lovecraftian game:
  • Shouldn't involve any of the existing C'thulu mythos or make it obvious through style. Instead it should look like a perfectly normal game where the creepy factor worms in the further you go.
  • Also I'm against any obvious sanity bars or meters. The scariest part about loosing your mind is that you wouldn't know it. If they where to implement such a sanity mechanic, it should be invisible to the player, and a dreadful realisation that they might have already gone insane long after the fact.

Gojiira

There is no licensing issues, Sony owns the IP for both Demons Souls and Bloodborne. They probably wont cross over though just because of how different their respective lores are, as much as I would love it too.

As for Cthulhu mythos, the whole Dream Quest saga has a ton of potential for a game, but Id also like to see something like The Color out of Space, Im not sure how it would translate but a game kinda like The Sinking City with you investigating strange occurrences around town, maybe combine it with other mythos related events that obscure whats really going on in the town.

But I do agree with a previous post that Lovecraftian games work better without obvious ties to the mythos, its like the little Cthulhu statue, as soon as your character picks that up thats it, all mystery goes. Bloodborne works better than any other Lovecraftian game because of how eases in the Eldritch aspects, it never gets mentioned, you see weird things like statues but its only when you reach a particular point that things escalate and you finally get a glimpse. If they ever make a sequel I hope they go all out with Insight, new effects, new events etc even changing boss behaviour/visuals.

Ultra Donny

I really liked Dark corners of the earth, and is now looking forward to the new Alone in the dark. This game is my most anticipated game this year. Hopefully is the rumours true, that the main villain is Nyarlathotep. I'm currently running the campaign Masks of Nyarlatothep to the pen and paper Rpg Call of cthulhu so I'm invested in the character.

mdkirby

Just give frogwares a bigger budget, that’s all that’s needed. That said dredge was lovecraftian and was surprisingly great. As for setting, I’d quite like something a bit more modern, 90s maybe, something like in the mouth of madness could be great. But yeah frogwares. I’m still gobsmacked that after the release of Sherlock chapter one, the war began, during the war they managed to wrap up dlc, launch a kickstarter for a new Sherlock game, and then ship said game within a year, it was high quality and bug free…all whilst at war. If they can do that, what the fuck are other studios doing that’s taking so long, and then releasing as steaming piles of broken crap?

Darkmakaimura

I would like to see a Call of Cthulhu game where you play some kind of paranormal investigators like the X-Files. Actually that already exists and is called Delta Green. I think a video game based off of Delta Green pretty cool. It's just a shame that one of the founders of that game is a real piece of shit.

Darkmakaimura

Just give frogwares a bigger budget, that’s all that’s needed. That said dredge was lovecraftian and was surprisingly great. As for setting, I’d quite like something a bit more modern, 90s maybe, something like in the mouth of madness could be great. But yeah frogwares. I’m still gobsmacked that after the release of Sherlock chapter one, the war began, during the war they managed to wrap up dlc, launch a kickstarter for a new Sherlock game, and then ship said game within a year, it was high quality and bug free…all whilst at war. If they can do that, what the fuck are other studios doing that’s taking so long, and then releasing as steaming piles of broken crap?
I like Frogwares. It seems they have a real love of Lovecraft, slight pun intended. I think you're right about giving them a bigger budget because I would like to see what they could do with it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I actually enjoyed The Sinking City and would love to see a game like this but with more polish and higher budget. It was an ambitious game, too ambitious for the kind of budget that they had to work with, but there were a lot of things that worked for me about it. Most importantly it had a great atmosphere, some decent voice acting, and some of the quests were really interesting. I'd love to see an open world RPG like this where you'd play as a private dick, solving various cases that have a supernatural, Lovecraftian hook to them.

So yeah, if they could improve the combat, polish up the visuals, AI, character animation, and actually craft the open world map by hand instead of using an AI, I would love to play another Lovercraftian detective story framed as an open world RPG. Maybe even a direct sequel to The Sinking City, this time involving a bigger story set in a different location (then it would have to be called something else, I guess) but also featuring actual Old Ones on a proper epic scale.

-----

I also had this idea for a game based on At the Mountains of Madness for the longest time, which would basically be this first person survival horror game (but not a walking simulator) heavily inspired by John Carpenter movies - primarily The Thing but also his other Lovecraftian works such as In The Mouth of Madness - but based directly on Lovecraft's short story. The story would revolve around a new main character and his expedition that was sent after the first one from the story in order to find out what happened to them, and along the way you'd be finding clues and piecing the story together, while your team would be picked off one by one by the Elder Things (at first you wouldn't know what happened to them and only gradually discovering the threat), and later reappearing as possessed thralls out to kill you, kinda like the possessed people in Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. You'd have to fight both the Elder Things and possessed people, but also other creatures like the albino penguins or Shoggoth, and you'd ultimately end up delving into the ancient city and discovering its secrets.

Darkmakaimura

I actually enjoyed The Sinking City and would love to see a game like this but with more polish and higher budget. It was an ambitious game, too ambitious for the kind of budget that they had to work with, but there were a lot of things that worked for me about it. Most importantly it had a great atmosphere, some decent voice acting, and some of the quests were really interesting. I'd love to see an open world RPG like this where you'd play as a private dick, solving various cases that have a supernatural, Lovecraftian hook to them.

So yeah, if they could improve the combat, polish up the visuals, AI, character animation, and actually craft the open world map by hand instead of using an AI, I would love to play another Lovercraftian detective story framed as an open world RPG. Maybe even a direct sequel to The Sinking City, this time involving a bigger story set in a different location (then it would have to be called something else, I guess) but also featuring actual Old Ones on a proper epic scale.

-----

I also had this idea for a game based on At the Mountains of Madness for the longest time, which would basically be this first person survival horror game (but not a walking simulator) heavily inspired by John Carpenter movies - primarily The Thing but also his other Lovecraftian works such as In The Mouth of Madness - but based directly on Lovecraft's short story. The story would revolve around a new main character and his expedition that was sent after the first one from the story in order to find out what happened to them, and along the way you'd be finding clues and piecing the story together, while your team would be picked off one by one by the Elder Things (at first you wouldn't know what happened to them and only gradually discovering the threat), and later reappearing as possessed thralls out to kill you, kinda like the possessed people in Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. You'd have to fight both the Elder Things and possessed people, but also other creatures like the albino penguins or Shoggoth, and you'd ultimately end up delving into the ancient city and discovering its secrets.
Mountains of Madness is one of his best works. I would definitely like to see a walking simulator or survival horror game based on that. Plus, it's a good place to start getting into HP Lovecraft. In the story, the characters find out about the Mythos from the aliens writing.

You you have a good variety of beings in here as well such as the Elder Things, Shoggoths, albino giant penguins and then there's whatever that guy sees at the very end when he's on the plane leaving. Apparently it was so horrible it drove him temporarily insane.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Walking in saint denis and the swarm at night in rdr2 made me think this could be a perfect cthulhu horror game set in early 19th century .

The atmospheric was perfect . Athur going around solving murder n shit . Or murder shit .

Stratostar

A first person VR game in an underwater setting could be amazing if done right.
If any of you have seen the movie Underwater, imagine a game based on that story. After seeing that movie and playing Subnautica I would kill to experience something like that in VR.

If you have a headset check this shit out right now.

Lux R7

I would like to play a medieval (low fantasy) arpg that starts normal and then has a "cosmic horror" twist (BB style), maybe with the cult of shub niggurath or Yig's curse.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
They don't really work well in a visual media like videogames.

Sure, there are a few good games, but the nature of the mythos is mostly imaginative, un-visualizable and unthinkable. You give them a concrete form, you ruin them.

Top Bottom