• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What magazines do you read/subscribe to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VALIS

It's been a while since we had a magazine topic, and my magazine subscriptions have been skyrocketing lately. I used to read and subscribe to a lot of movie, music, comics and games magazines, but that stuff is so prevalent on the internet there's no need anymore. What do you read/subscribe to?

magazine.jpg

Adbusters Media Foundation is a not-for-profit, anti-consumerist organization founded in 1989 by Kalle Lasn and Bill Schmalz in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The foundation publishes Adbusters (ISSN 0847-9097), a 120,000-circulation, reader-supported activist magazine, devoted to numerous political and social causes, many of which are anti-consumerism in nature. Adbusters has also launched numerous international social marketing campaigns, including Buy Nothing Day and TV Turnoff Week.

51WS57VBS9L._AA280_.jpg

"For working scientists, especially in high-tech fields, there are only a few crucial nonjournal periodicals to pore over faithfully, and Scientific American is one of them--its timely and technical features on everything from paleoarchaeology to neural nets set it apart from popular science magazines like Discover. Scientific American emphasizes a wide variety of emerging technologies, giving scientists a chance to keep up in an increasingly specialized professional world. Innovative and controversial developments such as gene patenting and the latest from the unified field gurus are front and center in every issue. It's not all business, though--regular features like Michael Shermer's "Skeptic" column, enticing book reviews, brain-busting puzzles, and James Burke's intellectual-historical meanderings add browsability to this enduring magazine, in business reporting the frontiers of scientific exploration for more than 150 years." --Therese Littleton

51KCAYRQPKL._AA280_.jpg

Takes you inside the most riveting breakthroughs in psychology, neuroscience and related fields. Investigates, analyzes and reveals new thinking on Dreaming & Consciousness, Intelligence & Cognition, Imagination & Emotions, Depression & Mental Illness, Perception & Understanding.

51jgeNopqzL._AA280_.jpg

Quick, fun and educational? This magazine blurs the lines between a great education and great entertainment. Packed full with pages of tidbits, quirky facts and history, this delightfully eclectic new magazine teaches you what you should have learned in school - but didn't.

51zbPNqnBKL._AA280_.jpg

Science rules the headlines these days, with new developments each week in genetics, astrophysics, computers, and medicine, and Discover is a great way to get a broad spectrum of science news. Designed for the general reader, Discover translates and interprets many of the same stories professionals peruse in Scientific American. Accessible articles on genetically engineered food, what's living in your pillows, real robots in action, and what makes a Stradivarius sing add up to a truly delightful family science magazine. Each issue brings to light new and newsworthy topics to stimulate dinnertime and water-cooler conversations beyond the mundane, and Discover spices the mix with puzzles, Web links, book reviews, and experiments for amateur scientists.

51yuBeNP+SL._AA280_.jpg

This magazine chronicles the arts, environment, sciences and popular culture of the times. It is edited for modern, well-rounded individuals with diverse, general interests. Each subscription includes a membership to the Smithsonian Institution which provides special discounts at Smithsonian gift shops, world travel opportunities through Smithsonian study tours and information on all Smithsonian events in any area.

51KCSD7XSTL._AA280_.jpg

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC, the flagship magazine of the National Geographic Society, chronicles exploration and adventure, as well as changes that impact life on Earth. Editorial coverage encompasses people and places of the world, with an emphasis on human involvement in a changing universe. Major topics include culture, nature, geography, ecology, science and technology.

61PNM34SXYL._AA280_.jpg

A stylish magazine treating science as a natural part of culture: from art and design to travel and history, as well as covering some of the big ideas in science. This new bi-monthly magazine has already won awards in its home country of Australia, including Editor of the Year.

6174R9Z6ZVL._AA280_.jpg

News and research on strange phenomena and experiences, curiosities, prodigies and portents. Founded in 1973 to continue the work of Charles Fort, a skeptic of scientific explanations, observing that scientists argued according to their beliefs rather than rules of evidence and ignoring other data.

511NN2CBFBL._AA280_.jpg

Published continuously since 1948, FATE is the longest-running publication of its kind, supplying its loyal readership with a broad array of true accounts of the strange and unknown for nearly 60 years. From psychics and Spiritualists, archaeological hotspots and fringe science, to authoritative UFO and paranormal investigations, and readers' personal mystic experiences, FATE articles are factual, informative, and entertaining. FATE's unique mix serves the growing audience of people seeking both answers and entertainment.

51X6FPE36RL._AA280_.jpg

Strives to investigate and promote scientific methods, and disseminate information on science, magic, superstition, and skepticism and the history of these traditions. Also devoted to the history of revolutionary science and pseudoscience.

616M50HQCFL._AA280_.jpg

Serves the public and news media, providing access to facts regarding the scientific investigation of claims of the paranormal from a skeptical point-of-view, enabling readers to separate fact from myth in the flood of occultism and pseudoscientific theories presented in today's culture.

51JG5DNJ4TL._AA280_.jpg

Countering religious fundamentalists, the humanist scholars who write this controversial magazine promote secularism in the contemporary world.

51Vhv1C0IdL._AA280_.jpg

Science News is the award-winning weekly newsmagazine covering the most important research in all fields of science. Published since 1922, the magazine reaches about 1.2 million scientists and general readers. Keep up on the latest scientific discoveries in just minutes a week.

51Z6MXPTVKL._AA280_.jpg

Each issue includes four to five feature articles written by prominent scientists and engineers. These authors review research in all fields of science from archaeology to zoology. Scientifically-trained editors edit the articles which are accompanied by photographs or charts to clarify or emphasize points made in the text. The magazine includes a book review section, Scientists' Bookshelf, and several regular columns that cover topics in computing, engineering, public and professional issues and reflections on the history and practice of science. The Science Observer section gives the reader an insight into behind-the-scenes science, often discussing implications or angles that are not covered by mainstream science reporting. Each issue includes the work of noted cartoonists such as Sydney Harris, Benita Epstein, and Mark Heath.

51DRSDM9GGL._AA280_.jpg

In These Times magazine provides readers with investigative reporting, provocative essays, debates about our political future and news straight from the frontlines. In These Times reports on the upcoming legislative battles, current progressive political strategies and international news you need to know. This monthly news magazine is an indispensable alternative to the mainstream media for readers seeking an independent analysis of contemporary events and an in-depth look at issues that others ignore.

51jbkvNC4FL._AA280_.jpg

Mother Jones is a non-profit magazine that does investigative reporting. To borrow a concept from Hemingway, our editors and reporters have well-tuned "B.S. detectors." They share, with a lot of other people, a fundamental crankiness about bad decisions, hypocrisy, and out-and-out crimes committed by people in power. What's fun and different is that they get to do something about it. The result is a colorful magazine packed with reporting and context that helps make sense of the news. Plus hope, compassion, and heart. For more than 30 years, Mother Jones has never been afraid to ask the tough questions, or print what we find out. Mother Jones is independent. Nonprofit. Dedicated to the highest standards of accuracy and fairness. Obligated only to our readers. Over the years Mother Jones has won virtually every award available to magazines -- including four National Magazine Awards -- while it has ticked off business and government honchos like no other. We're proud of both distinctions.

51K7MTKNYPL._AA280_.jpg

A different read on life. Comprised of original essays and articles from 1,400 alternative media sources, Utne provides new perspectives on social change, environment, community, and creativity.

614GZRGP6EL._AA280_.jpg

By asking the hard question of the new science and the ancient traditions, of art and culture, of business & politics, What Is Enlightenment? has pioneered an innovative form of spiritual & philosophical journalism, presenting new visions for the world from those who are defining the leading edge.

51YJWMYQN6L._AA280_.jpg

The Buddhist Review is an internationally distributed, mainstream quarterly dedicated to exploring the full range of Buddhist activity and its impact on Western Life. The Buddhist Review, the first magaine intended to present Buddhist perspectives to a Western readership.

51DP8YTV2ZL._AA280_.jpg

Founded in 1976, Parabola is devoted to the exploration of the myths, symbols, rituals, and art of the world's religious and cultural traditions. Every issue explores one of the facets of human existence from the point of view of many world religions and spiritual traditions with essays and images.

tnw

Banned
ugh, jealousss.

getting a magazine subscription is so expensive. Buying the individual issues is even more expensive.

But I would really enjoy a Utne Reader subscription (Minneapolis! Represent!), as well as a New Yorker/New York Magazine and a Harpers subscription.

Those all look like awesome magazines.

Oh, and Croquis. That is an awesome Magazine.

Here's the cover from when SANAA, the firm I interned at for a few months, was featured:D :

middle_1107666499.jpg

I would never bother to subscribe to any Japanese magazines because I can just read them at the kombini (tachiyomi), but if I did, it would probably be:

Brutus Casa:

big-casa1.jpg

Pen:

Orange Page: A cooking magazine

t-16362-219.jpeg

nerbo

I subscribe to:

The Week

Wired

Reason

My three favorite magazines by far - though Wired has gotten rather repetitive lately I must say. There are many scientific magazines I'd like to subscribe to, but I have only so much time, so my money is better spend elsewhere.

Just post the damn text.

Scientific America, Discovery, Nintendo Power, EGM, National Geographic and maybe something else. I normally just read the issue in B&N, which takes 20 minutes max (unless it's the Economist).

Smithsonian, Edge, Wired, Game Developer, Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, EGM, GamesTM, Tennis, Game Informer, Cook's Illustrated, National Geographic, TIME and probably some more that I'm forgetting.

NekoFever

These are the ones that I read every month/fortnight. In any given month I'll probably buy 6 or so different mags, though.

Edge

edge_cover_176.jpg

Empire

5.jpg

Four Four Two

0,,11442~3074046,00.jpg

Private Eye

1185.jpg

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I have a free subscription to EGM, so I read that. My fiancee's roommate buys Wired all the time, so I frequently read that. And I just got a free subscription to that. I sometimes buy Seed which is a pretty interesting mag about science & culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom