• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What makes people hate video game terms?

"Ludonarrative dissonance" is actually a useful term for getting across a particular idea, though. The hate on it is so overblown. And honestly as games continue to increase in fidelity it's only going to become more jarring.

Do people have the same negative reaction to the "uncanny valley" term, or do they recognize it's usefulness is summarizing an idea in a short phrase?

joms5

There's one 2 terms that really drive me crazy and one of them has been getting toned down because people probably realize it makes them sound dumb when they say it due to its inaccuracy.

Metroidvania.

The worst term ever. By the time Castlevania had gotten around to using the "Metriod" formula it already had like what, 7 games out? Then it does some that follow that formula, and then they abandon it. So how in the hell does it get associated with the "Metroid" formula when it has released more games without it than those that use it.

NOTE: I refuse to actually use the term Metroidvania so every instance of "Metroid" (with the quotations should be read as Metroidvania.

The other term is:

GOAT

Lazy, hyperbolic and as a result, usually meaningless. I wish it was a bannable offense to use that word. Probably not related to gaming but I see it so much here it drives me crazy.

spliced

That's very much a personal thing. When I started learning more about what goes into making games, the sheer amount of attention to detail, all the moving parts that have to be juggled... even basics like how project managers can wrangle all those parts into a single, monolithic product, just seems like damn magic to me.

1. I agree it is a personal thing and I don't think people are always meaning ill will by some of these terms, they're being true to their own viewpoint and what they enjoy.

2. In general I don't believe having a greater knowledge about how things work and all that goes into making a game can match that same level magic or whatever you want to call it. Sure there are individual benefits that people ignorant to the process and details will miss out on, but overall I think less enjoyment is taken out of the overall experience.

4Tran

"Ludonarrative dissonance" is actually a useful term for getting across a particular idea, though. The hate on it is so overblown. And honestly as games continue to increase in fidelity it's only going to become more jarring.

Do people have the same negative reaction to the "uncanny valley" term, or do they recognize it's usefulness is summarizing an idea in a short phrase?
I can't speak for anyone else, and I don't mind video game terms in general, but I don't like "ludonarrative dissonance" because it's aesthetically displeasing and I think that it should be replaced with something more elegant. I don't have any issue with the idea it's trying to express.

GOAT

Lazy, hyperbolic and as a result, usually meaningless. I wish it was a bannable offense to use that word. Probably not related to gaming but I see it so much here it drives me crazy.
That term is almost always used sarcastically. I think that you're just taking it too seriously.

Soodanim

There's one 2 terms that really drive me crazy and one of them has been getting toned down because people probably realize it makes them sound dumb when they say it due to its inaccuracy.

Metroidvania.

The worst term ever. By the time Castlevania had gotten around to using the "Metriod" formula it already had like what, 7 games out? Then it does some that follow that formula, and then they abandon it. So how in the hell does it get associated with the "Metroid" formula when it has released more games without it than those that use it.

NOTE: I refuse to actually use the term Metroidvania so every instance of "Metroid" (with the quotations should be read as Metroidvania.
Symphony of the Night is that damn good.

QaaQer

Insecurity + Lack of self-awareness + Inability to question one's assumptions.

When others think or speak or see things differently, it causes an uncomfortable feeling. I'm guessing there is some evolutionary benefit to it, but it sure makes communication difficult when in a group who is not self aware. It's most extreme here in political threads.

A bigger impediment to communication imo, is the certainty with which people hold their views. Once a person has made up their mind about something, discussion becomes like pulling teeth. Intractable views on things like Climate change, Trump, best console company, final fantasy xiii being shit...it all flows from the same font of identity-illusion maintainace. Discussion causes discomfort and anger.

Edit--relating it to the op and the use of language:

Certain terms trigger the the above, "Luddite narrative dissonance" being a good example.

Edit2: It also rears its head when stories like 'video games decrease empathy in children' or 'chronic video gaming increases chances of dementia' come up, although we don't have specific terms for those things yet. When we do, I'm sure the same reaction will happen.

I can't speak for anyone else, and I don't mind video game terms in general, but I don't like "ludonarrative dissonance" because it's aesthetically displeasing and I think that it should be replaced with something more elegant. I don't have any issue with the idea it's trying to express.

Fair enough on that point, it does have pretty bad mouthfeel

Top Bottom