• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What on earth is going on with my Gears of War 4 update on Win 10?

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Just reposting what I said on reddit.

We did not release a patch today. We actually can't even release a patch this big. It's impossible.

We test all patches before they go out to the public to confirm the download size is within expectations. One user on the most recent insider build of Windows had the Store report an inaccurate download size while they were doing a clean download of a game. The store team is investigating and we are trying to reproduce on this insider build internally.

dsk1210

I know I am a broken record at times, but I really hate this store.

I love some of the games as in Forza Horizon 3 and Quantum Break but the store has been an absolute nightmare for me, I can't be bothered typing out all the problems I have had as I have tried to mentally block them out.

SURGEdude

Gears 4 ain't that better on the Xbox One. Every month there's like a 5GB+ update (I assume it's the new multiplayer maps) and it's mandatory even if I want to keep playing singleplayer (yeah, it's going slooow for me, the first act was beyond awful and it took me forever to be done with it).

The demand for it to download any patches before you're allowed to continue single-player is crazy.

LewieP

Just reposting what I said on reddit.

We did not release a patch today. We actually can't even release a patch this big. It's impossible.

We test all patches before they go out to the public to confirm the download size is within expectations. One user on the most recent insider build of Windows had the Store report an inaccurate download size while they were doing a clean download of a game. The store team is investigating and we are trying to reproduce on this insider build internally.
Hello I know the solution to this bug.

Release your game on a competent service.

I don't like the Windows Store either but are we really gonna ignore the fact that he's on a beta build of Windows and complaining about bugs?

I feel like the various posters who ardently defend MS and the shitty Windows 10 Store are really late in getting to this thread.

I actually feel kind of bad for the captive first-party studios that MS operates to make new entries in their 3 franchises. There's plenty of talented people at 343, Turn 10, and The Coalition who are forced to make Halo, Forza, and Gears forever unless they decide to quit and take their chances finding a job at a different studio.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
I've had a bug with the win10 store where it's keeps trying to update Minecraft Win 10 Edition and failing despite it not being installed and I've removed all traces of it but still it keeps trying and failing. Gone on for the past 2 months, it's even persisted over a clean install of Windows.

Welcome to the Windows 10 Store, I can't even download Killer Instinct, tried everything but it point blank refuses to download no matter what fix I try. Weird thing is that Forza Horizon and Gears work fine.

I'm hoping the creators update fixes it somehow, but I'm not holding my breath.

beeswax

This brings back horrible memories of release day and the first patch they released. I've never run an Insider build but I've always been on the latest major update version and that day one download, as well as the following patch were an exercise in frustration to say the least. Stalling downloads, failure to resume, 20MB patches requiring 80GB free space on my SSD. A complete joke.

One of the devs already mentioned they don't release patches this big, but I already assumed this was just Windows Store being Windows Store before that. I can't work out if they employed an ape to link the GUI to what's actually going on in the background or if the WinStore developers simply can't do simple maths. Either way, it looks like the download size/status/progress is still completely mis-reported by the front end. Way to go Microsoft.

This happens when the store decides to restart the download. Instead of resetting the progress bar, it just keeps on adding to the displayed size. Thankfully it deletes whatever it had already downloaded, so you're not going to get your disk filled with extra data.

This is not a new problem. It's been like this since the release of Gears 4 at least.

Kayant

Well hopefully the creators update fix things like this as it's supposed to address things like downloads and the like. Personally not seen this issue yet then again I have only download games and not update them 😀 😀 😀

Ah ofc it would be them to write something stupid like this instead of doing basic research or reading the thread!

Mubrik

Ok I've updated Win 10 restarted the update and it's at 1.25gb of 101.1Gb going SLOW
Halo Wars 2 has died with error code 0X80070005.

I give up, might take by box downstairs and plug it in to the rooter.

I'm astounded that you're still willing to try. Lol

Hari Seldon

There has to be some shady shit going down with the Win 10 store. Like there is no way they could be this completely incompetent with a download manager, a problem that was solved 20 years ago. Everytime someone says to fix your download manager reinstall windows my mind fills with so much fuck. Like my lightbulb burned out, time to bulldoze the house.

I had the exact same thing when I downloaded it the first time. Don't know how I finally solved it. But I spent the better part of two evenings on it. Downloaded hundreds of gb.

Gowans

I'm astounded that you're still willing to try. Lol

I had to wait a while.

So I said I'd give an update when it's all done, so here it is, I popped muPC on yesterday afternoon and left it overnight, Halo Wars 2 and Gears 4 are now all downloaded and happy.

Phew! :)

Top Bottom