• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What personal projects are you working on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowRoller

I'm trying to write a horror novel and so far I'm 150 pages into it, aiming for 300. Mostly been busy with university and all the groups i'm a part of.

Everything has been on hold while my son heals from his tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. Once he's healed, I'm going to build some cubbies for the house so everyone has a spot for their coats and stuff.

I've been outlining and writing short stories for my sci-fi setting. It explores the main characters and the setting itself

I've already finished my first one and almost done with my second short story. I'm already planning with few more stories to write.

I've yet to share my stories with anyone, though the problem is my lack of self-esteem and I'm not sure who to share them with.

I wrote a book during one of GAF's NaNoWriMo events and it was bought by a publisher. After it did all right, they then picked me up again to write the sequel. It's being serialized in a magazine first, and this month I got the cover and the new title logo (the name of which was actually suggested by another Gaffer). Now I just have to finish writing it. All very exciting.

tuPp66k.jpg

n3ViYuw.png

I am currently failing utterly at the GAF writing challenge I'm supposed to be running, though. Between having the baby 24-7, my part time work, and the book, I don't have much time or energy. I'm avoiding the thread like a little kid who's done something naughty... -_-

Killua

I'm still working on my first novel. Started in November. Depending on how it goes, I have 3 or 4 other books I'd like to write one day.

I'm also trying to finish a Rock/Metal/Punkish/ music album I started in 2011 but never got around to finishing.

After that I have a few music projects I'd like to finish and release into the world.

One of the biggest things I'm trying to learn this year is to finish what I start. I have so many different projects I left unfinished. Songs, stories, videos, animation. etc. Life is short, and when I'm gone, I hope my creations will still touch and impact people.
But if I never finish and release them into the world, when I'm gone they will be lost forever.

Dannymate

Neo Member
I've been working on a Tycoon game for PC. It is based on the computer industry. I would have your company create/design computer parts and computers and sell them within set markets around the world.

I would say I'm about 30% of the way through although at the moment I'm just trying to write down what I want the game to be so I can focus my programming efforts.

I'm trying to keep the scale as small as possible (I'm not doing very well) but there is certain things I would really like to include like selling component designs similar to how ARM works and having the player be able to sway format/port wars and such. So you could instead of using Blu-Ray on your PCs use HD-DVD (You'd need to be a pretty big company to be able influence that kind of thing though and it wouldn't be quite so simple), this would lead to you either losing lots of money or HD-DVD becoming the new standard over Blu-Ray. It would work for other things like USB and IEEE1394.

Sorry about all of that. I tried to keep it short.

Mascot

Finished a bunch of vintage letterpress lamps recently, currently turning a vintage petrol can into a lamp.

Wow. I just realised I have a lamp fixation.

vern

Trying to finish up my Crossing China travel videos and the book I've been writing about the journey... got kind of in a rut with writing and editing and uploading... but next episode is about done and just needs subtitles.

Episode 1
https://youtu.be/H_IYLBCe5Gg

Episode 2
https://youtu.be/2qoejOXxn7k

Not sure if the book should be mainly a photo book and keep the words on the blog/website or what... not expecting to sell anything anyway, but trying to figure out what's the best way to preserve and share my journey. It's tough! But rewarding too!

I'm starting a new job... in a new career... tomorrow.

It's the pay off of doing four years at university.
I'm also learning the tunes to play bagpipes at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo this year.
By the end of this year I also hope to have saved enough to pay a deposit on a house mortgage.

Also, I've been seeing this girl for about 3 months now... after being single for nearly 15 years, I'm doing my best not to fuck it all up.

This is turning into a hell of a year for me.

I've been outlining and writing short stories for my sci-fi setting. It explores the main characters and the setting itself

I've already finished my first one and almost done with my second short story. I'm already planning with few more stories to write.

I've yet to share my stories with anyone, though the problem is my lack of self-esteem and I'm not sure who to share them with.

It is hard, but this is so essential if you want to present your work to other people. If you need a bit of a safe space, send it to family first, then to friends, and then look to someone professional, etc. Just do it.

Getting my stupidly large dvd/blu-ray collection onto Plex, so I can put it all in storage and have some space. It's painstaking, but worth doing. Professional wise, learning Powershell and putting it to good use.

Also raising a 10 month old, if that counts.

gaiages

Banned
Right now I'm working on making writing a regular part of my life again, because I enjoy doing that. I have a freelance thing I do, but right now I am idly writing in my years old blog and thinking of starting a another writing project.

I was working on my diet, but I'm on hold for some of that until after some doctor's appointments, as I might need to go to a dietician anyway. But, I've been cutting out things like excessive caffeine and candy bars and stuff, so there's that. My goal is to eventually go Paleo, on that front.

Hyun Sai

Managing an association trying to save and promote the historical patrimony of my region. I'm in it for a VERY long time (until my death) lol.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I just finished building a wall-hanging cabinet for my tools. It turned out a lot better than I expected.

Next on my list is a book case for books, movies, and games.

- Wanting to lose 8 pounds. I'm in very good shape, just want to get in great shape. :) I was basically in my worst shape of my life last summer by being 23 pounds over my weight limit, and I fat shamed myself post vacation to get back into shape. Got me to get on it and should achieve my goal in 2-3 months imo even though I'm still pretty happy where I'm at atm. Diet, 2-3 times at the gym, 2-4 times jogging via C25K per week gets you results folks, just stick to it. :) My job means I'm sitting on a chair all day and do that when I get home to work on personal projects, so I have work a bit on staying in shape.

- My two best friends are programmers and I'm a designer, and we finally started working together on making apps very late last year. We're finishing up a simple app now just to get used to every thing and prep up for future apps. Right now, we're just making an app with history tab as a focal point for people who want to keep their old formulas. It's simple, and gets us used to each other, I finally got to start using GitLab. We have two consumer and two business-based app concepts that we will be working on for the future. This current simple app will be released by the end of month/ first week or March at the latest. And we have two apps (one is small scale but useful) that need to be done by September. Overall goal is to bounce 3-4 apps a year and put ourselves in a position where one of them might blow up enough to successfully keep us self-employed, but we'll seen how that'll pan out.

- While UI/UX Design is a goal, one of my two dreams is to be a concept designer. I have given myself 5-7 years to get to the level I want to based on how I've improved the last few years and where I'm currently at. Maybe that's an arrogant outlook, who knows but that's what I believe atm. :\ I need to draw and learn more though, at a faster rate then I have the last few years. Could be getting into 3D soon, though I much prefer focusing on characters than settings for a career focus. This kinda leads me to..

- So I upload 1 youtube speed painting and release it on the first of every month, 3-4 minute video on a topic I feel like doing every month. Got me to learn (the basics of anyways) of Premiere, Audition & After Effects a few years back to be able to do this. This is just something that gets me to do one big piece per month, I've started this month's piece which is Horizon for example. I've posted links to some of the videos in some of the topics on gaf before actually. So this is about consistency, and I've only one video on the second of a month a while back when I wasn't happy about that piece (I did LittleBigPlanet then lol)
https://www.youtube.com/user/practiceyourart

- Last one will be vague and not particular give anything away. Basically if one of my dreams is to be a great concept designer in the future which is really fucking hard, this next dream curbstomps that one in terms of difficulty in terms of achieving it. I've given myself after some progress (...) at 5% chance of actually achieving this dream. I've told about 12-15 people in the last 4 1/2 years on what it actually is, because I feel it's only worth talking about if I achieve this one. It's also unsurprisingly in the creative field, but yeah.. I love working on it, and I can't stop despite knowing the incredibly low chance of achieving it. -_-

So yeah.. I've basically had little social life recently and will likely follow suit in the next few years especially. I have to time and choose my spots unfortunately, but I have to if I have a chance in hell in achieving any goals or dreams of mine. I don't know if I will as a certainty since nothing in life is guaranteed other than death, but I'm going to do my best to put myself in a position to succeed. As to whether I will, who the fuck knows. :eek:

gatling

I'm doing a bunch of Illustrations of a few books Im reading at the moment for fun. The Inheritance Trilogy. I'm also trying to learn some various game/anime songs on harmonica.

Mr. Sam

1. Getting into shape for a half marathon: I've got the distance down, now I'm just working on pace with nineteen days to go.
  2. Vegetarian diet: to go hand in hand with number one - 52 days without meat so far.
  3. Starting a podcast with a couple of my buddies: just need to buy a couple microphones and we're set.

Mascot

This is an unusual one. Any pics of your work?

Here's some I recently made as Xmas presents. They were a bit rushed for the day (I was wiring them up at midnight Xmas eve) so the cables have been changed since for braided silk, and dimmers fitted to control intensity and to dull the huuuge Edison bulbs right down so that the filaments are easier to appreciate in dark rooms.

20161225_125848_zpsiwob74wa.jpg

20161225_130158_zps4zn4vke6.jpg

JMizzlin

Cool thread!

I'm starting to make video content for a YouTube channel (for fun and hopefully reputation), conceptualizing a video game and attempting to lay the ground work for a collaborative musical.

Every week my focus changes but I'm making decent progress. Still a few years off each being successful/complete.

Mr. Sam

Here's some I recently made as Xmas presents. They were a bit rushed for the day (I was wiring them up at midnight Xmas eve) so the cables have been changed since for braided silk, and dimmers fitted to control intensity and to dull the huuuge Edison bulbs right down so that the filaments are easier to appreciate in dark rooms.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk45/massscot/20161225_125848_zpsiwob74wa.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk45/massscot/20161225_130158_zps4zn4vke6.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

Those are some [I]coool[/I] lamps.

Badass. I really like them. Tell me you're making bank on Etsy or something with skills like this.

Painting miniatures from the Zombicide board game +all expansions. It's around 500ish and is taking around a year. I'm well past the half way point.

VIPs
38BAF76C-389F-4EF8-B2FF-C8966ED1A870.png

Survivors
E3D40FD0-CC02-4B1E-960A-812B93B4DF89.jpg

Zombivors
704A0BB5-E7B3-4A2A-BD08-6F5360ABC9DA.jpg

Shot of some of my finished Zombies and storage
1425B6D3-E0E4-4829-BFE1-C5BE5E489FF1.jpg

Mascot

Those are some coool lamps.

Thank you. They're good fun to make, kind of like 3D jigsaw puzzles from pieces that were never meant to fit together. The individual letterpress blocks are bloody expensive though, like most vintage stuff these days.

Badass. I really like them. Tell me you're making bank on Etsy or something with skills like this.

Ha ha..! No, they are strictly for friends and family. Each takes a couple of days to make and the parts are so expensive I'd never get back what I put in, unless they sold for say £250 each. Who the hell would pay that though?

These are lit! You should be selling them on amazon or other websites where you can make some money out of it. Awesome job.

LosDaddie

Banned
Last year, I spent half of it studying (and passing!) my PE exam. That was my personal/financial project of the year.

So this year, right now, I'm focusing on losing the 20lbs or so I gained while studying and just not really caring what my diet was & didn't have time to exercise like I'm used to. Now I want to cut down on the Dad Bod before beach season hits Central FL (best state 🇺🇸) and I get the family annual passes to Aquatica.

Other goals for the year are easy. For work, I need to get better with Revit/BIM so that I'm even more marketable (if I decide to change jobs). For personal goals, I just want to crush my comic reading....my omnibus collection keeps piling up. I also want to get through GTA V and Uncharted 4 in the next few months.

Pau

Working on a web application. Still processing data but I'm pretty excited! Gotta learn how to do back end development.

sunofsam

Weight Loss - started with an official tally of 299 (saw it hit 300+ over holidays) on Jan 4th - currently at 268. m, 40, 5'11.

been doing keto - walking on treadmill for 40 mins every couple days - nothing too streneous; but am looking to amp it up here in the near future.

UncleMeat

I decided last night I was going to learn the Golden Girls theme on piano. I kinda suck on keys but it sounds pretty easy so I don't think it will be too difficult of a task. I just know it's going to come in handy some day...

Helped my dad finish off his 52' split window Volkswagen. Technically it's his project since it's his car but he's leaving it to me so.

Also considering building a mid 70's Harley if I can find an engine for a decent price.

Writing a fictional novel, about 30K words in. Taking it slow due to my day job as a marketing copywriter. Lots of writing.

Planning a wedding for this fall.

Buying a house as soon as possible.

Those are the major projects taking my time.

We are in the initial stages of gardening. Have the seeds and the two boxes put together and outside, now need to get dirt. Two 4x8 raised beds to do square foot gardening. In Houston so our weather is great for this and the ground is completely flat. Also planted a tangerine tree in the years a couple weeks ago. 64 sq ft of garden is a great start and we have room for at least two more beds without impacting our back yard really at all. Going to hit all the major categories including some bigger ones like melons. Should be fun, I love spreadsheet driven hobbies.

Beyond that, we got bikes (moved to the burbs last summer, great trails) but the weather has been really rainy so we're having fun with that.

Two kids, 5.5 and 1.5, and two very demanding careers makes for not a lot of hobby time.

neobiz

Weight Loss - started with an official tally of 299 (saw it hit 300+ over holidays) on Jan 4th - currently at 268. m, 40, 5'11.

been doing keto - walking on treadmill for 40 mins every couple days - nothing too streneous; but am looking to amp it up here in the near future.

Keep it up! I'm 5' 10", m, 40 and ran it up to about 270-275 before every joint in my body was screaming. 2 years later and I'm still working on it but I'm down to about 210. Feels good bruh, you can do it too.

UND3RxOATH

Neo Member
Repairing my two jet skis I purchased last August. Bought them for $500 total and have one up and running and getting close to having the other ski working. Fuel systems suck sometimes.

Qasiel

Collecting and painting a Warhammer 40K army. Started around this time last year and have been slowly getting round to having the miniatures I want.

Also been brushing up on my Web Development skills as I want to change jobs to something I consider my dream career. It's been hard work so far, but I'll be happy once I'm in a place I feel comfortable at. I consider it a project of self-improvement.

There are very cool man, well done.

Well, I've been collecting materials to build a workout area in my garage. Recently, my squat rack/cage arrived, and it was a pretty good deal. Come spring, my family and I are doing a yard sale/donation/dumpster (in that order) to purge all the needless stuff from our attic and garage.

My goal is to eliminate two racks of shelving to make space for the cage. It's also to save money on the gym membership. Easier to lift at home.

I've also been making some upgrades to my little office/cave. Better quality artwork, backing up my older game library. Something I recently thought about is putting some of my collectibles in frames and hanging them. Like, a boxed SMB 3, the Nintendo Power issue, and the NP Strategy Guide for it. Something along those lines anyway, but that's a distant second to the workout space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom