• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What spring TV shows will you be watching? - 2016 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

Couple reviews of Baskets.

Zach Galifianakis sneaks beauty into the cringe-comedy Baskets (AV Club)
By the time episodes four and five roll around—both written by playwright and MacArthur genius grantee Samuel D. Hunter—Baskets hits its stride in earnest, gracefully balancing absurdity and despair, hostility and humanity, pratfalls and pathos. It exists in a place where laughs get stuck in a muttered “there but for the grace of God go I.” Like one of the show’s memorable images, it’s a rollerblader coasting down a busy street, sure of where it’s going but not above a few stumbles along the way. As with all things bitter, it’s an acquired taste, but worth the time it takes to get there.

FX’s “Baskets” Finds Zach Galifianakis in Fine Form (RogerEbert.com)
“Baskets” may not be an instant must-see, but considering how much I grew to care about the characters after only a few episodes, the show could prove to be a slam dunk for Galifianakis & Co. by its inaugural season’s finale.

berzeli

Banned
Nobody so far.

I'll go for it if nobody wants to.

Well, I was thinking of doing it (provided I got time, should be all right I think). I did make a thread for the trailer because, this is the most hyped I've been about anything since The Honourable Woman (which, granted, wasn't that long ago).
edit: Oh, you edited. Sneaky.

TheOddOne

Well, I was thinking of doing it (provided I got time, should be all right I think). I did make a thread for the trailer because, this is the most hyped I've been about anything since The Honourable Woman (which, granted, wasn't that long ago).
edit: Oh, you edited. Sneaky.
:D

I'm the worst. It is known.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Old:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Modern Family
Bob's Burgers
Almost Royal
The Flash
Marvel's Agent Carter
Arrow
The 100
Portlandia
Children's Hospital
Black Sails
The Walking Dead
Better Call Saul
Broad City
Vikings
Girls
Togetherness
House of Cards
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Nashville
The Americans
Daredevil
Banshee
Catastrophe
Fear the Walking Dead
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Game of Thrones
Veep
Silicon Valley
Turn: Washington's Spies
Archer
Bloodline
Orphan Black
Outlander

New:

Angie Tribeca
Legends of Tomorrow
Baskets
London Spy
Outsiders
American Crime Story: The People Vs. O.J. Simpson
Animals
Vinyl
Love
Fuller House
Hap and Leonard
Underground
The Path
The Girlfriend Experience
Ken Burns presents Jackie Robinson
The Last Panthers
The Night Manager
Marseille
Outcast

On my radar:

Gentlemen & Gangsters
Beowulf: Return to the Shieldlands
War and Peace
The Shannara Chronicles
Mercy Street
Dark Net
The Magicians
You, Me and the Apocalypse
Prey
Of Kings & Prophets
Flaked
Rebellion

TheOddOne

- Trailer for Netflix's Flaked.

flaked-poster-600x889.jpg

berzeli

Banned
The Night Manager airs next Sunday at 9pm on BBC One, releases the following day in a lot of countries. For some reason the US release is April. OT will be up before Sunday.
You enjoy female led Nordic Noirs, right? Well we've got another one for you coming out of Sweden. Springfloden (Spring Tide) is set to première March 6th, brutal murder happens->ten years later police students are assigned to take a closer look->oh look intrigue which inevitably include someone's close family/friend.
And of course Swedish public broadcaster announces three (by Swedish standards, a fucking lot) series to première this spring after I got done talking to Ratsky. (no more noirs though)
I've never seen any Cameron Crowe movies, which Cameron Crowe movies would you recommend from Cameron Crowe?
Oh, and I forgot to answer you. I was going to continue with the Cameron Crowe, Cameron Crowe, Cameron Crowe gag. But I can't be bothered.
Almost Famous. Just watch Almost Famous, all his other work pales in comparison.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
And of course Swedish public broadcaster announces three (by Swedish standards, a fucking lot) series to première this spring after I got done talking to Ratsky. (no more noirs though)

Any of 'em sound interesting?

Oh, and I forgot to answer you. I was going to continue with the Cameron Crowe, Cameron Crowe, Cameron Crowe gag. But I can't be bothered.
Almost Famous. Just watch Almost Famous, all his other work pales in comparison.

Thanks, will do!

berzeli

Banned
Any of 'em sound interesting?

30 Degrees in February season 2 - totally missed that this was a thing that was happening.
The show is essentially about swedes in Thailand and their life there, the second season is really well received. So I feel kind of bad for overlooking it. It has aired in the UK (on Sky Arts) and is available on English friendly DVD.

Spring Tide - described it above, looks to be a bog standard "Nordic Noir" type affair, tbh the most interesting thing about it is that it's 10x45min episodes rather than 10x60min.

The Most Forbidden (or maybe That Most Forbidden, not entirely sure which is more accurate) - I saved the one you would be most interested in for last; it's about sex. No really it is, well technically it's based on the life and autobiography of Kerstin Thorvall. But she wrote frankly about female sexuality and revolted against the rigidity of society.

Pachimari

30 Degrees in February season 2 - totally missed that this was a thing that was happening.
The show is essentially about swedes in Thailand and their life there, the second season is really well received. So I feel kind of bad for overlooking it. It has aired in the UK (on Sky Arts) and is available on English friendly DVD.

Spring Tide - described it above, looks to be a bog standard "Nordic Noir" type affair, tbh the most interesting thing about it is that it's 10x45min episodes rather than 10x60min.

The Most Forbidden (or maybe That Most Forbidden, not entirely sure which is more accurate) - I saved the one you would be most interested in for last; it's about sex. No really it is, well technically it's based on the life and autobiography of Kerstin Thorvall. But she wrote frankly about female sexuality and revolted against the rigidity of society.
I'm interested in these as well? They're Swedish right? Please let us know when they premiere.

Are you watching Black Widows? There's actors from all of Scandinavia in it.

berzeli

Banned
I'm interested in these as well? They're Swedish right? Please let us know when they premiere.

Are you watching Black Widows? There's actors from all of Scandinavia in it.

Yup, Swedish. 30 degrees season is already out, Spring Tide starts March 6th, and The Most Forbidden easter.

I watched about 10 minutes of it, it's just not very good.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Thanks for the info. The Most Forbidden does sound the most interesting (you know me so well! :p) but I have no hope that it will ever come to the US. :(

berzeli

Banned
Thanks for the info. The Most Forbidden does sound the most interesting (you know me so well! :p) but I have no hope that it will ever come to the US. :(

It most likely won't. Or well that depends if SundanceTV are going to expand on their "foreign" acquisitions, I think they are the only ones who would pick it up.

What are the Swedish titles for these anyway?

30 grader i februari
Springfloden
Det mest förbjudna

L1NETT

You enjoy female led Nordic Noirs, right? Well we've got another one for you coming out of Sweden. Springfloden (Spring Tide) is set to première March 6th, brutal murder happens->ten years later police students are assigned to take a closer look->oh look intrigue which inevitably include someone's close family/friend.

Awesome, will keep an eye out. Hope they come to Walter Presents.

Speaking of Noir's, my new fav started last weekend

Trapped

9d066ce04d7fb1a009f2d8fe1da7d25b.jpg

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsSNjrscwpI

Most expensive Icelandic show ever, right good. Sorta like Fortitude but not written by a pissed X-Files fan. Claustrophobic, tense and chilly as fuck. Anyone played The Long Dark? Makes me feel cold like that does.

Directed by an Icelandic guy who has made a bunch of crappy Mark Whalberg action films but seems he's also made summat called 101 Reykjavík which seems better received, so I'll track down a copy and watch that at some point.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
There's only, like, two other people on the board who watch the Mindy Project, but season 4.5 is finally coming out on April 12th.

Kthulhu

I am hyped for House of Cards, goodbye free time.

When the fuck did Bionicle come back and why didn't anyone tell me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom