• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is the issue with DirectX 12?

winjer

Gold Member
my CPU is like a year old, it's a 5600x
and yes, i'm using it in dual channel. I'm not (that much of) a retard

You have a gigantic bottleneck in the ram. You are not only losing a lot of performance, but such low speeds are causing you to have more stutters from asset streaming.
Do yourself a favor and get a kit with at least 3200MT/s.

Meanwhile, make sure you have XMP enabled.
Or you can try to OC that memory kit. You can probably push it to 3200 with a bit of skill.

I don't have any proof. BUT I think there is a massive conspiracy against PC gaming going on in the industry. Crypto was part of that conspiracy but that con could only sustain until every developer was using the same engine (Unreal).
Microsoft no longer has any interest in keeping PC gaming going with DX. Soon every developer is going to have to work their asses off optimizing for every card ever made and that will KILL PC gaming off for good.
The only ones that will survive are the PC 'Platformers' (Steamdeck) that do the optimizing for the developers. OR ya know a console like Xbox/PS.
What possible reason would there be to "kill pc gaming off for good"?

Isn't it the most widely used, most user friendly, bleeding edge and the format all games are made on before being refined and tailored to work on other platforms?

Wouldn't it be like destroying all the roads to make sure everyone drives electric cars?

Meaning, completely counter productive and counter intuitive?

I am not making a statement, obviously, just asking for some reason why it should be that way.

Philfrag

Banned
The difference between the two is very hit and miss. I think this comes down to the devs and how well they've developed their games. I have a 2080ti, I will mostly get best performance with DX12 but with some games even though I get better frames with 12, I end up getting stuttering that I didn't get with 11. As usual, PC is an after thought and anyone who indulges in getting the best hardware is usually getting fucked somehow.

Buggy Loop

And where does the Dreamcast fall in this?

Also, how come the PS2 emulation doesn't have that issue but the Dreamcast and Gamecube does? PS2 def seems more complex than DC at least.

PS2 has fixed function pipeline

Dreamcast’s PVR didn’t actually have something like shaders back then, it’s more akin to N64 with a texturing trick.

http://themaister.net/blog/wp-conte...g-Low-Level-GPU-Hans-Kristian-Munich-2019.pdf

This is the most detailed explanation of why N64 you see shading solution while the actual hardware did not, I guess it’s true for Dreamcast too. Using modern shaders to emulate old graphic texturing pipelines.

It’s beyond my knowledge to be honest.. but interesting to read, even if I can only really understand a fraction of the problematic of emulating those old architectures.

PhoenixTank

I want to see this. Can you choose to run/install a game in DX11 over DX12 on the same hardware and with the same Windows version?
Callisto Protocol I think was the recent example. Unsure if still they've cleared up the stutters and if testing would be valid, but it has both DX11&12 that you can choose from. I don't own it to give any further insight sadly. Uncharted LoT collection is DX12 only. MHW tend has both DX11 and 12. Never noticed stutters in that with either... just maybe slightly more DX12 crashes.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Callisto Protocol I think was the recent example. Unsure if still they've cleared up the stutters to make it valid, but it has both DX11&12 that you can choose from. I don't own it to give any further insight sadly. Uncharted LoT collection is DX12 only. MHW tend has both DX11 and 12. Never noticed stutters in that with either..., just maybe slightly more DX12 crashes.
Do you choose the DX version when installing the game?

Top Bottom