• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What time do you start and leave work?

daveo42

Banned
830am-530pm M-Th
30min lunch
Short hours on Friday

It's nice because those aren't necessarily hard times either. Some days I get in closer to 9am and others closer to 8am. I'd like it more if I lived closer and it paid more. The hour commute sucks.

GSR

Generally I'm actually in the office from 10-6 or 10-7 (commute varies from 30-60 minutes depending on the day). Sometimes add or remove an hour on either side. Late nights/weekends as needed.

I get to sleep a little later this way but not having much time at home in the evenings can wear on you after a while.

Trouble

Banned
Get in 9:30-10, eat lunch at desk while still working, leave 5-5:30 usually. We are pretty good at avoiding 'crunch time', but it does happen every once in awhile where my team is putting in extra hours to get a project done on time. I've only ever done weekend work at my own prerogative.

Every 5th week I'm oncall 24x7 for the week. It's usually pretty quiet, getting woken up in the middle of the night happens maybe once per rotation unless it's a bad one.

Laieon

2pm-10pm.

I teach at an academy in Korea.

Absolutely love this schedule. I've always been a night owl, so I can stay up late and still easily get about 8 hours of sleep.

Leave my place at around 8. Get to the office by 9.
Leave the office by... Anywhere between 7 and 9pm..
Mostly the latter since i waste time in the traffic otherwise

Its rough.... Associate at deliotte

aravuus

Currently working in an office much like your old one, we can more or less come in when we want to, work the 7 and a half hours and then leave.

I usually work from 7am to 3pm with a 30-45min lunch break around 11am. I really dislike coming in late and leaving late, so I hope I won't ever have to work in an office where everyone has to be in from 9 to 5 or something.

Right now it feels like I could definitely do this software developer/designer/engineer thing for the rest of my life, but I guess I've just started so we'll see.

jyoung188

I only live about 15 min away from my work, I start at 7 and leave at 3:30 Monday though Friday. Sometimes have to work weekends and am on call every once in a while.

abrack08

I'm officially scheduled from 9-530, however I usually take a longer lunch (we only officially get 30 minutes) and currently need to work about 50 hours because we're swamped. So I work 9-630 with a 45-60ish lunch break during the week and whatever else I need (usually 5-6 extra hours) in Saturday at whatever time I feel like. They're pretty lax as long as you get your hours in and work done, I have a habit of sleeping through my alarms despite have 5 set each morning so I'm between 5 and 20 minutes late pretty frequently and my boss doesn't mind.

Preferred: 7:45-4:00 or 4:15 or so. Usually put in a couple of focus hours in after work at home when it's quiet and my email is going off like some deranged torture device.

That's 1/2 the time though. Realistically I get enough 4 to 6 PM meetings that I have a few days where I start later, end later, and face the wrathful god of 520 traffic.

BeeDog

I have shifted my work day due to traffic and other personal obligations, so I arrive at ~06.20 and usually leave at ~14.30, with a 20 minute lunch around 11. Working in a functional business role of a software development company here in Sweden.

Socreges

Banned
It's gotten to the point that where I can create my own hours, provided I'm around for meetings and get my work done so that projects remain on track. In practice this means I'm working 9-10 hours per day, roughly 8 or 9am to 6pm, and often about an hour at home remotely each night. It sucks and I need a new job.

Open 24/7 so I can come in whenever I want. I usually come in at 8:40, browse GAF until 9/9:15 and leave around 5/5:15. I snack at my desk. Office is very relaxed. Nobody wears a shirt except the CEO basically.

Rad-

8:00 - 16:00. You are not forced to come at that time but you basically have to be working from 8:00 - 15:00 (meetings etc.) so there's 1 hour tolerance.

6:30 AM to 3 PM, with a half hour lunch. Most days I fudge it, get to the office about 5-15 minutes past 6:30 AM, but no one is around to check on me so I'll leave at 3 PM on the dot anyways. What kills me is my hour-long commute. I'm not a morning person, so this schedule has been sapping what little energy I have. By the time I get home at 4-ish, I need a nap.

7.30/8 til 4. Half hour lunch.

I would actually like to work longer* some days but my family would kill me and getting up early is not a natural state of being for me. I have thought about squeezing in an extra hour by getting up at 5. Once the kids are off to school I hope it will be a bit more relaxed. Probably not though!

*I'm the boss and it's my pet project so yeah.

bitbydeath

Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, I use the side door–that way the boss can’t see me, after that I sorta space out for an hour.

I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I’m working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I’d say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Welcome to having a job, OP.

I'm self employed and living in a time zone 14 hours ahead of my clients. I wake up around 11am, dick around for a few hours, and work for 3-4 hours starting at 2pm.

Hang out with my gf after she gets off work until around 10:30pm. She goes to bed and I go back to working, from 11pm to 3am or so. Then I sleep.

Liljagare

0630-1530, 1.15 break that you do as with you please, mon-fri.

And I have always hated early mornings.. one can never be satisfied.. :p

9 to 6 is the minimum but during peak periods it gets very easy to stay and work late.

I recently moved a lot further away from the city and so my day begins at 6:30 (leaving the house) and ends at 8:30pm (getting home). Bit of an adjustment phase going on at the moment...

I typically get in around 9AM and leave around 6PM.
My official working time is 9:30AM - 6:00PM and I rarely work overtime at this new job.

afroguy10

Start at 9, finish at 5. I don't normally go to bed until 11:30/12:00 so I feel like I get a pretty decent evening and I get my weekends.

red731

9-5

Commute one hour to the city and one hour back.
Walking around for ~50 minutes in nearby big park before and after work to kill time before commuting back.

Dougald

I work from home, usually start around 8 and finish whenever my wife gets home in the evening. Sometimes I'll take a few hours out in the middle of the day and work late, I'm a Sysadmin so I tend to have work that needs doing out of hours or on the weekend. My team is pretty laid back when it comes to working hours as long as the work gets done and we meet SLA in case of emergencies

Recreat3

I work afternoon shift so my normal gours are 3pm to midnight but if i work overtime i work till 230am and sometimes start before 3pm.

I have flextime from 09:00 to 15:00. Mandatory 30 minutes lunch added to that.(It's an law.)

So I basically need to reach 40 jours a week with the lunch time added to that. So if I come in 09, I need to work until 17:30 to reach +-0 on my flextime.

Currently I have around 10 hours + I can use when I want. (barring meetings or other problems at work that need fixing. )

We are pretty relaxed though and I only need to mention to people I need to duck out early to flex earlier then 15:00. We are more of an get shit done company(we are only around 20 ppl) then counting hours like that actually means something in itself.

Depends on the work load.

For the most part I try to get in early around 7 or 8. At my job people will ask you for help, so it's better to turn up early and get as much work done as possible.

I'll usually take an hour at 12 or 1 for lunch. I sometimes go at 2 if I'm planning on running throughout my lunch.

Leaving time is around 5, but if the work allows it. No one forces you to stay late, but I do if I have to. In a busy time I can be in a 7 and leave at 7 or later that evening.

johnyqd

9pm to 7am, 4 days a week, including Fri and Sat.

I don't socialize at all. When I'm off, it often ends up being too hard on my sleep to try and adjust back to a normal day sleeping cycle (more on that in a bit). Work accounts almost entirely for my contact with other people.

I'm up all night and seem to have been experiencing uneven sleep patterns lately during my usual sleep times, resulting in compounding sleep deprivation.

My work is short-staffed and I can't take any extended time off right now. I had a huge increase in my mood in July when I took a week off solid and adjusted back to a normal person sleep cycle for a few days.

I'm a 9-1-1 dispatcher, for what it's worth to know. The lucky part is that I work at a relatively small and quiet agency, but I'm often working by myself which means I have to juggle both phones and radios from time to time, so the actual incidents tend not to be stressful, but the multitasking can be.

I'm allotted 30 minute break per shift, with two shorter 15 minute breaks as well, totaling an hour of potential break time. I don't usually take advantage of this, because we're short-staffed and when I have to work alone, I can't leave the dispatch center at all.

I had to make sure I hadn't already posted - we share the same shift (different days off, but that varies for me depending on how the bid goes). 911 dispatcher here too. We are also short staffed so my shift often gets extended 2 hours on one end or the other.

I'm lucky in that my wife works the exact same shift and we don't try to adjust back and forth on weekends. It is a social damper but we make it work. Melatonin and Ambien are our friends when the neighborhood gets too noisy.

I keep thinking about making a 911 Dispatcher OT, depending on your shift and center policies it can be an amazing job for gamers. I don't know what your situation is but a slightly larger center may offer more flexibility for time off (and possibly better pay/benefits in general).

RowdyReverb

Let me tell you about being a resident physician.
When I’m working day shifts, it’s usually 6-7am to 6pm for six days a week. No breaks for lunch
I’m working nights right now and it’s 5:30p to 7a for five days a week. Last week I worked 84 hours. And it used to be worse before the powers that be imposed limits to on-duty hours.
I generally come in to the hospital by 7. Sign out is supposed to be at 5:30 but often gets pushed if there's a lot going on, and I'm out the door hopefully by 6/6:30. 6 days a week (except for one weekend per month where I get 2 days off), with 2 days a week of short call where I stay until 11 PM. I'm technically not legally allowed to work more than 80 hours a week as a medical resident, but I think I go over that most weeks. 50/50 chance to actually eat lunch each day, if it's too busy just have to skip it. Thursdays are lecture days, so at least guaranteed an hour lunch that day, otherwise it is a 15 min eat as quick as you can deal. Can't say being a medical resident has a very good schedule...

Though I still prefer that to my fiancee's schedule. She works 7 AM to 4:30 PM, but one to two days per week has a 24 hour call (works straight 7 AM one day through to 9 AM the next morning). 26 hours of straight work is just too much, not looking forward to doing those calls next year...

Oh forgot to mention, I live about an hour commute from my hospital (fiancee works at a different hospital, was the closest midway we could find), so I wake up around 5:30 to get to work for 7, and get home at around 7:30-8.
Somebody else knows the joy. I used to have a 1-1.5 hour commute until I moved closer to the hospital. Fortunately my program uses a night float system, so it’s very rare for me to work more than 18 continuous hours, but I do work nights for 3-week stints for 12 weeks out of the year.
What’s your specialty?

I start at 9, 9.30 or 10. Depending on what time the bus turns up.
Finish at usually 3 or 4.

I mostly dictate my own hours right now. Averaging about 25 hours a week.

Official hours for me at 9am - 5:30pm. However there is some flexibility there. I basically do 8:30 till 5. If i need to go earlier because of life i pretty much can as long as i dont take the piss. Most important part is you get your work done and to a high standard. Outside of that it's no big deal.

SPCTRE

7:00 to 3:00 and skipping lunch and just snacked/ate my desk
that's pretty much it, we are free to fluctuate around our core hours (9am to 3pm) so I usually aim for 7 to 3, on Friday we are free to leave at 12, which I do regularly

my commute is about 12 minutes each way

it's a luxury for certain, one that I do not take for granted

9 - 5.30.

Similar to you, it's the first place I've worked where working hours aren't flexible. They've just set up a digital marketing team so aren't quite used to how a modern office works - if you're in after 9, you're late. Still, I'm grateful for a job so I don't mind.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Multinational financial - used to be long weeks (50+ hours), but with a new function and new mentality withing the company it's more about realizing targets then making hours. I get paid for 40 but I think most weeks I'm a couple hours less in the office. I compensate in busy weeks and work longer/more concentrated when at home, which I do usually one day a week. I have a 35 minute commute on bicycle, which is an aspect I love about my current commute - get a bit of over an hour of exercise every week and it is a pleasant route to cycle, rather rural, from small city to bigger city along the banks of a river. Could be worse.

These days, usually get up at 7, leave the house between 8:00-8:30, arrive at the office 9:00/15. Don't really like to hurry in the morning. Leave office around 5/5:30 and take a half hour lunch break.

I had to make sure I hadn't already posted - we share the same shift (different days off, but that varies for me depending on how the bid goes). 911 dispatcher here too. We are also short staffed so my shift often gets extended 2 hours on one end or the other.

I'm lucky in that my wife works the exact same shift and we don't try to adjust back and forth on weekends. It is a social damper but we make it work. Melatonin and Ambien are our friends when the neighborhood gets too noisy.

I keep thinking about making a 911 Dispatcher OT, depending on your shift and center policies it can be an amazing job for gamers. I don't know what your situation is but a slightly larger center may offer more flexibility for time off (and possibly better pay/benefits in general).

It’s slow enough at my agency in the summer that I literally just bring my gaming laptop and probably spend 90% of my shift playing games. Completely authorized to utilize tech at our own leisure, but obviously can’t under any conditions obstruct our duties. So yes, absolutely incredible for gaming. I bought a Pascal-equipped gaming laptop last year, and being able to continuously play Breath of the Wild on my Switch earlier this year was ... absolutely spoiling.

Top Bottom