• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the first 3D game with good looking 3D foliage?

nkarafo

Can't remember something before the original Turok on the N64 in early 1997 (pictures taken with native N64 resolution):

q7obyyk.png
4Q7cVBv.png

I remember 3D games before that using 2D sprites where you can only see a single side even when you rotate the camera (Like the palm trees in Duke Nukem 3D). That or trees that look like cardboard cut outs.

But Turok had fully 3D, detailed foliage that looked amazing the time.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can't remember something before the original Turok on the N64 in early 1997 (pictures taken with native N64 resolution):

q7obyyk.png
4Q7cVBv.png

I remember 3D games before that using 2D sprites where you can only see a single side even when you rotate the camera (Like the palm trees in Duke Nukem 3D). That or trees that look like cardboard cut outs.

Nailed it in one. Turok was definitely the first time I was impressed by foliage.

Honorable mention to Tomb Raider during the T-Rex fight, though.

xZg6SN2.jpeg

It also would be criminal not to mention Crysis in this thread. The leap in density, animation, and physics-based interactions was huuuuge with the foliage in that game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I feel like, from what I remember, the first games specifically getting a lot of press / attention for foliage were Far Cry, and then another wave for Crysis.

Aenima

I remember Oblivion being the 1st game that blew me away with its fooliage. Later came others that was also impressive like Crysis and even Uncharted. And more recently Horizon Forbidden West.

One of my personal favorites is Ghost of Tsushima, the way the fooliage and grass interact with the horse is just perfection.

Last edited:

Edellus

It definitely wasn't the first with just "good" foliage. But as far as I remember, it was the first game with a foliage that made me watch in awe.

It is probably not fair due to the nature of the game, but to me it is Flower for PS3:

Every single blade of grass is moving to the wind, produces sound when interacting with it, it is beautifully lit with a variety of colours and can be seen from far away.

Last edited:

MujkicHaris

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
At the time of release it looked like real life to me. The first thing I noticed --- bump mapping on tree trunks. I believe this was the first time I saw a proper bump mapping implementation in a video game.
Also the amount of foliage on the screen was impressive.

h8CTo0m.png

i4BCPj2.png
kO9fTPa.png
K3Ysd9E.png

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

q7obyyk.png
4Q7cVBv.png

I hate video games that do these tricks, tricking something that looks like 3D, but they're sprites.

nkarafo

I hate video games that do these tricks, tricking something that looks like 3D, but they're sprites.
These aren't sprites. They are flat polygons, just like every modern game that has 3D foliage effects. Leaves are thin as paper, they don't need to waste polygons to make them thicker.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
A Link To The Past, you just have to hold your TV at a 90° angle and squint your eyes, like those Jesus pics on Twitter.

lmimmfn

The answer 100% is Far Cry, the same devs produced Crysis.

When I saw Far Cry on PC(only had demo) I was amazed/knew it was cutting edge, I never played the actual game and realise its not great but the demo was a WOW moment.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

q7obyyk.png
4Q7cVBv.png

Pretty cool for an N64 game indeed. Went and checked Goldeneye's jungle level and it sucks in comparison.

King Dazzar

My girlfriend has some impressive foilage.

She says welcome to the jungle when we get in bed.

Guns N Roses GIF
lol, I dont see a better post happening in this thread... I mean thats the 3D foliage that really matters. Now did I get to see that before I played Far Cry.... hmm, yes I think I did. And a fine bushy bit of foliage it was too. Only problem was as I later found out, everyone got to see her foliage!!

Synless

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
At the time of release it looked like real life to me. The first thing I noticed --- bump mapping on tree trunks. I believe this was the first time I saw a proper bump mapping implementation in a video game.
Also the amount of foliage on the screen was impressive.

h8CTo0m.png

i4BCPj2.png
kO9fTPa.png
K3Ysd9E.png
I can honestly say that Oblivion was the only game that comes to mind to me that blew me away when I travelled through it. I distinctly recall feelings of feeling like it was almost realistic.

Kind of funny when you think of it considering it doesnt hold up at all today.

Grass in star fox adventures.
_x8knNj1m5SGbg4yYzIb92FjdrdS0GrnYPKLcuWTj68.jpg
SFA would have to be my answer as well. Honestly no foliage in even my most beloved n64 games ever looked good, even to my 12-14 year old eyes. But SFA’s graphics. Like goddamn that game was absolutely gorgeous. Blew my freakin’ mind. And honestly it still looks pretty good, to this day.

The technique that Rare used to create the illusion of "fur" on Fox and Peppy, and individual grass blades swaying in the wind, was just mind-blowing to me. It's also still a technique used to this day. Playing SFA in 480p widescreen on Wii with component cables was quite the upgrade, as well.

Last edited:

Mokus

Far Cry! And not just because it was so breathtaking for its time, but also because you could use it to hide in the bushes adding to the gameplay depth. Having stealth in FPS games was something very rare and mostly using the shadows or dark areas in the games.

Celine

Yeah, Turok for N64 was impressive when it came out in 1997.

As other have already mentioned, at the time I was suprised by the grass rendering in Star Fox Adventures (2002):
xOIUSai.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom