• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game released that year? 2006 edition (56k)

aett

In terms of sheer hours spent playing it year after year, probably Final Fantasy V Advance.

I thought that FFXII was pretty good at first, but then a few years later I played IZJS, which boosted it to one of my favorite games in the series, so I won't count that for 06.

Apart from that, the year stands out in my mind as being full of games I was excited for, but never quite reached my expectations. Suikoden V, Shadow Hearts 3, Disgaea 2, Valkyire Profile 2...

Shouldn't Vice City Stories have a picture of a bald black guy?

Good shit here. I've played

Final Fantasy V (GBA)
Bully
Final Fantasy XII
Kingdom Hearts II
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Okami
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth

Out of these... This is a hard one. I think I'll give it to Okami.

antitrop

Burnout Revenge
Elite Beat Agents
Final Fantasy XII
Gears of War
Guitar Hero II
Killzone: Liberation
Lumines II
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

GOTY: Guitar Hero II

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. It's my favorite game of all time, my first metal gear game and it's the game which led to me becoming a full time gamer as opposed to just playing final fantasy and other RPGs every now and then.

mrmickfran

godhand_azel_03.gif
wUX4PK2.gif

QS58D.gif
GAmlTdX.gif

Dimorphic

I don't know if I can split Gears of War and Oblivion. I spent SO much time playing Gears online (ah the nostalgia of the "unofficial" Australian servers of 9 rounds, Warzone to find 5 bar games) but I also sunk hundreds of hours into Oblivion.

I guess I'll go Oblivion by the virtue that I can go back and play it today but outside of reliving GoW Remastered there are other Gears games (4) that I'd rather play in 2017.

Moofers

BTW my pick is easily Gears of War. I was obsessed with that game and played it online like it was my religion. Eventually it turned into a wall-bouncing Gnasher-fest and I hated it, but for a while it was a glorious team shooter that rewarded all kinds of different strategies.

Still rolling deep with that series, though I became a Horde player when it was introduced in Gears of War 2 and I haven't really missed the competitive modes since.

Killzone Liberation by far.
A PSP game that got a patch, and free single player DLC, and continued the story from the original KZ (the one good thing about the original).
It had co-op that was great, along with online multiplayer!

The cliff hanger ending was also cool, and then became more resolved in the DLC chapter.

The gameplay style was cool, and I like the camera angle. I wish there was a spiritual successor, or another top down cover shooter like it.
I loved the grenades too.
Killzone 2 definitely inherited a lot of Liberation's features (setting up bombs, spider grenades, and most importantly, the cover system).

Honorable Mention: The Twelfth, but not Final, Fantasy

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Outrun 2006, Dead Rising, Trackmania United, Test Drive Unlimited,Yakuza and Marble Blast Ultra.
Most of these titles have been played a year later, apart from Outrun and Trackmania which were the same year and Yakuza 2 years ago.

Either Bully or Final Fantasy XII, can't decide.
Maybe Final Fantasy XII since I've actually only played the scholarship edition of Bully which I think came out a couple years later?

Both are in my top 10 favourites

PaulloDEC

I didn't own a console back then, so I only played PC titles. That being the case, Prey and HL2:E2 are probably the strongest contenders for me.

eso76

Has to be oblivion.
Nowhere near as good as Morrowind but I still put 70+ hours into it (never finished it tho, I think).

Or Dead Rising. I loved Dead Rising.

I bought my Xbox 360 for Dead Rising. That game was amazing, and I also bought a new monitor to play it on, so it was a really new experience playing an HD game at home that wasn't a PC title... somehow it felt different.

I played a lot of Wii Sports with friends. I played a LOT of Excite Truck by myself.

Viva Pinata is on my GOAT list, so that also. I was so fucking hyped. Sad it didn't catch on, the cartoon was scrapped.

Oh and Smackdown Vs. Raw on PSP!!!!! Mobile Smackdown was the best.

I bought my Xbox 360 for Dead Rising. That game was amazing, and I also bought a new monitor to play it on, so it was a really new experience playing an HD game at home that wasn't a PC title... somehow it felt different.

I played a lot of Wii Sports with friends. I played a LOT of Excite Truck by myself.

Viva Pinata is on my GOAT list, so that also. I was so fucking hyped. Sad it didn't catch on, the cartoon was scrapped.

Oh and Smackdown Vs. Raw on PSP!!!!! Mobile Smackdown was the best.

I never played Excite Truck. How did it compare to Excite Bike?

1. Zelda: Twilight Princess
2. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
3. Final Fantasy III
4. OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast

Probably the weakest year in video game history since the crash in the mid-eighties.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My top 5 from that year... pretty good year in hindsight:

Mother 3
Baten Kaitos Origins
Twilight Princess
Tetris DS
Suikoden V

Twilight Princess was my favourite. Though I'm not as fond of it now as I was then.

Also loved Okami, Suikoden V, Gears of War, Valkyrie Profile 2 (and Lenneth), Elite Beat Agents, Yakuza, Canis Cane Edit (Bully), Castlevana:poR, Daxter, FFIII and of course, the wonderful Final Fantasy XII (2007 EU). Good year.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Final Fantasy XII for me. Put ~130 hours into it between Halloween 2006 and February the following the year. Even all the big holiday releases got put aside for that PS2 epic I could not rip myself away from.

IC5

Okami. The general template is a Zelda game. But it fills that template with a ton of unique, fun personality. The Japanese art and mythos makes for a very compelling a dreamlike experience.
The paintbrush game mechanic is perfectly implemented and allows a surprising range of uses. It's a really fun twist to simply getting new gear/tools in Zelda. And the is very adventurous. Rarely have I felt so, while playing games.

Wolves are my favorite animal. Playing as one in such an adventure, was wonderful.

Top Bottom