• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game released that year? 2009 edition (56k)

Chinbo37

Some great games there and I haven't played some of the most popular (eg gta4).

But from what I have played:

Borderlands

baberunisei

From the ones I've played it is Infamous, followed by Dissidia. But to this day I still have Uncharted 2 and DQ V not played in my backlog and I suspect Any of those two could also be my 2009 GOTY

played so many games in 2009. and pc had like the best year ever. or more specifically 1C did, but overall it was super good too. too bad they pretty much stopped releasing "first party" developed games a couple years later. they released several games that are still games I consider among my all time favourites.

cryostasis sleep of reason
men of war and the red tide expansion
necrovision
death to spies moment of truth
king's bounty armored princess

other random stuff I loved in 2009, arma 2, dcs black shark, call of juarez bound in blood, riddick dark athena, red faction guerrilla, tropico 3, dawn of war 2, blood bowl, anno 1404, majesty 2, solium infernum, the void, ai war, elven legacy, drakensang, nwn2 mysteries of westgate, shattered horizon, section 8, fear 2, killing floor, wolfenstein, mini ninjas, bionic commando, machinarium, cogs, torchlight, trine, mirror's edge. absolutely loved all of these.

but my number one, the favourite, from 2009. THE SABOTEUR. 10 out of 10 open world nonsense.

sp3ctr3

Wow! What a year 2009 was.

My top pick is Modern Warfare 2. It was the only game I played for 3 months straight.

Runners up are: (put in 100+ hours on each of these. No wonder my GF left me)
Skate 2 (PS3, 360)
Street Fighter IV (PS3, 360, PC)
Forza Motorsport 3 (360)

This was my haul that year:
Borderlands (PS3, 360, PC)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3, 360, PC)
Forza Motorsport 3 (360)
Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony (360)
Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned (360)
Guitar Hero: Metallica (PS3, 360, Wii)
Left 4 Dead 2 (360, PC)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (360)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
OutRun: Online Arcade (PS3, 360)
Resident Evil 5 (PS3, 360, PC)
Shadow Complex (360)
Skate 2 (PS3, 360)
Street Fighter IV (PS3, 360, PC)
The House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii)
Trials HD (360)

ibu

For me it was:

1. Assassins Creed II
2. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
3. Batman: Arkham Asylum
4: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
5: Demons Souls

It has to be that way because of the time I put into them all. The top 3 I pretty much 100% at the time.

kagamin

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva
projectdiva.jpg

KodaRuss

Probably Killzone 2 then Uncharted 2 and Halo: ODST. I have still not played through Demon's Souls though. Kinda been waiting around for a remaster maybe.

Uncharted 2. It alone justified my PS3 purchase.

Was tempted to say SF4 but I really got obsessed with that when SUPER came out. Arkham Asylum is a close 2nd.

IC5

Demon's Souls. I was part of that early import crowd, when the game was only available in Asia. I imported it in March and found the game I had been wanting, for years.

Dark, sinister, secretive, interesting, challenging, boss focus, amazing art direction, important sound queues, etc. What's around the next corner? I want find out!

It's the most time I have ever put into a single player game. I don't think I even put as much time into Morrowind.

Phediuk

Assassin's Creed 2 probably.

What an improvement over the first game.

Trials HD and Red Faction Guerrilla were dope too.

TheXbox

I got a PS3 with Uncharted 2 (and MGS4) in Christmas '09. That was probably the last formative experience I had with video games. It blew my mind then and it still blows me away today. Uncharted 2 is one of the greats.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Uncharted 2 would be my overall pick.

Strong competition though!
- House of the Dead Overkill
- Batman AA
- Borderlands
- Street Fighter IV
- Demon's Souls
- New Super Mario Bros
- Punchout

Ventara

Arkham Asylum. 2009 was the year my younger brother got a PS3, and AA was the first game I played on it coming off of the N64, so graphics-wise, I was blown away. Close second would be Uncharted 2. Those 2 games defined my introduction into modern gaming.

Special shoutouts to Muramasa (my intro to Vanillaware; fell in love with the graphics and hack-and-slash gameplay), Braid (it's ending left me shook), Dragon Age: Origins (this is what I want out of a WRPG) and Ratchet & Clack: A Crack in Time (I was enamored with how fun the game ended up being and went on to platinum it).

Edit: Assassin's Creed 2 came that year as well? That was another really fun one. Probably my favourite AC game.

U_Know_Me

MW2 on Xbox 360. Everyone was playing that game it was crazy. For two months straight my whole friends list was playing MW2 multiplayer.

Arkham Asylum. 2009 was the year my younger brother got a PS3, and AA was the first game I played on it coming off of the N64, so graphics-wise, I was blown away. Close second would be Uncharted 2. Those 2 games defined my introduction into modern gaming.

It would be two years before I played Arkham Asylum, but I remember being very surprised at its reviews. I was used to Batman games being mediocre for years, and then this one all of a sudden nabbed great reviews. It's honestly not my favorite one -- I feel traversing the asylum isn't as fun as traversing Arkham City/Gotham City, and it shows up a lot when I'm going from building to building, but I still have a lot of fun playing it.

Plus, the original voice actress for Harley Quinn is in this game.

Melchiah

Arkham Asylum still holds up so well. I've enjoyed the entire series, but Asylum is probably still my favorite.

It would be my second choice, after WipEout HD Fury. I played it in 2011 though. What prevents it from reaching the top spot is the repetitive and annoying boss fights.

Top Bottom