• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game released that year? 2009 edition (56k)

Arkham Asylum and Demon's Souls were released the same year?

I guess those two were the best games that year.

Halo 3 ODST was great too.

Uncharted 2 is probably my favorite game of all time cuz of that multiplayer. It was stupid fun. I think I've played the campaign at least five times. I've played Arkham Asylum twice, Assassin's Creed 2 twice, and so many others. Fun year overall.

Edit: Also, Infamous is an incredible open world game.

Famassu

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time is easily the most fun I had with a game that year. I still consider it the best game in the franchise. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story comes in at a close second.

Assassins_Creed_2_Box_Art.JPG
So much this.
very Close second Demon Souls, both were/are masterpieces.

Malawhur

Demon's souls. Followed by Uncharted 2, brutal legend (I am in the minority I know :)), killzone 2. Great year overall!

Joey Ravn

Banned
Pokémon Platinum.

Honorable mentions:
  • Dragon Age Origins
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • Borderlands (though the series really hit its stride with 2)
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy (if anything, for the amazing motion controls)
  • Assassin's Creed II (although, again, I prefer Broterhood)
  • Modern Warfare 2 (the only CoD I played online, and it also had that awesome co-op mission mode!)

Trago

Tough year, but Assassin's Creed 2. The leap in quality from the first game was insane.

2009 was a turning point for the PS3 as well, look at all of those exclusives!

I was about to say it's a tie between Demon's Souls and Dragon Age: Origins, but then I remembered the Fade, so it's Demon's Souls.

edit: LOL how could I forget Bayonetta. What's wrong with me.

edit 2: because it came out in 2010 outside of Japan. Shame on you, mrmickfran!

Strike

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. No contest.

Runner's Up: Killzone 2, Assassin's Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, & Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Courage

1. The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena
2. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
3. Batman: Arkham Asylum
4. Prototype
5: Red Faction: Guerrilla
6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
7. Resident Evil 5
8. Skate 2
9. Shadow Complex
10. Halo 3: ODST

Bayonetta was 2010 iirc?

Upinsmoke

UC2, loved AC II as well. Was also more hyped than i'd ever been for the sequel to MW, unfortunately it's the reason COD went to shit.

Couleurs

Modern Warfare 2 was so much fun. Especially the first couple of months when the ninja/knife build was crazy overpowered, just running around silently and lunging halfway across the screen to stab someone to death before they can raise their gun. Then it got fixed :(

Bamboo

Braid
Mirror's Edge (for what it's worth)

Didn't play a bunch of the games mentioned. Still interested in playing Patapon 2, Rhythm Heaven and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (of which i grabbed a copy for Wii already).

Arkham Asylum - It's one of the few games I've double dipped on

Honorable Mention: Borderlands I rented the game and once the GOTY edition came out I got it

Melchiah

WipEout HD Fury.

No question about it. I also bought my first HDTV around that time, and it looked glorious on 1080p display. I played the game up until 2014, and I'm about to return to it when the Omega Collection will be released. A game of the forever.

Believe it or not, New Super Mario Bros. Wii. This came out at a time when there was only one NSMB game that had been released several years earlier... to me, THIS was Mario's true 2D comeback that I had been waiting for since Super Mario World (The DS version was more dull than I ever imagined Mario could possibly be). The level design was great, and multiplayer was absolutely hilarious, and was really the birth of all the 2D multiplayer games that would follow.

Borderlands, I guess. Maybe Uncharted 2.

Though it would be Demon's Souls by a country mile if I had actually finished it that year. Bought it, couldn't get into it. Finished it in 2015 I think. After DS1 finally got me into the series.

GamerJM

Banned
Pokemon Platinum. Remains best in the series to this day. Untouchable post-game.

There were a lot of games that I considered contenders back in this year but thinking back I don't really consider them 2009 releases. For example I imported Pokemon SoulSilver by the year's end but that's a 2010 game to me now. I thought about giving GotY to Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, which is still the best game collection to this date, but that's kind of cheating. And then that year I did give it to SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny, which is more or less a modified port of 4's engine for the PSP and probably my favorite in the series content wise, but these days I don't care much about fighting games for single-player so it's kind of useless.

There was also Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, which I straight-up loved on first playthrough though on a subsequent one it was apparent I only really liked it a lot in the first place because I forgot how great the rest of the series was in comparison somehow. My LTTP would go to Beatmania IIDX 16: Empress, which is a fantastic farewell to console-released Beatmania games.

There was also a lot of great stuff that year that I didn't mention that wasn't really a contender. Star Ocean: the Last Hope (screw the haters I liked it, that battle system was incredible), Halo 3: ODST, Wii Sports Resort, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, Final Fantasy IV; the After Years, and BlazBlue.

This was kind of a weak year for me coming off 2005-2008 and probably one of the weakest of the decade overall (second to only 2002), but at the time I was still catching up on old stuff for the most part (and playing a shit ton of Rock Band 2, especially with all the DLC releasing that year), so I didn't really mind, and for my personal gaming experience this might have been my most active year ever. I don't think things really sunk in as having been worse than 2005-2008 for me until the subsequent year 2010, which was actually a somewhat solid year.

Believe it or not, New Super Mario Bros. Wii. This came out at a time when there was only one NSMB game that had been released several years earlier... to me, THIS was Mario's true 2D comeback that I had been waiting for since Super Mario World (The DS version was more dull than I ever imagined Mario could possibly be). The level design was great, and multiplayer was absolutely hilarious, and was really the birth of all the 2D multiplayer games that would follow.

Hey, I believe it!

NSMB Wii and Punch-Out!! are were encouraged me to buy a Wii. I played NSMB Wii multiplayer and had a damn ball, and while I actually loved the DS one, the Wii one was one of my favorite Mario games in ages.

Borderlands, I guess. Maybe Uncharted 2.

Though it would be Demon's Souls by a country mile if I had actually finished it that year. Bought it, couldn't get into it. Finished it in 2015 I think. After DS1 finally got me into the series.

When I first played Dark Souls 1, I had fun dying a lot but I thought the game wasn't for me.

But I didn't have a good handle of the mechanics. When the second boss appeared, my friend laughed as I ran away immediately and tried to find high ground. I'm surprised I held onto Bloodborne during that hard beginning area as I didn't even know how to equip weapons at first! But once I learned the multiple ways to attack, parrying and side-stepping, holy crap, I was addicted.

I'm so glad these games exist.

Top Bottom