• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will actually happen if Trump withdraws from NAFTA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Republicans are playing a massive game of chicken right now and with their egos this will only end in a head-on collision.
Basically, they're stuck in a situation where their own party is demanding something that will completely fuck them over.

And not fuck them over slowly, I mean fuck them over as soon as it happens.

The rural uneducated people that think they are getting their jobs back still won't be getting their jobs back. Further, when any government assistance is cut by the GOP, they will then go hungry.

Sean C

That and a large portion of the world would starve to death.
It would be a bonanza for other agricultural areas in the world, e.g., the Canadian west, though.

I wish economists would stop talking about 'Net benefit' and try to break down the effects by socioeconomic group and geography, because that's really Trumps whole argument, not that no one benefits from the trade deals, just that it's rural america that loses out.

If he's actually right and these deals are only beneficial to the bottom lines of billion dollar corporations then maybe the US should pull out.
Rural America benefits from free trade the same way the rest of America does, with incredibly cheap consumer goods. The end of free trade will jack up the price of pretty much everything, including necessities like clothes and food (let alone electronics, etc.).

I feel like north america will go into a "mild" recession but at least canada has a trade deal in place with the european union to mitigate any possible fallout.

Mind you, it will take years for ceta to provide dividends for the two trading blocs.

I highly doubt anything major will take place between canada us though. Half a trillion dollars in trade flows between both countries per year.

Canada-US trade last year: $760B (plus the same amount in cross-border investments)
Canada-EU trade last year: $90B (not sure about investments)

There's no way CETA makes up that difference...like, ever. And NAFTA ending would devastate Canada. But I'm pretty sure that the US would be pretty economically devastated by $2B/day in trade suddenly drying up, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom