• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will FromSoftware release first?

What do you think will release first?

• Armored Core VI

Votes: 66 35.7%
  • Elden Ring RTX patch

Votes: 15 8.1%
  • Elden Ring story DLC

Votes: 97 52.4%
  • Other (explain in the comments)

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters
I've started my third playthrough of Elden Ring to co-op with my brother over the holidays and it got me thinking - what are the chances that RTX patch will drop before AC VI?

Personally, I can't decide if they would wait until before or after the first major story DLC releases so they can focus on optimizing across the entire game. Then again, this is FromSoftware we're talking about; optimization doesn't seem to be a major priority. There were some discoveries from data mining that hinted at an eventual patch, but it's up in the air at this point.

What are your thoughts?

Elden Ring - RTX

No bullshit though, ray tracing on the PC was teased in interviews leading up to and after release: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...-will-give-graphics-a-shine-in-future-updates

Patch 1.07 also contained some strings directly alluding to a raytracing toggle to be in added in the graphics settings: https://twistedvoxel.com/elden-ring-update-1-07-patch-notes-ray-tracing-coming-soon/

Elden Ring - DLC

I don't have any reliable sources for this one, but there was a "leak" early this year that points to DLC being released in Q3 of 2023. Take this with a grain of salt obviously: https://gamerant.com/elden-ring-dlc-2023-leak-ransomware-attack-barbarians-badlands-godfrey/

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

This has apparently been in development alongside Elden Ring. There were reports of play tests and surveys happening as early as January 2022: https://www.gamesradar.com/a-new-armored-core-game-is-reportedly-in-development/

FromSoftware follows a consistent pattern of releasing within 10 months from initial announcement up to launch (Elden Ring being the major outlier). Alternatively, the "leak" that exposed Elden Ring DLC suggests a 2023 Q1 release.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
From and graphics updates?

f26.jpg

From and graphics updates?

f26.jpg
Lol yeah, it sounds pretty unbelievable without any context 😅

No bullshit though, ray tracing on the PC was teased in interviews leading up to and after release: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...-will-give-graphics-a-shine-in-future-updates

Patch 1.07 also contained some strings directly alluding to a raytracing toggle to be in added in the graphics settings: https://twistedvoxel.com/elden-ring-update-1-07-patch-notes-ray-tracing-coming-soon/

i voted story dlc but i don't know. i know miyazaki said there was more elden ring stuff coming but for some reason i have a feeling we're not going to get an expansion/big DLC. i'd love it if we did don't get me wrong.

armored core probably isn't coming until later this year so it feels a bit silly to say that'll come first unless we're expecting elden ring stuff to release in 2024 lol

Kamina

Golden Boy
I assume they have a team working on Elden Ring DLC while they develop Armored Core, so i assume the DLC will come first.
I don’t believe in a Ray Tracing patch.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I say DLC. It makes too much sense, both creatively and from a business perspective. However, it deserves to not be rushed. Surely the unprecedented success of ER has earned them that freedom.

I've updated the description with some sources for the poll options and my thoughts on each. I'm posting here for more visibility.

Elden Ring - RTX

Elden Ring - DLC

I don't have any reliable sources for this one, but there was a leak" early this year that points to DLC being released in Q3 of 2023. Take this with a grain of salt obviously: https://gamerant.com/elden-ring-dlc-2023-leak-ransomware-attack-barbarians-badlands-godfrey/

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

This has apparently been in development alongside Elden Ring. There were reports of play tests and surveys happening as early as January 2022: https://www.gamesradar.com/a-new-armored-core-game-is-reportedly-in-development/

FromSoftware follows a consistent pattern of releasing within 10 months from initial announcement up to launch (Elden Ring being the major outlier). Alternatively, the "leak" that exposed Elden Ring DLC suggests a 2023 Q1 release.

That RTX patch is probably never going to come. That engine is already poorly optimised and on its last legs.
Datamining from recent patches says otherwise.

From will re-use whatever assets and engine features they can for as long as they can, for better or for worse. I can't see them moving to a new engine especially after they just spent considerable amount of dev time migrating their engine to DX12.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

So if you are new to all things Armored core what would be the first go-to-game to get an idea about what it's all about?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Story DLC with any luck.

And it'll probably be longer, and better quality than most full games this year, and will probably be in with a chance of GOTY again.

I'm still sceptical that it's gonna be there. Of course I hope for the best, also for a good RT-performance, but given the game's fidelity and quite poor performance, I wonder how viable RT will be here.
Considering the typical performance cost of RT and From's engineering track record, I wouldn't hold my breath for viability unless you have the beefiest of hardware.

I don't understand why people doubt ER will get story DLC. It's their most successful game by a wide margin and I'd bet From DLC attach rates are super high. It's a license to print money using assets already created for the main game. No way they don't release it, and I think it's likely to come out before AC6

I don't understand why people doubt ER will get story DLC. It's their most successful game by a wide margin and I'd bet From DLC attach rates are super high. It's a license to print money using assets already created for the main game. No way they don't release it, and I think it's likely to come out before AC6
Yeah, seems a bit silly to think that they won't release story DLC. Given how much effort they put into building out the world of Elden Ring and all the loose ends to explore (Miquella, Godwyn, etc.), I figured it was pretty much a given that DLC was coming.

From has a history of managing their resources to divide and conquer so they can keep up a steady pace of releases - this is how they managed to launch 6 games in 2010s alone. In 2016, it was reported that they had "3 and half" projects in development (Deracine, Sekiro, Elden Ring, Armored Core VI):

What I'm trying to point out is that, outside of marketing reasons, they have no barriers to release titles at the same time or out of order. It's a bit of a stretch on my part, but the Bandai Namco "leak" suggests that story DLC will come after the release of AC6.

Last edited:
I'm hoping we have more than one effect:
  • Reflections seem pretty obvious given the significant screen-space artifacting all across Liurnia
  • Shadows would make the catacombs + mines very atmospheric with all the light sources
  • Other than reflections, GI + AO would have a significant impact on the world with bounce lighting making the colorful environments pop even more. It's also the most expensive to implement so it's the least likely.

Ooooooh Elden Ring. Most awarded game of all time needs some RTX!

Last edited:
Honestly, I hope they DON'T release the ray tracing patch. As much as love From soft from a creative standpoint, they're far from technical wizards. They finally have Elden Ring at a mostly consistent framerate. The last thing they need is to introduce, in my opinion, over-hyped and mostly useless ray tracing and ruin their framerates again.

Last edited:
Honestly, I hope they DON'T release the ray tracing patch. As much as love From soft from a creative standpoint, they're far from technical wizards. They finally have Elden Ring at a mostly consistent framerate. The last thing they need is to introduce, in my opinion, over-hyped and mostly useless ray tracing and ruin their framerates again.
As long as you have the ability to toggle it on/off then there shouldn't be any impact to performance for those that want to stick to the original lighting.

This isn't the same situation as Witcher 3 where moving the engine to DirectX 12 caused significant performance bottlenecks that weren't present in the original. Elden Ring is already running on DirectX 12.

As long as you have the ability to toggle it on/off then there shouldn't be any impact to performance for those that want to stick to the original lighting.

This isn't the same situation as Witcher 3 where moving the engine to DirectX 12 caused significant performance bottlenecks that weren't present in the original. Elden Ring is already running on DirectX 12.
I'd like to think that, but it's From. I worry. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I'd like to think that, but it's From. I worry. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

What I'd actually like is for From Soft to take a breather between games for some much needed technical debt downpayment on their engine.

Heck I wonder how they'd look on UE5, though some would argue it takes away some of their vibe/charm. An engine is an engine though, on a good one like that they should be able to deliver whatever vision they have.

Last edited:
So does anybody think there will be an announcement at the anniversary event in a couple of hours? My money is on a raytracing update 🤞

Last edited:
Top Bottom