• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would YOU like to see in a Smash Switch

If we get a Smash 5 for the Switch instead of a port of the Wii U game, what would you like to see in it.

My personal list:

- Ice Climbers. natch. Wolf, Squirtle and Ivysaur too.

- A Kanto Pokemon stage. We haven't had a proper Kanto stage since 64, even though all but two of the playable Pokemon debuted there. It would be a nostalgia trip for sure. If not, at least the return of Saffron City.

- New Stages for every franchise. More than anything else, this was the drawback of development being split between two versions. A Switch Smash 5 getting all the new stages would be an improvement.

- Custom Final Smashes. Why not?

- The return of transformations. With custom moves, there HAS to be a way to accommodate this. Transform can be a fourth custom Down+B for Zelda and Sheik, that way their Brawl and Smash 4 movesets are options for those that want either. Ditto Pokemon Trainer. Samus would be tricker, but Custom final smashes would take care of that.

And though it's not a transformation per se, the return of Olimar's Brawl moveset and Pikmin count would be welcome. In general, Smash 5 would be better than a Smash 4+ because it wouldn't have to meet the 3DS and it's anemic CPU halfway.

- More alts. This could be a good way to get representation to franchises lacking in it, and buff up the roster without actually creating new characters. For example, make Paula a Ness alt, or Dr. Stewart a Captain Falcon art.

- Melee Stages that weren't in Brawl. We kind of got one of those in Flat Zone X (sort of) but it would be cool to see Fourside, Brinstar Depths, Mushroom Kingdom 1+2 and Poke Floats again.

NoKisum

A single player adventure mode. I'm probably in the minority but I absolutely loved the Subspace Emissary.

You're not alone, bro.

On top of that returning, I also want the return of offline tournament mode, a Smash Run for online play, and a better way to upload replay videos to social media.

Outside of all that, bring back everything that made Smash 4 great and I'm in.

A single player adventure mode. I'm probably in the minority but I absolutely loved the Subspace Emissary.

My dream adventure mode would be one with levels based on specific games. Like for example a Mario section that was a remix of Mario 3, a Zelda section based on Zelda II, etc.

Smash 4 is pretty perfect to me in terms of gameplay, so I would require more representation for DK (K.Rool, Cranky?) and Metroid universes, and more and better single player content. I don't really need another Subspace Emissary, but I do think it's necessary something with enough substance to match the expectations after a game like Super Smash Bros Brawl (which was extraordinarily complete for solo players).

Personally I'd love to see something like The Great Cave Offensive from Kirby Superstar; a metroidesque labyrinth with puzzles that require abilities from the fighters and some unique boss battles. If something like that comes true, a Boss rush like the one in Brawl and the Kirby series would be awesome too. Also, let the Classic mode stay classic (not like the U version), make individual "Break the targets" levels for each character and make the stadium minigames cool again.

An adventure mode like Melee's (enemies and levels inspired by different Nintendo series) with possible 4-player co-op

And have it be nothing like Brawl's nightmarish Subspace Emissary in terms of tone, aesthetic, or structure. SSE was horrifying

If it is a port of 4, it better be a pretty great one.
It was already 1080p 60fps on Switch so I'm not sure how much more you can improve a port in this case.

The inklings are probably a most. Maybe an ARMS rep.

I'd really like to see costumes. They can even sell them if they wanted to. Can't imagine it's much work and it would make fans pretty happy. Don't know why they thought anyone wanted Mii costumes. Especially Mii costumes for characters that were already in smash?
The various link incarnations (BOTW, OoT, SS) is a good example. Inkling costumes making them like Marie, Callie, and off the hook would be good too.
ARMS can have a costume for Spring Man, Ribbon girl, and maybe a few of the other with similar body types like MinMin.

Try and get all the DLC and all the content from both 3DS and Wii U versions. Remake some 3DS stages or just port them over.

I'd like more single player content too.
Doesn't need to be subspace, but something cool. I think Melee had a cool mission mode which I'm not sure was as good in Smash 4.

Ridley, jesus christ dude puts in so much overtime in the metroid franchise he's by far the biggest Nintendo character missing from the playable roster.

Single player needs to be improved in a big way.

I really do want another subspace emissary type mode , though ditch the original enemies for things taken from the Nintendo properties included.

Ex-Psych

I feel like the inclusion of Ryu in smash adds new possibilities in combat for other characters (Two final smash, actions depending on specific control stick movements(half circles, quarter circles)).

As for characters, Sora would be nice. Cloud got in, why not him?

A singleplayer mode with platforming and cutscenes like Subspace Emissary.

The Miiverse Stage to still be in with 500 drawings saved for each fighter included (each image is 3KB).

1300312103499626127.png

Dixie Kong, Impa, Ridley, Elma, Wonder Red, Shantae and Travis Touchdown.

6-8 DLC characters a year.

DLC discounts for the more you buy of it.

The number of DLC characters you have cuts the price of them by $0.25.

1st Character: $5
2nd: $4.75
3rd: $4.50

To a maximum of a $2 discount to $3.

A fourth Miu fighter who is a mage. All Miu fighters now have more move customization.

Omega/For Glory stage variations having platforms as well.

Ivellios

Aside from more character and stages, i would really like for Nintendo to do something new and creative like they have done with Zelda BoTW and Mario Odyssey. A single/coop campaign better than space emissary for example.

Melee-esque physics. Everything else is fluff if the game doesn't feel satisfying to play.

This is never, ever going to happen.

I'd like to see actual character costumes. I've wanted it since Melee and we've gotten a few characters with alternate outfits but I want the whole cast to have 3-5 outfits instead of just palette swaps. Maybe even have low poly outfits for the original cast as an extra unlockable.

And if we're adding characters I want Melia or Elma.

Battlefield-esque "Omega" stages. As someone that almost exclusively plays Smash 1v1 online nowadays, Final Destination only is not only getting boring, but is straight up imbalanced for many match-ups.

Renna Hazel

Stages that aren't stupid. I used to love playing most stages in the original and Melee but they've gone too far with some of the gimmicks. I find more casual players find this frustrating as well. I'm tired of playing Final Destination mode.

Also, Dixie Kong.

JazzmanZ

- More alts. This could be a good way to get representation to franchises lacking in it, and buff up the roster without actually creating new characters. For example, make Paula a Ness alt, or Dr. Stewart a Captain Falcon art.

I think Sakurai would do costumes for the pre-exsisting characters then put another different character as an alt. Bowser jr. and Alph being the exceptions

Something like say, Sports Peach or Pajama Ness rather then say Slippy over Fox, or Pachisiru over Pikachu

My most wanted newcomer for a while now has been Professor Layton, then there's the obvious addition of Splatoon characters which will be exciting, and I'm always up for new stages/trophies/assist trophies that we get in each game at least since Brawl. Not too fused about single player, SSE was fine and why not try and one-up that in 5? Better than not having one at all, albeit I loved the last game(s) despite the lack of an adventure mode or something.

The gameplay/graphics were great in the last ones so I don't see a need for a revolutionary addition. I don't think I'll be overly picky.

-Battlefield form for all stages.

-For Glory should randomly select from list of accepted neutral stages to play on instead of just FD all the time.

-Netcode improvements for matches with more than two players.

-Invite online friends to play 2v2 matchmaking as a party.

-Some number of new/returning characters. 4+ would be nice.

-Get some gimmick stages that are actually fun. By that, I mean bring back Poke Floats, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar Depths, and Big Blue from Melee.

-Fountain of Dreams and Pokemon Stadium 1

-Consolidate all 3DS and Wii U stages

-Stage hazard toggle.

-Easier earning of custom specials. Maybe allow custom specials online if they don't break the balance.

-Buff Ganondorf.

- Drop Lucina, Roy, and Corrin. 3 FE characters is enough, and 2 clones are not needed. (Corrin is far more a flavor of the month thing, especially because Sakurai pretty much said he is an advertisement).

- Proper Donkey Kong representation. DK has got to be the least represented franchise considering its the second largest. Dixie, or K. Rool needs to be a character.

- Metroid needs another character, and I vote Dark Samus considering the Prime series is still relevant (Prime 4 coming) and Ridley doesn't seem to be happening. The Assist trophy already gives a basic idea of how it would play.

- Takamaru needs to get the Little Mac treatment and become a character.

- Stage Hazard toggle. No reason not to have it when literally everything else is customization.

- Change or remove custom moves. Fiz how the drop rates work, or remove them. They arent fun to get in 4, and if they can't fix it, why waste the dev time and cost?

- Alternate outfits for tons of characters. A game celebrating Nintendo characters and less than a handful have alternate outfits? Pffft.

- Inkling and Springman

- Link is visually his BotW incarnation as well as Zelda. Shieks outfit can also be based on BotW, and Ganon doesn't HAVE to be designed from BotW. They don't NEED to match.

- Declone characters further. I don't care if people are used to Ganon being a clone, hes ass, and it makes sense to give him something more from his many source materials.

- The return of transformations. With custom moves, there HAS to be a way to accommodate this. Transform can be a fourth custom Down+B for Zelda and Sheik, that way their Brawl and Smash 4 movesets are options for those that want either. Ditto Pokemon Trainer. Samus would be tricker, but Custom final smashes would take care of that.

Transformations are boring and don't add anything to a characters gameplay. If you could combo moves from 1 form to the other, sure, but thats work I don't think Sakurai wants to bother with (As evidence of him removing them from the game).

Orb

Doom Slayer

Seriously though, i really want a Subspace sequel or equivalent campaign. Imagine Bayonetta and Zero Suit tag team against jobbers

Nicky Ali

New characters

Realistic:
- ARMS fighters
- Splatoon inklings
- Ice Climbers (returning)

Unrealistc:
- BANJO & KAZOOIE BAYBEEE

Smash 4 as a base, no need to reinvent 50 characters all over again. All that manhours and money could be used instead to expand that game to ludicrous amount of content. I'm talking 80+ characters (30 new), single player mode with cutscenes like brawl, etc.

Smasher89

less glitch fixing (unless stuff like the wario momentum and rage kills), and i guess the removal of rage as a mechanic since it makes it waaaaay to hard to learn
coming from a players that play ice climbers for difficulty and technical stuff

Botw link and zelda character model. Also offer character alternative costumes rather than just colour change. Give Zelda alternative costumes based on other characters like impa in hyrule warrior.
Some new single player mode instead of the terrible board game
Remove clone characters for better range of characters.
Want king k tool, some metroid addition, bring Pokemon trainer back with sun and moon pokemons.
Guest cameos can be anyone. Try to keep mega man and sonic though.

silentbum

Neo Member
I'm in agreement with most of the stuff from the first post.

More Stages: Don't just do the bare minimum and cut back on a lot of the lazy "fly-through" stages where it's just two or three platforms hovering through locales (think Delfino Plaza or the Animal Crossing stage). A lot of the fun of Smash are the references and callbacks, so the idea of stages set in specific places in Nintendo's existing universes is super fun. Bring the Safari Zone to life, have a caravan of trainers throwing bait out to cause a Ryhorn stampede, etc. Get creative with the stages and what you can do in them.

Travis Touchdown: They'd have to cut back on a lot of his overly sexual gags, but he'd be an awesome character to play as and he's made his home predominantly on Nintendo consoles. Work with Suda.

Certain character customization: I really dig the idea of Alts as mentioned before, but for characters where customization is a huge part of their games (Villager or a potential Travis Touchdown), let us dive into a custom character slot and change outfits, hair-styles, etc.

Single-player mode: Emissary in Brawl had problems, but it was definitely a step in the right direction. Smash 4 feels kinda stale without any attempt even made in the direction of a single-player mode.

Phu

Banned
The ability to turn off stage hazards/bosses while keeping the platforms and other stage features.

Also Ridley, believe in the Direct.

•Inklings

•ARMS Rep (want Helix or Mummy, would take Spring or Ribbon)

•Ice Climbers

•K. Rool

•Whoever else Sakurai wants (another FE waifu? Rabbid? Dark Dark Pit?)

•More, less gimmicky stages

•UNLOCK ALL CUSTOM MOVES FROM THE GET GO

•
Ganon buffs

•
Shovel Knight

Anything else is just icing on the cake.

Smash already has so many options and so much content it's hard to think of what more they can add to the mix. I guess I'll try though, here's my wishlist:

- Adventure Mode
- More music mixing options (e.g. My Music could be tied to series. So both Fire Emblem stages should have access to all Fire Emblem music, instead of how currently Castle Siege gets the Brawl FE tracks while Coliseum gets new ones)
- Alternate skins for each character
- Bring back unlockables! With an option to unlock everything from the start.
- Whole Splatoon universe. Playable Inklings, a stage (Maybe Kelp Dome, The Reef, Blackbelly Skatepark, or probably they'll just do Urchin Underpass), Callie and Marie assist trophy, tons of music.
- Jet Set Radio and Sonic Rush music on the Splatoon stage.
- At least one new stage for most of
- Two stages for each of the third party universes. Stardust Speedway/Speed Highway/City Escape for Sonic, China Street for Street Fighter, Northern Crater for FFVII, Noatun for Bayonetta.
- More content for the Street Fighter and Final Fantasy universes. Chun Li and Dan/Sakura + Tifa/Aerith, ChocoMog as assist trophies, more music, some items.
- Bring back Snake and the Metal Gear universe. Bonus if Castlevania joins too.
- Custom moves shouldn't be randomly collected anymore. That was dumb.
- It'd be really cool if they expanded custom moves into full-on alternate movesets, or at least swapping some of a characters' moves for alternatives. This would probably be a good way to, for example, have the Zelda and Metroid characters acknowledge some of their skills and abilities that aren't represented yet.
- I wouldn't mind if they revive the Pokemon Trainer concept, this time with one from Hoenn, one from Unova, and one from Alola. That way the three regions that never got a playable representative in Smash finally get their due. The alternate skins can swap trainer designs for each of the playable trainers in those games.
- I have no idea how doable it is, but more fighting modes like a tag-team option for example would be awesome. Maybe have something like KOF's strikers where you can designate one Assist Trophy to your team.
- Reduce the heavy reliance on RNG for certain unlockables (e.g. trophies) by having the ability to buy some outright from a list, using in-game money, or something like that.

More than anything I'm curious as to how they'll implement Breath of the Wild stuff. Having skins for Zelda and Link seems obvious. I dunno if they'll redo Link's moveset too much (unless they do that alternate moveset idea) but I think they could easily find a way to implement the champions, having their powers be an item or Assist Trophy. A stage seems like it'd be tough to narrow down... Something on the overworld is obvious but seems too straightforward. Maybe have one stage represent the Hyrule overworld, another be based on the shrines/Divine Beasts? Hyrule Castle would be a great choice too.

My dream adventure mode would be one with levels based on specific games. Like for example a Mario section that was a remix of Mario 3, a Zelda section based on Zelda II, etc.

Yesss. This would be awesome.

ASaiyan

Banned
In terms of new characters?

-Inklings
-Spring Man / Ribbon Girl
-Decidueye
-Ridley (come on, Daddy Sakurai)
-Bomberman
-Travis Touchdown
-A second Bamco character (Heihachi? Lloyd Irving?)

Also bring back Icies, remove all the clones, and make sure Bayonetta is still in (I voted for her so hard and still can't believe it happened, lol).

Definitely not in the minority. Subspace was a great idea and I really wish they'd consider doing it again. Had some really impressive cutscenes too.

Jettison Smash Party into the fiery pits of hell as it was neither fun nor fit into the mold of Smash Bros series.
Huh, I actually liked that mode. It was a fun thing to play at parties with people who had little familiarity with the game. Smash Run definitely beats it though; I still turn on Kirby Air Ride every now and then for the mode that it's based on (City Trial).

rabbid peach
Wow, um, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm okay with this idea? Another ranged character like Duck Hunt would be super annoying to play against though, lol.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Jettison Smash Party into the fiery pits of hell as it was neither fun nor fit into the mold of Smash Bros series. Also give me Wonder Red, Travis Touchdown and Saki from Sin and Punishment as playable characters.

Oh if Sonic is to come back as a playable character at least change his side B as it's no different from his down B.

Make more unique outfits for characters. For a series that's essentially a fanservice crossover, the costumes and outfits are lacking. Where are my multiple incarnations of Zelda characters, Tuxedo Mario, Hipster Dad Bowser, Doctor Luigi, Summer Swimsuit Corrin, Famicom Marth, Classic Pit, Ash Greninja, Female Pikachu, Biker Rosalina, anyone?

Also some Takamaru

snake, Snake?, SNAKEEEEE!!!!!

- Bring back Snake and the Metal Gear universe. Bonus if Castlevania joins too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
  • A new Game & Watch stage - there's was hundreds of the things, in all shapes and sizes. There must be something new you can do without having to recycle the same stage over and over.
  • The ability to use series music across all stages for that series.
  • Stunfisk as a assist Pokémon.
  • Removing being able to unlock duplicate custom moves - it just wastes everyone's time. Heck, make them easier to unlock, like saying tying them to clearing certain tasks with that character e.g. custom neutrals unlocked from clearing classic mode.
  • Custom outfits colours - we've seen this in other games. Nothing fancy, just picking a colour for certain select regions of their costumes.

Top Bottom