• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what would you like to see in Metroid Prime 4?

Neff

- Some more third person stuff outside of the Morph Ball and Space Jump.
- Some cool new mechanics I'm not expecting which preferably don't include visors.
- A more 'Japanese' look.
- Clever use of the Joy-Con features.

All of which I think are not only quite reasonable but also probable.

I'm open to a whole host of things as long as it's not inspired by Other M, Nintendo's recent forays into Open World structure and, again, Other M's overbearing storytelling drivel.

cobalt10

Neo Member
Want
1. Originality of MP1
2. Atmosphere/Isolation/tone + powerful beams/upgrades of MP2
3. Motion/ship controls + (maybe) world travel of MP3
4. 900p/60fps + rest of switch power used to push graphics as hard as possible
5. Increased difficulty; MP1/3 were too easy.

Don't Want
1. Beams that are barely used/needed (MP1)
2. Too much backtracking (MP1)
3. Lack of several beams (MP3)

I don't think they need to reinvent the wheel too much with MP4 but rather give us some more of the same considering it's been over a decade since MP3.

Redmond Barry

Neo Member
I'm open to a whole host of things as long as it's not inspired by Other M, Nintendo's recent forays into Open World structure and, again, Other M's overbearing storytelling drivel.

I can't see that being an issue, not after the backlash that game received over the years, especially not after the release of Samus Returns, which in many ways feels like a repudiation of Other M.

What may be of concern is Tanabe et al. putting far too much focus on the Galactic Federation at the expense of an atmosphere and isolation.

I'd like a 3rd person view, which would allow for greater mobility options. It would be nice to see some brand new abilities we've never seen. I want a dark, oppressive atmosphere and a strong feeling of isolation.

Want
1. Originality of MP1
2. Atmosphere/Isolation/tone + powerful beams/upgrades of MP2
3. Motion/ship controls + (maybe) world travel of MP3
4. 900p/60fps + rest of switch power used to push graphics as hard as possible
5. Increased difficulty; MP1/3 were too easy.

Don't Want
1. Beams that are barely used/needed (MP1)
2. Too much backtracking (MP1)
3. Lack of several beams (MP3)

I don't think they need to reinvent the wheel too much with MP4 but rather give us some more of the same considering it's been over a decade since MP3.

Sounds perfect. Yes on the atmosphere and having relevant beams. 900p would be the perfect balance between resolution and fidelity. Any kind of motion controls.. even gyro would be worth it. The pascal/x3 switch variant could then push it to a full 1080p via later patch as well.
I don't mind the back tracking if its back to a world/area, but it leads to completely different dungeon/area.

Astral Dog

- Some more third person stuff outside of the Morph Ball and Space Jump.
- Some cool new mechanics I'm not expecting which preferably don't include visors.
- A more 'Japanese' look.
- Clever use of the Joy-Con features.

All of which I think are not only quite reasonable but also probable.
More Japanese than this?
images

Astral Dog

I can't see that being an issue, not after the backlash that game received over the years, especially not after the release of Samus Returns, which in many ways feels like a repudiation of Other M.

What may be of concern is Tanabe et al. putting far too much focus on the Galactic Federation at the expense of an atmosphere and isolation.
Samus Returns is a remake.
That said as long as Team Ninja isn't involved and its called Metroid Prime 4 we clear its something different (than Other M)

cireza

No, BotW is an ambitious game. You don't even realize why there are 900 of these "poos" in there.
You don't have to like the game but calling it "lazy" is ridiculous.
I find the game-design lazy, I already gave a detailed explanation in another thread. That's my opinion, you can answer "No" fifty times if you want, it will stay the same.

'Heart of Darkness' narrative, seeing the whole story unfold from Ridley's perspective.
Lootboxes (0.1% chance of gettiing GravitySuit early in the game!!!!!!!)

Redmond Barry

Neo Member
Samus Returns is a remake.

Sure it is. But it's not a slavish recreation of that game either. What I'm getting at when I say that SR feels like a repudiation of OM is that there were plenty of opportunities to make it OM-like but the development team by and large didn't take them, and in some instances it even seems like they went out of their way to address perceived issues with that game. For example,
Ridley, who was nowhere in the original M2, is now present and sporting armor that is a rather clear acknowledgment of the Primes; Samus makes quick work of him without a moment's hesitation, making the whole thing come off like a rebuttal to Other M's infamous PTSD scene

Anyway, I don't think it's a question of what perspective Metroid Prime 4 is going to be. It's probably going to be first person because that is one of if not the defining feature of the Prime sub-series. To do away with that would be a very controversial and puzzling decision, one they've never taken even when making a spin-off as "out there" as Federation Force, unless you count Pinball.

Something doesn't sit well with me about it being called "Prime 4".

I think the first game was fantastic and Echoes was good but Corruption didn't really do it for me. And also it just gives me this feeling that it's more or less a continuation of antiquated game mechanics. I want something fresh like BoTW. But I doubt this will get the kind of love and detail that Zelda received.

Metroid is treated too often like the bastard child of Nintendo's IPs and it hurts my soul.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Given the short development, and urgency to get this out, I'm not expecting a lot.

I wonder what Retro is doing..

NihoB

Neo Member
I would like the Prime series to die off as I personally hated the whole FPS aspect of it. Dedicate the time and energy for the Metroid brand and do either HD 2D like Rayman Origins or 2.5D like Samus Returns. I'd also would like this to happen for Megaman X series but that's for another time.

https://youtu.be/qApEgUxp58k?t=98

Suggestions proposed back in 2002 when Prime 1 was released:
  • Design a movement system that can emulate the sensations, agility and speed of the 2D Metoids in First Person View.
  • Full Body Awarness in First Peson. Instead of being just a floating gun and helmet, Samus body is actually rendered and interacts with the game wold. The player can see parts of the suit when manipulating the view.
  • Samus has a basic set of abilities from the begining and the game can be completed with them.
  • Devs could also opt to offer massive environments to explore since technology is ready for it.
Beg to differ, Samus Returns:
  • Brought Sakamoto back to supervise the game.
  • Had a new take on the Melee system that debuted with Other M.
  • Brought back manual aiming which we saw for the first time in non first person game with Other M.
  • Had cinematic angles during gameplay sequences like Other M.
Samus Returns repudiates both Fusion and Other M when it ditches it's character and plot focus.

I wish they could bring IR aiming back. They cood likely do so with a software update
How could they achieve that? i' ve been thinking about the turning the right Joycon thing but im not so sure. i don't think the IR Sensor is good enough to work for reorientation when the joycon is held normally.

I would like the Prime series to die off as I personally hated the whole FPS aspect of it. Dedicate the time and energy for the Metroid brand and do either HD 2D like Rayman Origins or 2.5D like Samus Returns. I'd also would like this to happen for Megaman X series but that's for another time.
This is i don't understand. Why some needs to "die off" when it offers something meaningful to the series and when both could be viable?

Top Bottom