• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you say about a hypothetical Tanimura-directed DSIV set for 2018/2019?

GrayChild

First of all that doesn't imply this game will happen.

As far as we know, Miyazaki does not want to work on a Souls game for the time being, and his interests are pointed towards a non-dark fantasy game. However, I believe that the demand for a new Dark Souls game will become very high approximately a year, or a year and a half after the release of DSIII.

And before anyone jumps at Tanimura, blaming him for how Dark Souls II turned out to be, please check out the following interview snippet:

Tanimura: Yes, this game actually went through quite a troubled development process. Due to a number of factors we were actually forced to re-think the entire game midway into development. We really had to go back to the drawing board and think once more about what a Dark Souls game should be. It was at that point that I took on my current role, overseeing the entirety of the game including the art direction. To ensure we created the game both we and the fans wanted it was completely necessary, but it did of course create a problem. We had to decide what to do with the designs and maps that had been created up to that point. Ideally we’d start again from scratch but of course we were under time constraints so instead we had to figure out how to repurpose the designs in our newly reimagined game. This meant everything from deciding new roles for characters to finding ways to slot locations into the world map.

You can check out more details in the following article:

http://peterbarnard1984.tumblr.com/post/113163062955/dark-souls-2-design-works-translation

Personally, I would love to see Tanimura and rest of the DSII team have another try with the franchise. Once they have the tech nailed down, and with their previous experience with the franchise, they should be able to create an amazing game even without Miyazaki's supervision. The DLC areas as well as the improvements they made in SotFS show they are more than capable of having another take on the series. Finally considering how many of the DSII concept artworks never made it into the game, it would be even better to bring these ideas back, as they are too good to be left behind:

dXxwCXp.jpg

Loving these Beksinski vibes.

... I would say yes?
Was pretty disappointed that those concept art pieces didn't seem to influence the direction of the game at all. Except the middle one likely became Earthen Peak.

Eolz

Dark Souls needs to stop at 3 for a good while if not forever imo.
Maybe this team could try something else but close instead, like Miyazaki did with Bloodborne?

Manu

I'd rather have Tanimura handle Bloodborne 2 and let DS rest, either until next gen or for good.

CHC

I wouldn't say no, it's not really a series I'm going to get tired of unless they get extremely aggressive with the releases. Dark Souls II was still a very high quality game in most sense, just not to the same degree as its own predecessor.

But I will say that three is a good, round number, and that I am more than fine with them letting the series rest and doing something else for a little while.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'll take them at their word and assume that all else being equal, Dark Souls 3 is the last Dark Souls we will see out of them.

That said, a Bloodborne type situation, very Souls-inspired (Souls in all but name, really) but in a totally different setting? Yeah, I'll take it. I loved Dark Souls 2.

aadiboy

I thought the implication was that From Soft wasn't going to do another Souls game, not just Miyazaki? Which imo, is the best route to go.

I would say no. Not because of DS2 or anything but because I'd like to see what he can do with something entirely his own.

I would rather have the Souls series rest a bit and let the focus be on Bloodborne 2.

There have been 4 Souls games in 7 years (and only 6,5-6 years if you count the original NA/EU release). I can wait a couple of years if it means they can start to rethink the formula.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Bloodborne 2. I think he'd handle it very well. It could even profit from Tanimura's quantity, quantity, quantity approach. A BB game with hundreds of weapons? Hnnnng.

mAcOdIn

I'd rather the Souls game go in a new direction.

I'd like a sci-fi setting where it's not about souls so to speak but nanomachines or some shit and you gotta go recover your accumulated nanomachines to power up or some crap. Hell, it could even be more varied and matrix like with maybe you collecting "code" instead of souls and that'd allow you to visit a ton of themes. I'm tired of the fantasy setting.

Manu

Bloodborne 2. I think he'd handle it very well. It could even profit from Tanimura's quantity, quantity, quantity approach. A BB game with hundreds of weapons? Hnnnng.

That's not Tanimura. Tanimura's the guy who had to stitch up a game from the pieces the previous director made.

I'd rather he do his own Bloodborne; a Souls game that isn't part of DS and is it's own new territory.

I'd like to see him do a game with freedom to implement his ideas and not bastardized Miyazaki ideas

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
That's not Tanimura. Tanimura's the guy who had to stitch up a game from the pieces the previous director made.

Was it? I was under the impression, that Shibuya was the guy who wanted the game to have an actual story, with a main male character (with a wife and kid). Well the more you know.

I didn't mean it as a slight though, DSII's amount of content keeps me playing it even today! Fashion Souls is at it's top here.

Datschge

First of all Miyazaki is the president now so every project will go through him anyway.

From what we know DS2 started out being much less Souls-like than it ended up. Tanimura was overseeing everything only from half the development time, and we know Miyazaki joined as supervisor only later as well. So with Miyazaki having input from the start it should be nice to see a Souls game with Tanimura directing its development from the beginning instead only later on as with DS2.

Wasn't that "last dark souls game" a mistranslation ?

Dark Souls 3 isn't the last in the series - but it is a turning point

Dark Souls 3 Isn't The Last Game, Devs Say

Also, in a year, we will probably have that DLC that leaked ?
Hype train restored?
Also what DLC leak?

OT: I think a Beksinski* inspired souls game spin off would be better IMO and let Miyazaki handle Dark Souls. Really happy it won't be the last though, these games are special and nothing else really compares.

Arkeband

Banned
The DLC of Dark Souls 3 made it pretty clear that Miyazaki would rather let the series end, rather than endlessly milking it and chasing some unobtainable standard.

Unless literally everyone interpreted it wrong.

I expect there to be a DS4 regardless, although I'm even less excited for that than I was for 3. I'm much more interested in new worlds/IP's, as Bloodborne with its DLC gave me the experience I was craving since DS and DeS.

The fun of Souls is exploring new and mysterious worlds. Callbacks are great, but when that's all your game is, then it's time to end it.

Laiza

Seeing folks asking for a BB2 is kind of ticking me off.

How about something for those of us who aren't diehard Sony fans?

I don't want DSIV or BB2. Would rather see multiple new projects from FROM. Could still be somewhat similar to the Souls games at heart, but I'd like to see what he and hypothetical team could make without being constrained to an established world and lore.

Gbraga

Seeing folks asking for a BB2 is kind of ticking me off.

How about something for those of us who aren't diehard Sony fans?

What does that have to do with anything? People love Bloodborne because it's one of the greatest games ever created, not because it's on PS4.

I don't personally want a sequel at all, and I think a new IP is the way to go, but it's not surprising that a game that was so well received has fans asking for more.

Laiza

What does that have to do with anything? People love Bloodborne because it's one of the greatest games ever created, not because it's on PS4.

I don't personally want a sequel at all, and I think a new IP is the way to go, but it's not surprising that a game that was so well received has fans asking for more.
Because it's annoyingly self-centered and excludes every fan of the series that hasn't invested in the PS4 ecosystem, obviously.

Exclusivity should remove the possibility of any third party dev developing a sequel from anyone's consideration.

Much better off thinking about a new IP or a straight Souls sequel than that.

Gbraga

Because it's annoyingly self-centered and excludes every fan of the series that hasn't invested in the PS4 ecosystem, obviously.

Exclusivity should remove the possibility of any third party dev developing a sequel from anyone's consideration.

This is ridiculous. So they shouldn't ask for a sequel to their favorite games because other people don't have a PS4? Really?

A lot of people still only own a PS3, should we never move on from that, then? Or is it acceptable to leave people behind as long as it's not you?

Hope this thread isn't derailed by people complaining about Bloodborne's exclusivity.

Currently playing SOTFS, on a break of sorts, and I think they should give a BB-esque game (Dark Souls in all but name) a try.

MegaMelon

Quite the bump heh.

I'd like to see Bloodbornes mechanics in a new souls like IP but not a Bloodborne 2. I think with Dark Souls 3 they really nailed how to do good boss fights so if they can just get rid off the gimmick ones or at least not put as many I'll be happy. Take BBs mechanics (strafe/guns/rally), DS3s approach to bosses (like champion gundyr/twin princes/dragonslayer armour/etc) and DS1s pseudo open world and I think we would see gaming perfection. Maybe throw in Demons Souls varied ost instead of overdoing the chanting and choir.

FiveSide

Banned
I'm down. It's a strong formula and DS2, despite its issues, is much better than most fans give it credit for. Especially the DLC which is legitimately my favorite content in the series.

As the series goes on, later entries might not capture the same mystique and grandeur of the earlier games. But I think the gameplay will continue to improve, and they'll probably still design some great boss fights.

Though I have a soft spot for the earlier entries, DS3 is probably the best game in the series, all things considered. Bring on DSIV and give the DSII director more to work with, sure.

Either 2018 or 2019 works. Maybe I'd prefer 2019 just to make sure they have time to really polish it up.

Eusis

It's not as if the PS4 is some weird niche platform or even that disconnected from the Souls base that started with Demon's. Fair to prefer they not make a sequel to an exclusive, but not so much to shoot down people who'd want more of that IP.

I'd actually be ok with another fantasy setting game that just shed off the Dark universe entirely. Think of going from Demon's Souls, a completely new universe meant new quirks and surprises for how things worked and what we saw even with the same type of setting, so repeating that sort of shift would be good in giving people what they fundamentally want without beating the series to death.

But your position sounds self-centered also.

But I would like a new IP as well. Bloodborne is really great but I've never had the itch for a sequel.

Top Bottom