• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats is yours the most "Japanese" game

keraj37

We all love Japanese culture and traditions.
Its people are highly intelligent and cultural, and somehow spiritual in the way we in the West cannot understand fully.
That is why we also love games that depict that image.

For me the most "Japanese" game so far was Total War: Shogun 2.
Great atmosphere, music, cultural hints and history facts (and good strategic game).

But now, number one for me in that manner is Ghost of Tsushima.
oHeYR9v.jpg

The ambient music, the spiritual approaches into some game design decisions, the historical and cultural facts embedded into the core gameplay.
The game is truly "Japanese" in my feeling.

Well, I am sure there are some Japanese NeoGaf members here, so they are most welcome to comment, but in the end Ghost of Tsushima is how I feel Japan.

What is yours?
conversation-good.gif

Way of the samurai 3. Underrated game with a great period setting imo. Has this "tailor-your-own-narrative" mechanic going for it with multiple branching paths. Your choices will determine how various characters' paths intertwine and what story unfolds.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me its Sekiro,, from its atmosphere and brutality in Sengoku period with dead bodies and scar of battles everywhere.

Another one with 13 Sentinels specially going 80s time period and 1940s during the war.

Mr Hyde

I don't know much about japanese culture or history but to me, "japanese" games that you feel can only come from Japan, is wacky, philosophical and bat shit insane action games like Drakengard or Nier. But if it were something that should evoke japanese culture or history I would say Ghostwire Tokyo, which is a criminally underrated horror gem that feels japanese in every way possible, from gameplay to story to character and creature design.

digdug2

Ninja Gaiden on NES is the one that still gives me that feeling. The anime-like cutscenes really ensnared me as a lad. I didn't know much about Japanese culture until later in life, so this game was filled with intrigue and my 5 year old brain couldn't fully wrap my head around what was happening.

I think Tokyo Mirage Sessions is my game like this. The big Atlus RPGs make you feel like you are experiencing another culture, but the Japanese Idol stuff along with SMT gameplay really does it for me.

Play the uncensored version on Wii U for the real experience.

Last edited:

deathsaber

LOL definitely Gal Gun. An on rails pseudo lightgun-like shooter where you have an army of anime school girls madly in love with you (the protagonist), who are chasing you down to proposition you and give you their "love confession". You fight them off by shooting them with a pheromone "gun" which essentially makes them orgasm and stops them in their tracks. Combine this multiple paths and some dating sim elements, and you definitely have a barn burner. Only in Japan.

R.9465a8e6ffecc2ab1b128a11ee174afd

Last edited:
Ghost is a strange one because although it’s obviously very Japanese in setting and style the underlying gameplay and game design is very much western. I enjoyed the game well enough but it was very Ubisoft.

For me it’s probably something like Ocarina of Time, Gran Turismo, Armoured Core or Persona.

Mitsurux

Samurai Showdown (Samurai Spirits). The Music and time period. (mixed in with some more fantastical elements..)

hinch7

Yakuza series.
Yeah, this is mine too. The series has a lot of the Japanese cultural references and also tropes in there, with humor to boot. And the city of Kamurochō based on real life cities in Japan.

If we count other wacky, out there Japanese games there's too many to list lol.

Last edited:

nush

Yeah, this is mine too. The series has a lot of the Japanese cultural references and also tropes in there, with humor to boot. And the city of Kamurochō based on real life cities in Japan.

If we count other wacky, out there Japanese games there's too many to list lol.
The mundane is just as relevant as the wacky in this series.

Vyse

Gold Member
I would have to say Seaman on the Dreamcast. That was a trippy game my friends. Loved that era of Sega.

hinch7

The mundane is just as relevant as the wacky in this series.
Yeah thats what I like about the series. Exploring the city and more rural areas, doing random tasks and listening to NPC's is just a good vibe. The stories in there are pretty good too; consistant and have a lot of heart in them. And the way characters are and portrayed are very different to those made in the west. And what I find interesting about the games. That and the funny moments, silly mini games, crazy action and fights.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Goemon on N64. That shit was crazy. That intro and the humour was just peak Japanese weirdness when I first played it back like 98 or whenever. Plasma!

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Non-wacky, it’s definitely Sekiro.

Wacky, way too many to choose from. Some great examples here, I’ll add Virtue’s Last Reward for some of the most Japanese designs you can imagine, plus a kind of storytelling that’s pretty much unimaginable in the west.

Top Bottom