• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the biggest drop in quality between a game and its immediate follow-up?

The Dink

To me, the answer to this question will always be DMC -> DMC2.
Games like DA2, FFXIII, and Chrono Cross can still be enjoyed and have fans.

DMC pioneered an entire new genre. Meanwhile, the only people that like DMC2 are trolls.

KJRS_1993

Supreme Commander to Supreme Commander 2 is one that stands out quite well to me. Black Ops 2 to Black Ops 3 was also a bit of a step down, in both campaign and multiplayer.

Labadal

I have a few:

Devil May Cry 1 -> 2
Final Fantasy XII -> XIII
Dragon Quest VIII -> IX
Grandia 2 -> Xtreme and 3

I could also include Resident Evil 3 to 4, but it's not a drop in quality, just a change in the series direction that I hated. RE4 is pretty good.
I forgot about Dragon Quest IX. How disappointed I was...

Another one is Unlinited SaGa. Dear God in heaven. This one is one of the biggest disappointments for me. Presentation was top notch, but the gameplay was on another level of bad.

tiijj

Not immediate.

qhZh0fm.png

Yeah but isn't that a visual novel type of game rather than the conventional JRPG for both chrono trigger and chrono trigger.

I always see radical dreamer as a side game like Mass Effect 1 immediate follow up is Mass Effect Galaxy rather than Mass Effect 2.

MagnesD3

MGSV is also vastly superior to MGS4 on every level except for story, and even that's debatable.

Not really Mgsv has a bad story, repetitive gameplay and a huge empty open world for no reason, its easily the worst mainline game in the series. Not to mention micro-transactions and waiting for the chopper takes forever.

Not really Mgsv has a bad story, repetitive gameplay and a huge empty open world for no reason, its easily the worst mainline game in the series. Not to mention micro-transactions and waiting for the chopper takes forever.

As a directed experience it's fantastic, and nicely varied, but to get as much enjoyment of the actual systems and mechanics out of MGS4 you have to linger in the few open areas in act 1 & 2, delaying progress, trying to mine them for as much gameplay as possible, and there's only so much you can do in the process. It would ultimately feel really disappointing when the few choice areas became a respawn zone that never full reset, or allowed for many approaches beyond trolling the scraps from the same few vantage points.

MGSV's design allows you to do that to an infinite degree, if that's what you enjoy most in the series. I love everything that MGS series does, so MGSV was half of a disappointment for me, but for the part of me that played the MGS1 & 2 demo's hundreds of times in every conceivable way trying to sandbox with the mechanics, and would dick around in MGS3's & MGS4's more open, base areas for hours trolling AI and playing with gadgets/weapons/mechanics/interactions and systems... MGSV was made for me in that regard. I like the mechanic sandbox that MGS has always been built on top of, and MGSV is the absolute pinnacle of that, if nothing else.

PillarEN

I never played these two games but I know it happened to this series UNREAL to UNREAL 2. Could anyone tell me why the second game got trashed?

Modern Warfare 2 was a little worse than 1. Even so I played a great amount f it and got great memories. The drop off from 2 to 3 was huge though. Campaign was nothing close to the previous 2 and none of my friends really bothered with multiplayer shortly after. Last time I played any Call of Duty game.

*Triggered*

Changes from Brawl to Smash 4:

No more tripping (yay!)
No more edgehogging (What's stage control?)
No more chain throws (Good thing, crappy way to implement it)
No more special cancelling in any way (RIP advanced techniques, RIP toon link, RIP samus)
No more Edgeslipping (What's stage control? Better camp the ledge for free, not like i'll be punished for blocking there)
Drastically increased aerial landing lag (Unless you're one of the current S-Tier characters, in which case, you're S-tier)
Drastically reduced Shieldpush (RIP anyone with landing lag)
Drastically increased Shield regeneration (What's shield pressure?)
Drastically astronomically increased roll speed and saftey (Spacing? Nah. Lemme just roll across the stage faster than your character can sprint.)
Drastically increased base knockback on most attacks (Get hit, return to neutral)

Ledge snapping is hilariously generous (Losing? Let me help you!)
No more weakened ledge recovery animation (Losing? Let me help you!)
Everyone can recover from the depths of hell (Losing? Let me help you!)
Edge guarding concept watered down more than ever (Losing? Let me help you!)
Blast zones pushed back 2 miles (Losing? Let me help you!)
Rage mechanic rewards you for being ass (Losing? Let me help you!)
EVERYTHING stage spikes (jank)

tl;dr the mechanics of the game got watered down hard and all the characters are watered down versions of their brawl selves. What the game lost in Metaknight it just gained in Sheik / Cloud / Diddy and pretty much every returning character that was in Brawl is significantly less deep in Smash 4.

Okay, fine. It's not unequivocally superior, but still better than Brawl.

On edgehogging and edgeslipping: While yes, it does mean it's harder to control the stage effectively, I think it also encourages more off-stage play. As in people in Smash 4 are more likely to "go deep" to finish someone off rather than just edgehog them to death. IMO it makes things a bit more interesting.

On landing lag and shieldpush: I think this is a necessary change given utterly ridiculous air dodging and aerial mobility in general is in 4 (something I'm surprised you didn't mention). At least it gives you some chance to punish.

On recovering, blast zones, rage, and stage spikes: Honestly, I'm okay with the generous recoveries in Smash 4, but this stems from me historically playing characters with terrible recoveries in the previous games. Though I can understand the frustration over it because, along with the blast zones being pushed back and the generous ledge grabbing zones, it makes it a lot harder to kill sometimes.

Rage can hurt a bad player as much as it can help one. For example, if you're a better player that's a stock ahead with rage, you're still given a big advantage even if you're at a higher percentage because now you can build damage faster on your opponent and even kill earlier.

And stage spiking goes along with what I said earlier about off-stage fighting. I'm fine with it. Gotta improve that tech game.

I'm going to wholeheartedly agree with you on the rolling and shield recovery time. There definitely it a bit of "let me just roll dodge around the stage and/or shield everything!" Oh, and the knock-back. Makes it difficult to follow-up and keep combos sometimes.

Along with the things I mentioned, I just find Brawl way too slow and floaty. I didn't hate it, but it certainly wasn't fun competitively. And really, a lot of the changes from game to game just boil down to preference. From what you've listed, I'm fine with at least half of those changes. And given that most people prefer Smash 4 to Brawl, it seems everyone else is too.

No way...all the Wii MK games felt like crap to me. Why do i get bumped by a heavy and lose control of my vehicle. Why do i get hit with a shell and have to watch my character flail their arms until they come to a complete stop.

Biased, i hated it

Personally, even though I got used to it, I did not like the physics in Double Dash. The karts felt like I was driving on ice. Also, I can't say many of the tracks were memorable. I can only recall Baby Park, DK Mountain(?), and Mushroom Bridge. Oh, and Rainbow Road of course, but that doesn't count.

EulaCapra

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire -> Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

I just remember firing up Diamond/Pearl and thinking, "You've got two extra buttons, an extra screen, and a friggin' touch screen and it still looks and plays like a GBA port. The fuck."

RBIYF

Neo Member
I never played these two games but I know it happened to this series UNREAL to UNREAL 2. Could anyone tell me why the second game got trashed?

I'll answer that...

The first Unreal raised the bar in terms of visuals in an FPS at the time in early 1998 by offering open lush green outdoor environments on a state of the art engine with some pretty awesome effects that weren't found in any other game, as well as cool and unique weapons....basically it was a sharp contrast to the brownish corridor crawl of stuff like Quake II.

The only other FPS that I can personally think of offered lush and colorful open environments and creative weapons at the time was Turok: Dinosaur Hunter on the N64, though Unreal was more of a technical marvel at the time...but most of all, it was fun, so it wasn't just about the graphics. It was an all around fun sci-fi action game.

Also, like Half-Life that came shortly after it, the game wasn't broken up by abrupt levels as many FPS games at the time tended to do. You didn't just hit a button at the end of one level, then encounter a loading screen, and were suddenly in a new level, instead, each area led seamlessly to a new one, like Half-Life, it gave the impression that you were on a constantly moving through a greater environment with various areas toward the goal of escaping...similar to how Half-Life gave the impression that you were continuously moving through Black Mesa. It's easy to take it for granted now, but back then, the cohesion really added to the atmosphere.

When Unreal II was announced and during development, it seemed to have everything going for it. Legend Entertainment had done the underrated Wheel of Time, which had a pretty cool story for it's era, so it was figured this would help elevate Unreal II's story over it's predecessor. It was also going to be one of the first games on the anticipated Unreal Engine 2. The screens and artwork that came out throughout 2001 and early 2002 made Unreal II look like Unreal on steroids and like it was going to be the most awesome Sci-Fi FPS ever released, with wild alien enemies and weapons, and a variety of open outdoor environments and even the possibility of recruiting a squad. It looked like something almost generation ahead of what we had at the time in 2001 and early 2002. I mean, these are the kind of pre-release screens that were coming out in 2001 and early 2002....

unreal%20II-04.jpg

large01.jpg

unreal2-400.jpg

unreal2screen001lv6.jpg

To a sci-fi action fan back then in 2001 and early 2002, those screens made the game look like it was going to be awesome. It was easy to get caught up in the hype.

Then the game finally released. The story was crap. The gameplay and combat were bland. The weapons were bland. The AI was bad. It consisted more of corridor crawl type levels then cool outdoor combat areas, and even the outdoor areas weren't done well. The game was also very taxing on systems, and even if you could manage to run the game at max settings, it wasn't nearly as impressive as the pre-release screens led one to believe, especially with the poor animation of the game's character models. Oh, and they scrapped multiplayer in the initial release. It was as bland and average a single player FPS game could be at the time...and the initial the lack of multiplayer made it even more of a disappointment.

PseudoViper

Damn the first few posts summed it all up for me.

Mass Effect 1 > Mass Effect 2
Saints Row 2 > Saints Row 3 and 4 was even worse.

Brave Fencer Mushashi > Brave Fencer Musashi 2

IISANDERII

MW2 to Black Ops.
MW2 was created by the original Infinity Ward who made COD into the billion dollar franchise and were at the height of their talents meanwhile Black Ops was made on the old engine, designed by committees, focus groups and twitter feedback.

kurahador

Happen to FF series:
FFVII --> FFVIII
FFIX --> FFX
FFXII --> FFXIII --- the steepest drop.

Star Ocean as well:
SO2 ---> SO3
SO3 ---> SO4
SO4 ---> SO5 --- again, steepest drop.

Square-Enix please.

Happen to FF series:
FFVII --> FFVIII
FFIX --> FFX
FFXII --> FFXIII --- the steepest drop.

Star Ocean as well:
SO2 ---> SO3
SO3 ---> SO4
SO4 ---> SO5 --- again, steepest drop.

Square-Enix please.

The Star Ocean series is such a trainwreck. 1 and 2 were good but... I don't know what the hell happened after.

Forgot an obvious one, Modern Warfare to Modern Warfare 2. That was the turning point for me where I stopped liking the IW games and switched to Treyarch, especially with the first Black Ops being such a vast improvement over MW2.

FACE

Banned
Does Vampire Saviour 2 count? Because it's literally just Vampire Saviour with some of the characters switched out for old ones and a number slapped into the title.
There was also Vampire Hunter 2, which was the same thing but with different characters again.

This is not true, there are a number of (mostly unfortunate) balance and system changes in both games like the removal of throw protection on wake up and aerial chains.

Haganeren

The Star Ocean series is such a trainwreck. 1 and 2 were good but... I don't know what the hell happened after.

Depend of the point of view, i found Star Ocean 1 good especially for the time but Star Ocean 2 is really the most blend J-RPG i could have played with Tales of Eternia

Star Ocean 3 was way better.

IISANDERII

This thread pretty quickly turned into 'Good franchises that had a bad entry.'
Not for me. COD hasn't come close to the quality that was before Activision withheld pay and bonuses from Infinity Ward and Final Fantasy hasn't been near as good since the 16-bit era!

I have a few:

Devil May Cry 1 -> 2
Final Fantasy XII -> XIII
Dragon Quest VIII -> IX
Grandia 2 -> Xtreme and 3

I could also include Resident Evil 3 to 4, but it's not a drop in quality, just a change in the series direction that I hated. RE4 is pretty good.
But Dragon Quest IX is better than VIII

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Man. So many.

Halo to Halo 2
Titanfall to Titanfall 2
Metroid Prime to Prime 2
Uncharted 2 to 3
Gears 3 to Judgment
Street Fighter IV to V
Mario 64 to Sunshine
Mario Kart 64 to Double Dash

But for me, the winner probably goes to Assassin's Creed 2 to 3. With 2 being the pinnacle of the series to 3 being almost universally considered the worst in the series.

Top Bottom