• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game in the franchise?

NMFried

I thought this could be fun.

In your opinion, what are the most lackluster mainline entries in different franchises?

Resident Evil - Resident Evil 6
Metroid - Metroid: Other M
Pokemon - Pokemon Diamond & Pearl

And so on.

EDIT: I think we should count mainline entries only. What say you?

Opinions are fun!

Fury451

Banned
Resident Evil 6 is most definitely not the worst in the franchise that has Operation Raccoon City, Umbrella Corps, Survivor, and Gaiden.

It isn't even the worst mainline/numbered game, that would be Zero.

Imo, naturally.

I also think Uncharted 3 is the weakest in the series despite good set pieces.

Kindekuma

Banned
MY1G6.gif

I can only imagine how this will go.

I will say this. Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass is the worst addition to the franchise. Temple of the Ocean King among various other faults just makes it a pain to play (for me). Skyward Sword takes a close second.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Zero Escape series: Zero Time Dilemma is the weakest game in the series, and it's not even close.

NMFried

Resident Evil 6 is most definitely not the worst in the franchise that has Operation Raccoon City, Umbrella Corps, Survivor, and Gaiden.

It isn't even the worst mainline/numbered game, that would be Zero.

I went ahead and updated the original post to mention mainline series entries only.

enkaisu

Banned
Fallout - Fallout 4
Dragon Age - Dragon Age 2
Silent Hill - Downpour
Final Fantasy - XIII
Metal Gear Solid - V
Star Fox - Assault

Geist-

Halo 4. Halo 5's campaign isn't much better, but the multiplayer might be the best in the series, so it makes up for it.

NMFried

Fallout - Fallout 4
Dragon Age - Dragon Age 2
Silent Hill - Downpour
Final Fantasy - XIII
Metal Gear Solid - V
Star Fox - Assault

I gotta give this one to Star Fox Command. I didn't hate Assault, and I think the TPS mechanic could definitely work, but Command felt so empty to me.

Zero Escape series: Zero Time Dilemma is the weakest game in the series, and it's not even close.

Going from 999 and VLR to ZTD is by far the most intense whiplash I have ever faced from a single series. Still can't believe how hard they dropped the ball on it.

Metal Gear Solid series

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - I might get some shit for this, but as a long time MGS fan, I feel entitled to my opinion. It did a lot of things great to make a fun stealth action game...but in terms of being a Metal Gear game, it was the absolute worst. I don't know if it's because Kojima was restrained in his ability to produce this game, but the lackluster story telling was horrendously disappointing for a MG fan. There were some action set piece moments, but none of them compared to the intrigue, and excitement that took place in previous games. Not to mention I care NOTHING for what characters were in it. plot spoilers
Even if this was a more standard MGS game, I would have thought the story was disappointing, because as soon as it was starting to be introduced, I thought the vocal parasite plot was just dumb. It's something, sure...but come on. This was a series about nuclear equipped walking battle tanks...vocal cord parasites just felt lame in comparison to anything that came before it.

MGSV is the first time the series has made me never care to boot it up again and play it...while I played previous entries multiple times.

Devil May Cry 2 - Devil May Cry
MGS: Peace Walker - MGS
Super Mario Bros. The Lost Level - Mario
Sonic 06/Sonic Boom - Sonic
King of Fighters 94/2001 - King Of Fighters
Street Fighter - Street Fighter
Tekken 4 - Tekken
Command & Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight - Command & Conquer

enkaisu

Banned
I gotta give this one to Star Fox Command. I didn't hate Assault, and I think the TPS mechanic could definitely work, but Command felt so empty to me.

Wow, someone said the worst starfox wasn't Adventures? That's unexpected from this board lol

Assault? Really? Out of all the other games? Command is my least favorite, I'm not even sure Adventures could count either. Would that be like counting Snake's Revenge in the MGS franchise?
I've honestly never played Command, it probably is worse than Assault though.

Also I played Adventures when I was a kid and I liked it!

Star Fox - Assault

No way. Assault is actually a decent game despite some of the control issues for the on-foot missions. In fact, Assault is the direction the series should have taken.

Command is easily the worst game in the franchise. That game is terrible and gave us that AWFUL design for Fox that they insist on using.

Cracklox

There's probably better examples but ima say Dead Space 3. Love the first 2 so much, and the first half or so of 3 was great, and then it kinda fell apart. And kept dragging on and on. So much so I didn't even beat it. Think I got to the second last mission or so, before getting distracted and never gone back to it.

Crayolan

Pokemon-Diamond and Pearl
Zelda-Four Swords
Mario-3D Land (not including spin offs, which I haven't played enough of to say)

GunBR

Super Mario 2
I will never understand why so many people like that game

And another vote to AC III
Actually I never played AC: Black Flag and the later ones because AC III ruined the franchise for me

Infest

Assassin's Creed III
Uncharted Drake's Fortune
Pokemon X/Y
Final Fantasy II
Call of Duty: Ghosts
The WItcher
Devil May Cry 2

Just some that come to mind

uncharted 4

from 2 being GOAT tps action adventure to a fucking rock climbing girl friend talking simulator

This has to be the most wrong opinion I've seen this year, congrats!

Final Fantasy II. Kinda like the freedom of the leveling system because it reminds me of Oblivion but it's a horribly balanced game and not a very satisfying adventure overall. Final dungeon is kinda neat with all it's unique bosses, but the game is kind of a slog with long winding dungeons full of trash encounters. And screw those trap treasure rooms. Don't get me wrong, I do somewhat like the game but it is my least favorite. Finished the PSP release last year after previously completing Famicom, WSC, and PS1 version but I don't plan on ever playing this FF again.

Yoshi's Island DS. Overall quality is night and day compared to its SNES predecessor. Came to mind since my girlfriend and I finally started Woolly World, which has been terrific through two worlds thus far.

Chrono23US

Neo Member
Metal Gear Solid V. Just, uh, don't get me started. The trailers, the hype, the story, just everything about it pre-release was so good. I remember the marathon on the OHN Twitch channel and being excited for it and then it released. Metal Gear Solid 4 is now no longer considered the worst of the franchise and is actually a much better Metal Gear Solid game then V ever will be. Metal Gear Solid V is a good game in it's own right, but as a Metal Gear Solid game, it's absolute trash.

Super Mario 2
I will never understand why so many people like that game

And another vote to AC III
Actually I never played AC: Black Flag and the later ones because AC III ruined the franchise for me

I honestly enjoy the different style of gameplay in SMB2, but even if you don't, you can't deny that it injected a lot of memorable characters and music into the series.

Totally agree about AC3 though lol.

Zelda 2
Uncharted 3
Donkey Kong Country 3
Halo 4 (but haven't played 5)
Metal Gear Solid 2
Mega Man 5
Sonic 06
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Final Fantasy II

RockmanBN

Mega Man X - Mega Man X6
Runescape - Runescape 3
3D Mario - Super Mario Sunshine
Crash Bandicoot - Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex
Spyro - Spyro Enter the Dragonfly
Assassin's Creed - Assassin's Creed 3
Knack - Knack
Sonic - Sonic Chronicles The Dark Brotherhood
3D GTA - Grand Theft Auto 4
Final Fantasy - Final Fantasy VIII

Chrono23US

Neo Member
Metal Gear Solid series

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - I might get some shit for this, but as a long time MGS fan, I feel entitled to my opinion. It did a lot of things great to make a fun stealth action game...but in terms of being a Metal Gear game, it was the absolute worst. I don't know if it's because Kojima was restrained in his ability to produce this game, but the lackluster story telling was horrendously disappointing for a MG fan. There were some action set piece moments, but none of them compared to the intrigue, and excitement that took place in previous games. Not to mention I care NOTHING for what characters were in it. plot spoilers
Even if this was a more standard MGS game, I would have thought the story was disappointing, because as soon as it was starting to be introduced, I thought the vocal parasite plot was just dumb. It's something, sure...but come on. This was a series about nuclear equipped walking battle tanks...vocal cord parasites just felt lame in comparison to anything that came before it.

MGSV is the first time the series has made me never care to boot it up again and play it...while I played previous entries multiple times.

I couldn't have said it better myself, and I tried. This is why I will never be excited or hyped up for a game again.

Dabi

Bioshock 2, AC Unity and MGS V.

Unity was hella disappointing. MGS V and B2 were just great games in godly franchises

Top Bottom