• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with player counts in PC games?

Atomski

Personally I've just feel burned by console focused competative games.

Also I feel like competative games are getting way to oversaturated. There are like 10 amazing multiplayer games out and AAA devs keep trying to make more without hitting all the marks to replace the current Kings. Not to mention they are all chasing that yearly release dollars.. which is one or the first deal breakers.

Console gamers have this weird warped view where they need to constantly be buying the next big thing. Which just does not work for competative gaming. Its like Chess or sports.. they last for a long damn time.

With Battlefield 1, I loved that game at launch and was playing it for a good long while after launch into this spring on a pretty regular basis.

I primarily was playing the Conquest mode most of the time but way too often you go to matchmake into a Conquest game and you end up on an empty server. Again and again, this would happen and there was no server browser for Conquest games so it was always a total crapshoot and more often than not, a waste of time, trying to get into a decently populated Conquest game. And that's not even getting into a specific map or anything.

So that really sapped my interest in keeping up with BF1. Coupled of course with how glacially slow they've been with releasing the DLC. I mean, its almost a year post launch and they'll have only released 2 of their big DLC packs?

And just speculation on why the PC player count might also be low for BF1 or Battlefront- Origin. Origin is fine and all, but I'm just not opening up Origin every day when I want to play a game, like I am with Steam. So I don't see other PC friends playing BF1 unless I'm already on Origin for some reason. And I don't see that the new DLC just released when I'm opening up Steam to play something. I've got to think that the tail end of a game's life gets truncated pretty good by being limited to Origin on PC.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I primarily was playing the Conquest mode most of the time but way too often you go to matchmake into a Conquest game and you end up on an empty server. Again and again, this would happen and there was no server browser for Conquest games so it was always a total crapshoot and more often than not, a waste of time, trying to get into a decently populated Conquest game. And that's not even getting into a specific map or anything.

I think you're mistaken, there has always been a server browser in BF1. It's Operations, not Conquest, that isn't fed by the browser.

-hadouken

All this is pretty distressing, to be honest. Battlefront 2 is coming out soon, and I'd love to play it at 1440p, 144hz, but what's the point if the playerbase drops off a cliff after a couple months?
It's even worse in places like Oz or New Zealand. The gaming community for PC is simply too tiny to properly cater to players interested in AAA. I use PC (and lag up overseas servers when I have to) tho greatly prefer console for the population benefits. No one to play with at 144hz is pretty boring.

Tygamr

I was playing Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 pretty regularly, but I’ve been playing other platforms more lately (Switch, a little 3DS and PS4). Plus, with my backlog I always feel dumb sinking time into competitive focused games rather than finishing off my single player games.

Have yet to check out PUBG, but one of my friends won’t stop trying to get me into it. Been playing Splatoon 2 a decent amount, and that’s about it for competitive games I’m actively playing.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
It's even worse in places like Oz or New Zealand. The gaming community for PC is simply too tiny to properly cater to players interested in AAA. I use PC (and lag up overseas servers when I have to) tho greatly prefer console for the population benefits. No one to play with at 144hz is pretty boring.

In Oz/NZ, the population isn't that much better on the consoles. CoD will always be more populated, but in peak times, I end up in more empty BF1 servers than populated.

The Oz/NZ gaming population, in general, isn't great - I find it easier to get games on the PC actually, simply due to games with MEGA populations, like WoT or what have you.

Titanfall 2 is 10 years old?
BO7rmKK.jpg

TF2 = Team Fortress 2

Sygma

All this is pretty distressing, to be honest. Battlefront 2 is coming out soon, and I'd love to play it at 1440p, 144hz, but what's the point if the playerbase drops off a cliff after a couple months?

I hope EA figures out some way to maintain their player base this time. Aside from hopefully being a better game, I believe all the maps are going to be free this time (unless I'm mistaken). Hopefully that ensures a longer tail.

I think Battlefront 2 stand a much better chance since there won't be premium DLC stuff. + they went even nuttier on the graphic point of view.

I'm looking for a replacement to Overwatch and that's the only tempting one, same boat than you

Rathorial

Multiplayer games that treat themselves like a continuing service, and cater their support to the platform tend to grow and do well on PC. Annualized AAA sequels to games that will be replaced in 1-3 years less so. It doesn't help stuff like Titanfall 2 is stuck on Origin that factually has a fraction of the PC gaming population with the client even installed.

Even Blizzard that is a titan of their own has taken a more service-oriented approach for their more recent games, and it has ensured a healthy population. You have games like Warframe that did this earlier than most games, growing its population over time rather than spiking at releasing and suffering a consistent downturn.

Consoles still have that audience that will buy CoD every year, and stick to certain franchises while not playing much else...but give it a few years and I think console titles will follow suit into service-based titles with less releases like Ubisoft has been open about. Consoles now have x86 based hardware and upgrades now only makes this more possible.

Yeah, don't play annualized console shooters on PC.

PC gamers play PC shooters that they can buy once for $30 or less and don't have to worry about having to jump to the next game in a year.

This is why I'm a bit worried about Destuny 2 PC.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I've pretty much never paid attention to the size of a multiplayer game's active user base. But recently I upgraded my PC, which led me to download some of the best looking, recent AAA shooters like Battlefield 1, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Titanfall 2 (all games I own and still play on PS4). To my surprise, it seemed like barely anyone playing. I was forced to play the most popular mode or not play at all unless I got lucky.

Then, PUBG's concurrent user count was all over the news, making me very curious to see how other games were doing.

First off, Battlefield 1's numbers on PC are pretty disappointing. A new expansion just hit (In the Name of the Tsar) and tonight there were only 6 populated servers running Conquest, 1 running Domination, and 5 running Team Deathmatch (in NA). That seems insane to me. This is during a Premium Trial period and the game is also available on Origin Access. Even still, it's averaging somewhere between 20-30k CCU in the last 30 days. Meanwhile on PS4 it's around 85K in the last 30 days.

How about Star Wars: Battlefront? A 24 hour peak of 5k. Titanfall 2 seems to be around 3K.

Say what you want about Battlefront's quality, but Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 are quality games. Two of the best, in my opinion. What's going on here? Why are PC player counts so low? How does PUBG end up with such a disparate number (currently ~1,460,000)?

Are there too many games coming out now for a game to maintain its playerbase, even with content updates, for more than a couple months? Do these three EA game play too much like "console" games for them to get anywhere near the same numbers on competing platforms? Have the majority of PC gamers moved on to F2P/games-as-a-service? Or mostly just player whatever genre is hot at the moment (moba, survival, etc.)?
There are tens of thousands of PC players. Maybe it's your region?

The only reason you're seeing such high numbers for battlefield, battlefront, etc on consoles is because it's not yet possible to play PUBG on those platforms. Just you wait.

HariKari

Battlefield 1, at least one PC, is unbalanced garbage. There's no operations server browser so you're at the mercy of the matchmaker. Rounds are rarely close, and mostly involve one side getting curb-stomped repeatedly. The maps and gun balance for BF1 are way off, and the effort to help the game via CTE has come far too late. DICE took every lesson they learned with BF3 and BF4 and tossed them out the window.

Titanfall 2 has a similar problem. Most of the game involves hipfire and splash damage cheese. It just isn't that fun to play against others. Despite being well made with fun movement, the core gameplay loop ends up feeling off. The frontier defense mode is fun but it gets repetitive.

I have been playing these two extensively with their addition to Origin access. They simply aren't games that stand the test of time, Titanfall 2 SP aside.

I think people are much better off playing Overwatch, PUBG, Counter-Strike, or R6:Siege. It shows in the numbers.

First off, Battlefield 1's numbers on PC are pretty disappointing. A new expansion just hit (In the Name of the Tsar) and tonight there were only 6 populated servers running Conquest, 1 running Domination, and 5 running Team Deathmatch (in NA). That seems insane to me. This is during a Premium Trial period and the game is also available on Origin Access. Even still, it's averaging somewhere between 20-30k CCU in the last 30 days. Meanwhile on PS4 it's around 85K in the last 30 days.
You should check your filters because I see way more than 6 servers in NA

Battlefield went bad with Bad Company. They made it a console game then, and the series haven't recovered yet. In the late life of 4 they tried to makes some improvements, but when the base is made for consoles it really makes a mediocre FPS game.

"Gamers" are the worst whiny bastards I know when it come sto holding grudges. Origin is a great platform, but the constant propagand by the Steam Covenant makes it look bad. Disgusting little creatures promoting a platform that is ruining PC gaming.

But yeah, people play games that are made for PC first. Big publishers jumped the console bandwagon because console players like to be abused with paid online and whatnot. PC folk has always been quick to react if a publisher or game does something wrong.

EDIT. And piracy my ass, it is a scapegoat for making simplified games for the console crowd.

-hadouken

In Oz/NZ, the population isn't that much better on the consoles. CoD will always be more populated, but in peak times, I end up in more empty BF1 servers than populated.
I've got BF1 for PS4 and X1 - on both platforms I'm getting 20+ full servers during the evenings. No shortage whatsoever. Can also get plenty of TDM, which is impossible to find on PC most of the time.

HowZatOZ

Banned
It just isn't PUBG...

I jest, PC is just a fickle play field for gaming. We tend to stick to older titles because of modability, server architecture availability and most definitely ones that are actually developed with either PC in mind or at least given the time of day to be better on PC purely because of the tech gap.

Destiny 2 will do exceptionally well because of that last factor. I was already going to get it but the fact it played so fucking well sealed the deal even more. I have never played a game that gorgeous and that perfect in balance for some time, it was just so damn good. Plus it's an MMO, which you've also ignored completely along with MOBA titles which are gigantic on PC.

Mifec

Cuningas de Häme;249733278 said:
Battlefield went bad with Bad Company. They made it a console game then, and the series haven't recovered yet. In the late life of 4 they tried to makes some improvements, but when the base is made for consoles it really makes a mediocre FPS game.

"Gamers" are the worst whiny bastards I know when it come sto holding grudges. Origin is a great platform, but the constant propagand by the Steam Covenant makes it look bad. Disgusting little creatures promoting a platform that is ruining PC gaming.

But yeah, people play games that are made for PC first. Big publishers jumped the console bandwagon because console players like to be abused with paid online and whatnot. PC folk has always been quick to react if a publisher or game does something wrong.

EDIT. And piracy my ass, it is a scapegoat for making simplified games for the console crowd.
Origin was an ok platform for a few years yeah, until the last UI update made it look like garbage. As for the bold part- You ok there buddy? Wanna make a thread about how "disgusting little creatures are ruining PC gaming" I'd be really interested in reading it.

It's a host of factors:

-PC gaming is more varied than console gaming. There are super big genres like Strategy that don't even exist in consoles, and indie games are more played (in comparison with the AAA bias in consoles). So with some exceptions, audience isn't as focused in 5-6 AAA games.

-Some of the biggest pc games aren't in Steam. League of Legends, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Overwatch, World of Tanks, etc.

-And that¡s not counting the ones that are in Steam: PUBG, Dota 2, CS, TF2, H1Z1, etc.
You ask "why BF1 hasn't been successful in pc?" and I ask "Why CS hasn't been successful in consoles?"
Different markets.

-
"Say what you want about Battlefront's quality, but Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 are quality games."

BF1 isn't what I would call a quality game. It was a disappointment for me. And surprise surprise, I wasn't the only one thinking that, as in PC the number of player decreased fast, while games like BF4 have been decreasing too, but at a lower pace.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I've got BF1 for PS4 and X1 - on both platforms I'm getting 20+ full servers during the evenings. No shortage whatsoever. Can also get plenty of TDM, which is impossible to find on PC most of the time.

In very limited game modes. It is not populated across the board.

GHG

Cuningas de Häme;249733278 said:

tenor.gif

How did you come to the conclusion steam is ruining pc gaming?

Bluth54

Nobody cares about Titanfall 2 why would they be talking about it?

Yeah some of these numbers are a few months old but unless Titanfall 2 had a large boost in concurrent player count on all platforms (which is possible but seems unlikely, Titanfall console numbers are probably lower at this point) Team Fortress 2 has a much higher concurrent player count on PC than Titanfall 2 has on all 3 platforms.

It's not as much that they hate it, but more that they just aren't using it.
Well in my case EA hasn't made a game I've cared about in like... 7 or 8 years? So that certainly doesn't help. Their big shooters are also annualized AAA console games, which doesn't stack up to a game like CSGO that's been out for 5 years and isn't just dumped.

Oh and the new origin looks like shit so I don't even boot it up out of curiosity anymore.

Battlefield started on PC didn't it?

It did. Look, it's really not such a huge mystery why some popular franchises can't find an audience on PC. These reasons in my opinion are:

1. Mishandling of the franchise by the owner. Both EA and Activision are guilty of this. Modern Warfare 2 and onwards killed the COD franchise on PC, while EA allowed BF4 to launch completely broken and then came the "log into the website to browse servers" shenanigans.

2. Lots of established competition. Activision and EA are the top dogs in the console shooter space. Valve, Blizzard and now Bluehole dominate in the PC space.

3. Console-first development. Most people don't realize it but it matters a lot. There are tons of little details and design principles that betray a game's primary audience and platform. When you will be playing a game for thousands of hours these small details become huge annoyances. I'll give a counter-example: I've been playing Divinity 2 with a controller and item selection and pickup from the environment is annoying as shit compared to the same task with a mouse. This little detail shows that the game has been designed primarily with PCs in mind.

4. Origin. People may disagree but Origin doesn't have a permanent spot on most people's PCs as Steam does. Origin doesn't start automatically when I log into Windows. The fact that Origin is way less popular than Steam means that Origin games have no chance of enticing new players with promotions or updates since noone ever hears about them. I have no idea when Origin has deals or trials or free weekends because the program is not running constantly on my PC. These same games would do much better on Steam.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On GAF, there's this common misconception that PC as a gaming platform is primarily a console with better performance that you don't need to pay an online fee for.

While it can be that for some people, the most popular PC games are very different from the most popular console games. When you look at the absolutely massive MOBAs, the long-running FPS titles like CS:GO and TF2, the recent survival games, things like the various Civilization games pulling >50k combined daily numbers consistently over years, or even the ~70k people playing Divinity:OS2 daily currently, what you notice is that being outstandingly graphically appealing and "pushing the platform" has very little impact on long-term popularity.

This is pretty much the idea. There's something more to PC than just a graphics powerhouse.

Usobuko

Banned
The most popular PC games are a tough competition for your regular AAA ones.

Literally behemoth and usually worldwide appeal.

Yeah, don't play annualized console shooters on PC.

PC gamers play PC shooters that they can buy once for $30 or less and don't have to worry about having to jump to the next game in a year.

This is why I'm a bit worried about Destuny 2 PC.

I think Destiny will be alright on PC. Loot based FPS and seemingly a good port? But I guess we won't have numbers since it's not on Steam so who knows

Duxxy3

In the case of Battlefield 1 (and titanfall 2) it's because I genuinely don't like using origin. I have both on Xbox. If I can avoid Origin I will. Same with Uplay. They're just not as convenient as Steam, where 99% of my PC games are.

In the case of Battlefield 1 (and titanfall 2) it's because I genuinely don't like using origin.

I don't think Origin is a big issue for the masses. I remember BF3 for instance having a larger concurrent player base on PC than console quite often according to that stats site back at release but 3 was the point where they started that server browser on webpage thing iirc. I hated that with a passion and I sorta stopped playing a lot at that point.

Okada

They're just not as convenient as Steam, where 99% of my PC games are.

Seriously? You can literally double click a shortcut or even add them as non Steam games.

You might not like Origin but convenience reality doesn't cut it with me as an excuse to boot up the Xbox instead.

patapuf

BF 1 is a wierd case.

Pretty much all of my friends have been playing BF since 2, but BF 1 was dropped almost immediately. Hardline was not even purchased.

DICE have lost their touch somewhat.

Also, and i have nothing to back that up numbers wise, but i feel Origin has lost popularity since the BF 3 days. Other clients, like BLizzards, seem more popular. (and steam obv.). It was also afwul to use in BF1, the overlays ect. rarely worked right, at least around launch.

Pjsprojects

As a mostly AAA (apart from Hellblade)mostly pc gamer I always seem to get a match on BF1 or SWBF but some controller only players may be put off for fear of being out matched with kb/m gamers.

BF 1 is a wierd case.

Pretty much all of my friends have been playing BF since 2, but BF 1 was dropped almost immediately. Hardline was not even purchased.

DICE have lost their touch somewhat.

-Slower, and less common vehicles.
-Less dynamic action (you can't jump out from a window and fire a rocket launcher, you can't get in/out of a vehicle instantly, etc)
-Less custom severs. Official 64 players servers are terrible. Too much spam everywhere.
-Too good sniper rifles.
-Most maps are too open. Go back to BC2, BF3 and BF4, they had more cover and debris everywhere, so you could play a more aggressive, close-combat style using that cover that obstructed line of sight.

All this made me leave the series.

patapuf

As a mostly AAA (apart from Hellblade)mostly pc gamer I always seem to get a match on BF1 or SWBF but some controller only players may be put off for fear of being out matched with kb/m gamers.

The games are populated, and you'll find players easily. But if you like more niche modes, you might struggle to find matches at times.

Though server browsers mitigate this problem a lot.

PC gamers tend to gravitate towards multiplayer games with a high skill ceiling.

I don't think that's exactly true. Many shooters have a higher skill ceiling on PC due to the control method but Overwatch is hugely popular and it's not hard to play decently there. It would be more accurate to say that PC gamers gravitate more towards PC shooters. COD and EA games haven't been PC shooters for a while and as a result their popularity is waning on PC.

Another "problem" with PC gaming is that old games are kept alive so people are spread out across a greater number of titles, if you don't like the direction BF series is going in, you can still play previous BF titles that are kept alive by the community, some of the abandoned BFs are getting new content even 10+ years after release.

pislit

All these "nobody plays in Origin" must have forgotten their wives, girlfriends, mothers, and aunts playing The Sims 4.

The PC gaming community is just sundered into different specific genres that it only intersects at a game at a time. It may be PUBG today, DOTA 2 yesterday, and Destiny 2 tomorrow, and they'll play this game together with their 4X grand strat, Korean mmorpgs, simulators, 1000th playthrough of Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines, or lewd anime visual novels.

Atomski

Ummm no not anymore

Pretty much every recent shooter has a higher skill ceiling than overwatch and they have far lower playercounts
I feel like overwatch was an anomaly as PC gamers tend to be loyal to Blizzard. That said I feel like many people are starting to move on.

Top Bottom