• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your "price ceiling" for the next-gen systems?

beast786

it's hard to know without knowing all about the system.

But I am 99.9999999% sure will be getting PS4 day 1. Always have with Sony and Nintendo stuff, and nothing is changing as of yet.

Riddler

$400

I bought a 60 Gig PS3 on LAUNCH day, but that's because I was buying a BLURAY player also.

$600 IF the device is "MORE" than just a gaming console & impressive as hell.

PapaJustify.
Gotta say that I am willing to pay a lot depending on what the system has to offer. I really like the subsidizing idea.
Generally I find it interesting to see that people are not willing to pay so much for consoles which in the best case are a one time investment, but pay up to 800$ for a new smartphone or tablet every year.

People are willing to pay more if they are getting a good value (ALL-IN-ONE ITEMS)

Into

399, otherwise ill wait for the price drop.

The only way ill break that if something truly special launches and that usually does not happen at console launches.

I love Tekken, Ridge Racer etc but i am not willing to pay 399+ just to play them =P

I'm expecting on paying up to 700$ after games accessories and so forth. Gotta have my (at least) 4 controllers so I can enjoy the good times with my nephews!

Hopefully both consoles wont launch too close to each other so I don't have to fork all that out at once. :D

Baleoce

I want to say a price, but each console launch is choreographed in such a meticulous manner, that the data they give you in press/shareholder events makes you internally debate just how much you'd be willing to pay for said technology. Also, near-to-launch hype.

I'm expecting $599, but won't pay more than $400 and that's with at least a game or two.

So yeah, probably not getting one for at least a year but might cave if the right games show up quickly enough. Which is unlikely.

Wake me up when GTA6 and/or Red Dead Redemption 2:revolver boogaloo arrive.

My "price ceiling" is seeing how much a quality dedicated company/developer is willing to make an exclusive game that I'm going to like and appeals to me. Possibly more than one game and multiple companies/developers would likely seal the deal.

At that point it's just a matter of time until I get bored and break down for the system.

People are willing to pay more if they are getting a good value (ALL-IN-ONE ITEMS)

I agree, but consoles can a lot as well. It's not so much that it's so much because I can see the worth (600-700$) but EVERY YEAR? And then being thrifty about 400$ for a console that holds 5 years? Hmmm...

pelican

Not too bothered.

There is no point me sitting and pretending that I will wait and see. I did that with the Wii U and still ended up buying a Premium Zombi U console pack on launch day. I've come to the fact that this year gaming will be more expensive than most. However depending on Haswell and 700/8000 GPU benchmarks I might not upgrade the Ivybridge/7970 Lightning in my PC.

$299 with a decent size hard drive. Anymore than that I'd consider building a gaming PC, which I've been wanting to do since my old one crapped out a couple years back.

$399 if they blow me away, but $299 if not. I prefer a subsidized one with my cable box for $199. I think Microsoft is going to do that.

ShutEye

Unless I get some crazy deal like last time I'll be sitting the new gen out for a couple years.
The primary factor isn't really price though, its that last gen's launches and the WiiU launch are just filled with substandard quality samples and I don't want to participate in that roulette wheel again.

I think I paid about $250 for the Xbox 360 in 2006 (via Japan), and it was still nervous going for the 1st couple of years due to RROD. Not interested at almost any price.

I guess I'll probably get a WiiU in about a year and catch up on the Wii software I missed then see from there about the others.

EGM1966

Don't really have one (I mean in the sense neither is going to be some crazy price like $1000 plus). Depends on what value I perceive they offer for the price.

Ushae

Banned
£450 for the base unit, with the hopes that the base unit is a relatively powerful and worth the price tag. I've got my eye on Durango, but Sony looks great too.

Personally it's all about 3 things for me. The games, the services and the controller/extras.

Swig_

$300, unless it really offers something amazing.

If it's more than that and I don't feel the need to spend more, I'll be waiting for price drops. My PS3s are fine for now.

In fact, I'm really interested to hear more about the Steambox before I make any purchases.

Top Bottom