• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When a Console is mentioned, What Boxart Immediatly pops into your head?

Erebus

gran-turismo-3-aspec-20196131492943_1.jpg

Last edited:
I read the guy commissioned to draw that had like an hour before it had to be sent off for printing.
It was over night, but the guy wasn't even a commission artist. He was literally just the friend of someone at Capcom America who was asked to do it in an evening. They gave him a few pictures and explained nothing about the game. He did the best he could with what he had, I guess. Mega Man was a game I played so much I could beat it without even considering that it was a hard game. Now, 35 years later, i'm old, I can beat souls games without too much trouble, but I get destroyed when I fire up MM1&2. I just don't have the timing down anymore.

Last edited:
NES: (this is the only retro game I own a sealed copy of, it is the game that truly sparked my love for Role Playing Games. My second JRPG, but the first I fell in love with)
Final Fantasty

SNES:
Final Fantasy 6

Genesis:
Phantasy Star 4

Dreamcast:
Grandia

N64:
Ocarina of Time

PSX: (It was not, and will never be "PSOne". It was ALWAYS PSX to those of us who were there)
But this brings TWO games to mind right away, one of which, Xenogears, doesn't get nearly enough love! (and is still my favourite JRPG of all time) I own both the American and Japanese versions.
Xenogears and FF7

PS2:
Dragon Quest 8

Obviously, there is certainly a throughline of JRPG's being my favourite games ever since I discovered FF. They are certainly still among my favourites, but there are only a few series im truly all in on, and I play a lot more action/action rpg's than I did back then.

Edit: Well, that didn't work, so I listed the game above the links.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I'm kinda gonna cheat here because Commodore 64 wasn't a console, but the C64GS was an official console version of it.

Anyway, I just need to post the hottest boxart of all time: Saboteur II.
6433948-saboteur-ii-fhyif0.jpg
The ninja obsession of the late 80s gave us some of the best pop art of all time. Shadow the Hedgehog couldn’t be edgier and cooler if he really tried.

begotten

Awesome thread idea as this is something I think about all the time or that just jolts through my mind when I talk about games to people. Here are some fun picks:

NES:

iu

SNES:

iu

NGB:

iu

GBC:

iu

N64:

iu

PS1:

iu

mrmustard

Banned
I could never beat this game as a kid lol:

iu

Meanwhile this was my favourite The Simpsons game:

iu

Seriously fuck all the NGB ones lol.
Bart vs the Juggernauts was not too hard, i remember just one of those minigames being tough. I think i beat it once. Never played the Itchy and Scratchy game, but loved Virtual Bart and Bart's Nightmare on SNES. Both hard games.

Last edited:

Bond007

NES- Duck Hunt
SNES - FZERO
GENESIS - Sonic 1
PSX - Twisted Metal
N64- Goldeneye
Dreamcast - Soul Calibur or that hoverboard game.
PS2- Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
Xbox- Halo
PS3- Heavily Sword for whatever reason. LMAO
360- Condemned Criminal Orgins

Will leave out new consoles. I also suppose i tend to remember launch titles fondly when a older console pops into my head. However, some of those are also all time favorites in different ways.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
GOAT box art ICONIC isn't a strong enough word.
71zY1hWITWL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

More so just the Red Box itself. US Saturn with its White version was a big letdown after this
s-l1600.jpg

Love this minimalist design. Special note to Black Disk being beyond awesome.

71XbLFYlW9L.jpg

Special shout out to these Zelda Boxes.
61PNacvKx-L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
711axQg5HkL.jpg
the_legend_of_zelda_a_link_to_the_past_box_art.jpg
1772819201_LegendofZeldaThe-OcarinaofTime(USA).png.b09ded7d2f534a89f61fd9dfb793643f.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom