• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When it comes to features, Nintendo is annoyingly ADD

Jubenhimer

There's one thing that annoys me with Nintendo and their approach to features. And it's their habit adding and dropping features from their consoles whenever they damn feel like it. For example.

* Pictochat - An application that lets you send text and drawn messages to nearby DS owners.
Fate: Axed entirely for the 3DS
* StreetPass - A feature that lets your 3DS communicate with and exchange data from other nearby systems even in sleep mode
Fate: Dropped for the Nintendo Switch, a system who's main selling point is taking it with you
* Wii Channels - A variety of applications for the Wii that allowed you to check the Forecasts, News, vote on popular Miis, view Photos, and more
Fate: Most were dropped in future systems, or retro-fitted into other features
* Virtual Console - A service that sold Retro titles from various systems like the NES as individual downloads
Fate: Replaced with Netflix-style apps as part of your Nintendo Switch Online Subscription
* Miiverse - A social media service dedicated to games that allowed you to posts screens, drawings, and tips relating to compatible titles
Fate: Closed, and replaced with the ability to post Captured Screens and Video Clips to third party social media services
* Sound, Camera, Activity Logs - Apps that let you playback audio files, take and view photos, and check your Play history on the 3DS
Fate: All three of them are gone, with the Activity Log reduced to a heavily stripped down feature in your Nintendo Switch user profile.

And that's just a sampling of the features Nintendo drops when they get bored of them. For the record, I'm fine with the Switch's lightweight OS as it's a rather refreshing change of pace from other devices, and I get removing features that nobody uses. But many of these were actually cool and well supported features for their respective systems.

What's the point in Nintendo introducing all these cool features, only to drop them the next system with no logic or consistency. Their ADHD philosophy regarding console features has always been a rather annoying trait about their products.

Jubenhimer

I'll never consider the Switch anything but a step down coming from the 3DS and Wii U. It's so bare bones and it doesnt even really do anything all that better to make up for it.

It's actually a faster, more responsive system than either the 3DS or Wii U, which were so painfuly slow to navigate that it was a chore to do anything on those systems. The Switch is light on features, but it's fast, snappy, and focused on games. I still want more functionality, but I'm fine with the minimalistic approach to the system.

-Arcadia-

Banned
For better or worse, Nintendo seems to approach consoles like they do game sequels.

Every new installment is a reboot, built from the ground up.

In a sense, I don’t mind that, as it can get a rid of unneeded cruft, and provide a fresh, exciting new perspective, but if you especially loved something on the prior system/game, it can be kind of disappointing.

That would be like Google re-inventing all their services for each version of Android... and dropping support for the previous apps soon after a new version is released.

kunonabi

It's actually a faster, more responsive system than either the 3DS or Wii U, which were so painfuly slow to navigate that it was a chore to do anything on those systems. The Switch is light on features, but it's fast, snappy, and focused on games. I still want more functionality, but I'm fine with the minimalistic approach to the system.

I never found the other consoles all that slow to begin with and I've never once been impressed by how snappy the switch is. I'm sure it's faster but it's not significantly improving my experience enough to notice.

Jubenhimer

I never found the other consoles all that slow to begin with and I've never once been impressed by how snappy the switch is. I'm sure it's faster but it's not significantly improving my experience enough to notice.

The 3DS wasn't too bad in the beginning. It was only after updates added more features that it began slowing to a crawl, unless you were on the New 3DS. Wii U was just slow all around. So slow, they needed to launch two updates just to make using the damn thing bearable, and even then it was still too slow.

The Switch is a device that doesn't waste your time. You click on a game, and you're there within seconds. Even with less features, it's way more responsive and better to use than the 3DS or Wii U was.

-Arcadia-

Banned
That would be like Google re-inventing all their services for each version of Android... and dropping support for the previous apps soon after a new version is released.

So that would be like how Google is, on the latter part. : P

I get your point, though, but I had to get that jab at them in.

Ten_Fold

I see a lot of Nintendo switch systems where I live, I wish they added street pass, you could be sitting in your car in a plaza with WiFi and could easily exchange data. Also miiverse would’ve been soo cool on the switch.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally don't care for any apps or streaming service for Switch, I already have smart TV, tablet and PC for all of that. What I like about UI in Switch is its fast, painless and on point. As soon as turn on my system I just want to hop in to my game thats all, I don't need anything else honestly.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

I love Nintendo's games but I agree with the op wholeheartedly. This nonsense must stop. Nintendo fucking sucks in terms of going forward with their own ideas.

What's even more frustraiting is that with features that people actually want, Nintendo is fine with taking their sweet ass time releasing them. I don't mind waiting for features so long as we get them in some form. But Nintendo's total lack of consistency regarding what features it adds and drops in its systems will always be one of its weakest points. Seriously, just pick a set of core features, and stick to them.

What, no? Android absolutely needs to keep (pretty much) full backwards compatibility for all apps with each version. How is it the same thing as when Nintendo releases entirely new products or a new generation of consoles?

Last edited:

Rin_Chan

Neo Member
Wii Channels
Nostalgia overload! I loved these channels! Wouldn't it be great if Nintendo integrated them on the Switch and you could see live weather and news updates on the Switch lockscreen? Will never happen :(
Also, the Switch home menu is TOO barebones - try having more than 10 games, navigating it is annoying.

RealGassy

Banned
Oh, Nintendo is just reducing the attack surface.
You either have no features or you get hacked.
Audio players, video players, browsers, anything that takes input data from SD or any other external non-verified source is an attack vector.
And they are taking that shit very seriously this time around.
I don't see any other explanation for this.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I am sorry, but given its HW superiority over Vita I am not going to give it a cookie for that: PS Vita OS had tons of features and is as fast and as responsive as the Switch... on a much slower CPU and lot less RAM. It is a lowering of standards to take Switch and give it a pass because it is “focused on games” OS wise.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I personally don't care for any apps or streaming service for Switch, I already have smart TV, tablet and PC for all of that. What I like about UI in Switch is its fast, painless and on point. As soon as turn on my system I just want to hop in to my game thats all, I don't need anything else honestly.

Glad for you, some of us miss MiiVerse and its approach to a gaming focused social network and how it integrated with games (think of stickers instead of trophies) or StreetPass when out and about, it other fun focused most features that do not have to slow down the experience for you either (think of Wii and DS OS).

Danjin44

Glad for you, some of us miss MiiVerse and its approach to a gaming focused social network and how it integrated with games (think of stickers instead of trophies) or StreetPass when out and about, it other fun focused most features that do not have to slow down the experience for you either (think of Wii and DS OS).
Honestly never end up using any of those features when I own those systems. To this day I treat my current console same way I treated PS1 and PS2, just put in the games and play, I just never bothered with all the extra stuff. It just opinion, I don’t care if Nintendo decides add those features in or not as long as doesn’t slow down Switch’s current OS.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Honestly never end up using any of those features when I own those systems. To this day I treat my current console same way I treated PS1 and PS2, just put in the games and play, I just never bothered with all the extra stuff. It just opinion, I don’t care if Nintendo decides add those features in or not as long as doesn’t slow down Switch’s current OS.
If it slowed it down it would be Nintendo’s fault as you have PS Vita as an example of a super fast and much much more features rich system on much much weaker portable HW.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t know if it’s so much tertiary features that slowed previous OSes down, so I agree on that, but rather things like loading high quality music, hundreds of Miis, beautiful animations everywhere... Nintendo put a lot of charm and polish into those menus, but I think it kind of had the effect of slowing everything down.

Not quite my area of expertise, so I happily await a correction if I’m off the mark here.

Danjin44

If it slowed it down it would be Nintendo’s fault as you have PS Vita as an example of a super fast and much much more features rich system on much much weaker portable HW.
Isn’t that also true with PS4, the OS in that system is much slower than both PSVita and Switch even tho it’s much more powerful system.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Isn’t that also true with PS4, the OS in that system is much slower than both PSVita and Switch even tho it’s much more powerful system.
It is generally pretty fast, but not as fast as they filled the UI with web stuff instead of native components because... reasons :p (easier skinning and A/B testing for them... maybe)

BlackTron

If the Wii U OS was different I would feel way more motivated to deck it out with mods and games because the thing has incredible capability, even playing Gamecube games natively.

But the system is so shitty and clunky to use with its laggy OS and awkward gamepad, I'm deflated every time I look or think about it. Losing features, to me, was a small price to pay for a system that respects my time. Switch is so snappy it's great.

Still I'm keeping the U as my last-standing Nintendo system if I ever need to let go of my Wii, GC, N64 etc because it really will play just about everything up to Switch. Lately I been thinking about how much space it takes, all the physical carts and boxes and crap...

Oh who am I kidding. I'll take my OG systems and games to the grave!

Jubenhimer

I am sorry, but given its HW superiority over Vita I am not going to give it a cookie for that: PS Vita OS had tons of features and is as fast and as responsive as the Switch... on a much slower CPU and lot less RAM. It is a lowering of standards to take Switch and give it a pass because it is “focused on games” OS wise.

Even if it didn't slow down the OS, I still like the Switch's relatively minimalistic approach to features. It feels like a modern retro console, which is refreshing compared to other devices. I still want more features added though, but I think the Switch OS is fine as it is.

Still, that doesn't change the fact that Nintendo has no consistency with features. Why bother introducing all this cool stuff one console, if you're just going to get bored an throw it all away the next?

BlackTron

Why bother introducing all this cool stuff one console, if you're just going to get bored an throw it all away the next?

People used Miiverse to draw one million dick pics.

The web browser was used to exploit the system.

The Wii TV thing was a good idea, but they never even had a big enough install base of Wii U owners to be worth the support.

I'm not defending Nintendo dropping features -but there are definitely reasons for their decisions. They don't just flip a coin, things are always changing.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Even if it didn't slow down the OS, I still like the Switch's relatively minimalistic approach to features. It feels like a modern retro console, which is refreshing compared to other devices. I still want more features added though, but I think the Switch OS is fine as it is.

I admit it is sleek and fast, but it seems to be so because of how barebone it is. Considering that they still have not figured out how to render the OS UI in 1080p when docked (and how feature such as folders are still not out) and the console is yet another increase in price generation over generation I am less inclined in giving them a pass over this.

Wii was able to have an identity, cool features, and still a refreshing focus on games. Despite how poorly they implemented it, Wii U had really unique features that Nintendo just did not want to bother maintaining and decided to save a few bucks by killing them like MiiVerse.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People used Miiverse to draw one million dick pics.
Honestly, I never saw a single dick pic on MiiVerse, save the ones people would post as proof in other online forums of how somehow got past the moderators.
Tons of non unsafe content in the network and stepping up the moderation (especially as they went from free online to a yearly fee) is a problem that they needed to work ok. Paying more for online and getting sane or less effort from them seems odd.

The web browser was used to exploit the system.

Proper security can be implemented, they have the resources to hire good engineers and secure the system at least as well as other players like MS and Sony can.

There are a few features I miss, but most of those listed were abandoned because people didn't really use them all that much. Most ended up being a novelty you'd look at once in a while. I had a Wii U and never used Miiverse. It was an interesting experiment, but probably wasn't worth the effort to maintain and moderate. I also appreciate how snappy the Switch OS is. Navigating my old 2DS is painful.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There are a few features I miss, but most of those listed were abandoned because people didn't really use them all that much. Most ended up being a novelty you'd look at once in a while. I had a Wii U and never used Miiverse. It was an interesting experiment, but probably wasn't worth the effort to maintain and moderate. I also appreciate how snappy the Switch OS is. Navigating my old 2DS is painful.

I used MiiVerse a lot, actually many people did maybe without realising it as many games integrated MiiVerse messages by other players in several parts of the game and yes I would not want a janky slow OS, but considering the cost of a Switch and the HW it runs on I find thinking they could not give the features to the gamers who would use them (considering how much space they have on PC game launchers, Xbox, and PS, they are popular).

How would having a cart in their eShop, folders in the OS, Netflix, something like MiiVerse, etc... hurt you? I cannot think their OS would have to become shitty and slow if they did provide those features...unless they phoned the implementation in and in that case it is contempt they would be showing to you their customer.

Sakura

The Miiverse was my favourite thing about the Wii U. I spent more time on it than I did playing games. Talked to lots of cool people.

Jubenhimer

If they can save a minute of dev time, they will do it. They are disgustingly cheap.

I don't even think it's that. I think Nintendo simply just has a strange lack of commitment to a lot of their features. They introduce something cool and we'll supported one gen, then it's gone by the next system as they chase the next butterfly on their desk. It's not the lack of features that bothers me. It's the complete lack of consistency regarding what features they add.

Nintendo has a seriously bad case of ADHD in this regard, and that's always been a big flaw with their consoles.

Last edited:

zenspider

I'll never consider the Switch anything but a step down coming from the 3DS and Wii U. It's so bare bones and it doesnt even really do anything all that better to make up for it.

Get a stopwatch and fire up your WiiU.

I admit it is sleek and fast, but it seems to be so because of how barebone it is. Considering that they still have not figured out how to render the OS UI in 1080p when docked (and how feature such as folders are still not out) and the console is yet another increase in price generation over generation I am less inclined in giving them a pass over this.

Wii was able to have an identity, cool features, and still a refreshing focus on games. Despite how poorly they implemented it, Wii U had really unique features that Nintendo just did not want to bother maintaining and decided to save a few bucks by killing them like MiiVerse.

I don't know if it's a fact, but it seems that Nintendo has switched it's internal metrics to reflect the real competition - that is attention and focus.

Like I said, I don't have any internal memos, but it explains their decisions and their success: looking at the competition in terms of an 'attention economy', simply put, they don't want you dicking around on thier platform: Netflix, MiiVerse (social media), browsers, instant messaging, etc., on their device. These are not forms of engagement Nintendo is leveraging their USPs - they're better served by other platforms and devices.
They want you playing games, period. That's the battlefield they can win on.

Last edited:

Katsura

2 and a half years in and I'm still waiting for folders to sort my games by purchase region/eshop account. I'm on a secondary system so I can only play games with the user that bought them...
Facts. I expected this to be the top request when i entered the thread. I don't care much about all kinds of secondary apps when basic functionality such as folders still is missing

RavageX

I found miiverse to be an incredible thing, along with streetpass. I really don't see why they were taken away. The rest I'm fine without.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
The loss of Miiverse was a heavy one.

A space not yet marred by discussions of things like politics or real life issues. No real cliques or in-groups. It was just people, talking. A way for people of all ages from all across the world from all walks of life to find each other and talk about their interests and hobbies. Just drawing fan art, talking about how to get past a tough boss fight or finding secrets, and just having a good time.

The part that fascinated me the most, was that because the sheer accessibility and intuitiveness created a community mostly filled with young dumb kids, it had a sort They said and did whatever dumb thing was on their mind. It was like a window into the human soul. Children RP’ing with their overpowered anime OCs, talking about how much they hate a game because they don’t understand the mechanics (“Y metroid can’t crawl?”), making fan art and fanfiction when they still can’t draw or write that well, etc.

It’s all cringeworthy, but it reminds me of when I was that age. A time when I was too young to worry about anything other than tough bossfights.

I mocked it to hell and back when it was active, but I really do miss it. From the way all other social media and fan sites have evolved, such an atmosphere no longer exists. Everything’s been taken over by either ideologues or fetishists. Shit sucks.

PhoenixTank

What, no? Android absolutely needs to keep (pretty much) full backwards compatibility for all apps with each version. How is it the same thing as when Nintendo releases entirely new products or a new generation of consoles?
They are referring to Google's own apps/services, not the OS. The life, death and reinvention of their various messaging services is an infamous running joke now.
Not a perfect comparison and I'd say the situation is more severe with Google.

I am still surprised by the lack of StreetPass on Switch and as OP says, it would have been a good fit. The rest all posed some sort of obvious ongoing burden or were flawed. Miis in particular have a massively reduced presence overall now, not just limited to the Miiverse shutdown - marketing decision, perhaps? I don't remember which exec was responsible for the momentum behind Miis.

Jubenhimer

I don't remember which exec was responsible for the momentum behind Miis.

It was Miyamoto. Ever since the Famicom Disk System, he'd been trying to get a character creation game off the ground, but Nintendo had turned it down multiple times thinking it wasn't really a game. While he was trying again to do it for the Wii, a team in a seperate department of Nintendo was working on similar concept for a DS game. When Iwata showed him what the DS team was doing, he decided ditch the team he had originally been working with, and brought the DS onto the Wii project to adapt the concept into one of the console's main features.

VertigoOA

Banned
Nintendo charges premium for underpowered and featureless hardware

It’s unfortunate that they tend to scale back on features or fail to keep up with modern standards altogether where it really seems as if they’re a decade behind their competitors.

Mii verse was pretty fun tho. There was some exceptional art. It was the most “social” thing they’ve ever done as we all know they continuously and massively fuck up online gaming more and more with each generation.

Jubenhimer

It’s unfortunate that they tend to scale back on features or fail to keep up with modern standards altogether where it really seems as if they’re a decade behind their competitors.

With the exception of Online gaming, I don't really believe so. In many ways, they're actually ahead of the curve in terms of things that arguably matter more. Such as meticulous game design, and controller interfaces. Even the features they do introduce on their consoles are a lot of times rather forward thinking. So the problem isn't that they're behind in everything

Their problem stems more from a lack of commitment to a lot of these console features. They do this every generation, where they introduce a feature that's cool and novel, support it for a good amount of games, then they get bored and abandon it for some new shiny thing the next generation. It's quite annoying honestly, some of these features like Street Pass could very well be fleshed out and improved upon, rather than tossed in the trash once they're no longer needed.

VertigoOA

Banned
With the exception of Online gaming, I don't really believe so. In many ways, they're actually ahead of the curve in terms of things that arguably matter more. Such as meticulous game design, and controller interfaces. Even the features they do introduce on their consoles are a lot of times rather forward thinking. So the problem isn't that they're behind in everything

Their problem stems more from a lack of commitment to a lot of these console features. They do this every generation, where they introduce a feature that's cool and novel, support it for a good amount of games, then they get bored and abandon it for some new shiny thing the next generation. It's quite annoying honestly, some of these features like Street Pass could very well be fleshed out and improved upon, rather than tossed in the trash once they're no longer needed.

Nintendo is not the end all be all of game design. Aside from BotW their efforts are fairly average for the most part. I used to say the same shit ... before I got an xbox...

Controller interfaces? Such as what? Motion controls? They’re gone. Or the unusable midget controllers for the switch?

:messenger_confused:

I’ll go to bat for Yamauchi era Nintendo but Iwata fucking took a shit on it all.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Nintendo is not the end all be all of game design. Aside from BotW their efforts are fairly average for the most part.

Of course they're not. But they're often one of the best developers at creating finely tuned and meticulous gameplay experiences. They're better than a lot of today's AAA studios at it is what I'm saying.

Controller interfaces? Such as what? Motion controls? They’re gone. Practically unusable midget controllers for the switch?

A Motion Controlled game for the Switch just released 2 weeks ago. But even ignoring those, Nintendo has helped made things like the D-Pad, Shoulder buttons, Analog Stick, Touch Screen, and Rumble integral to the modern controllers we know know.

I’ll go to bat for Yamauchi era Nintendo but Iwata fucking took a shit on it all.

You mean the same Iwata that led Nintendo to arguably its most critically and commercially successful period of the Wii and DS, and has laid the groundwork for the Nintendo Switch as we know it? Yamauchi was a genius, but that doesn't take away from Iwata's accomplishments either. Besides, Iwata was chosen personally by Yamauchi anyway.

Top Bottom